• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dbc0919

Reaction score

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As designated v-cleat director of welt cleaning R&D it is my duty to report that your local Aldi stores are carrying store brand toothbrush heads that fit the Sonicare-3pk for $10(compared with Costco Sonicare brush heads 4pk for $40!) Aldi stuff changes weekly on Wednesday but they often have leftovers. I’ve personally tested them and they have made the grade.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the gunboats, and certainly a newer model, but any thoughts on this pair of shortwing Florsheim Imperials? Size 13AA is always a challenge to find and they look barely worn.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Florsheim-...hoes-Burgundy-Leather-Size-13-2A/192433512653

1988?
1998?
The “H” is a “7” (A is zero) and I believe the Royal Imperial “Scepter “ logo was replaced by a boring all-caps logo by ‘97 so I’m guessing 1987.I had a pair of Royal Imperials similar to those from the early 90’s and they had a plastic-y corrected grain that yours don’t seem to have-I think yours are still in the better quality years just before things really started sliding

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit, Moderator's note: Please do not quote spam.

Dude,this is a Vintage Shoe Thread,I don’t know if catalog is going to find much here

Last edited by a moderator:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok fellow Church enthusiasts. Here are the results of the recraft by Church's. I know these are NOT vintage shoes per @smfdoc 's strict criterion. But good to share info!

Costs = 150 British pounds (recraft was 120, and shipping was further 30). No taxes on the way back. Shipping to England was about another $45 Canadian. So in total, $285 Canadian ($220US). Not cheap.

Original condition of shoes: I bought these used, and they were in fair condition. Not overly beat up, with normal creases and no damages to body. Soles and heel showed regular wear. Interior had no rips or tears, which tells me original owner used shoe trees. Soles were also not curled so again, shoe trees likely used.

Recraft: Church's e-mail indicated the following: "Refurbishment covers: Complete long sole and heel replacement, with shoes being pulled over original last, new heel sock and pad, new insole if necessary, re polished and returned in a new box with new shoe bags."

The shoes came back about 8 weeks later, which is in tune with their original estimate. Shoes came with new box, and shoe bags. Nice touch. As you can all see, the heels and soles were completely replaced. Stitching on the soles are clean, and inside of the groove. The sole is definitely not high quality like JR. The insoles were NOT replaced. They simply glued a new one over the existing one. The old creases in the vamp area still exist. I recognize that creases can NEVER be completely removed, but I don't feel this part has changed from the original condition. The heels are nicely nailed and the nailing is lined.

The original body was never in bad shape, as I polished and conditioned them. So the new polishing didn't add anything.

The original condition had the exterior heel area marked up and grazed by something. Those superficial knicks were fixed.

Fit remains the same. I thought it would tighten up to original. This is a 8.5G size. I'm a 8.5EEE for American shoes. So for this particular Church's shoe, I likely can go to 8G or even 8.5F.

Final analysis: Very expensive recraft. Took a long time. The final product is excellent, as original parts were used. New box and shoe bags are nice, but not absolutely necessary. I likely wouldn't send another pair of Church's to their factory for recraft. Would more likely go with a reputable cobbler in Canada or USA where costs are lower, and quicker turnaround.

View attachment 909169

View attachment 909170

View attachment 909171

View attachment 909172

View attachment 909173

View attachment 909174

View attachment 909175

View attachment 909177

View attachment 909178

View attachment 909179

Update: I contacted Church's about the creases, and that the insock and padding were never replaced.

They have offered to redo that work, and all shipping at their expense.

This is nice, but I don't think I'll ever use their service again. Better to find a reputable cobbler.

stevenmgrr

Reaction score
How many of you use insoles to adjust the sizing of your shoes? Specifically, have you utilized an insole to get a tighter fit on a shoe that was slightly wide?

Steven M

LLEE

Reaction score
Advice on old canvassed/cloth spectators, or otherwise vented shoes? I know there's at least one member here with a couple nice examples. Can the dirt be washed or bleached out of the fabric effectively, or even replaced by a good cobbler or seamstress? I've been eyeing a few old pairs. Thank you :).

actionjbone

Reaction score
How many of you use insoles to adjust the sizing of your shoes? Specifically, have you utilized an insole to get a tighter fit on a shoe that was slightly wide?

I've done it before. It's a good way to get a more secure fit when the shoe is just a little off.

Dr. Scholl's makes a half-length dress shoe gel insert that works pretty well for this, it raises up your heel just a little without substantially altering the fit of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads