• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the Hanovers I originally bought to commemorate my dad - too tight in the vamp area. I am likely 9 EEE for Hanover. Sigh.

Then I came across these Dacks in 8.5G, which SHOULD fit me. Like I needed another pair of black toe caps. I promise I will be doing that review for you gentlemen (I'm now up to 7 pairs of black toe cap. Yikes).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dacks-Black-Cap-Toe-Balmoral-Imported-Calf-Size-8-5G-8-5-EEE-8-5-3E-LIKE-NEW/162856234915?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They look to be in pretty good shape. The topy will be good as I will use for my rain days.

The addiction is getting out of hand.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the Hanovers I originally bought to commemorate my dad - too tight in the vamp area. I am likely 9 EEE for Hanover. Sigh.

Then I came across these Dacks in 8.5G, which SHOULD fit me. Like I needed another pair of black toe caps. I promise I will be doing that review for you gentlemen (I'm now up to 7 pairs of black toe cap. Yikes).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dacks-Black-Cap-Toe-Balmoral-Imported-Calf-Size-8-5G-8-5-EEE-8-5-3E-LIKE-NEW/162856234915?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They look to be in pretty good shape. The topy will be good as I will use for my rain days.

The addiction is getting out of hand.

I found Hanovers just a touch tight in the vamp as well. Going up 1/2 in length helps asI, too, am already at eee.

M.Photog

Reaction score
I'm back in the office after a day of "sick"/"work from home" in my 1971 Florsheim PTBs. It will never not amaze me to be wearing a pair of shoes that are older than me by more than half my age.

View attachment 910530

To accomplish that i'm going to need to go pre 1902, I started 6th grade in 1971. It is nice see a young person who appreciates things that last.

M.Photog

Reaction score
According to vcleat.com: Crosby Square – Premium brand of Mid-States Shoe Co.

Don't know Mid-States Shoe Co. either. But from what I've seen on ebay, and without benefit of having handled or worn a pair, I'd guess they are at level of Dexter or Oakwood. Still better than most modern day stuff made abroad. I think NOS pair would be worth having.

Let us know if you buy them! We need reviews of the lesser known vintage brands.

I agree, along with the very best brands that are often discussed here I believe there are many others that are still far better than most of what is available today.

M.Photog

Reaction score
Here is my rant for the day. Not far from where I live is the world headquarters for Shoe Carnival, ten acres of disposable footwear all under one roof. Their loading dock can accommodate over 50 semi trailers at the same time. What i can only assume is their "flagship store" nearby has a guy with a microphone who screams at everyone who leaves without buying anything.

I went there recently to buy shoe laces. After my search failed I finally asked for help and was directed to a small end cap that contained their entire selection of laces and a very small assortment shoe care products including polish. If I had bought everything it would have fit in a small shoe box. Apparently they don't expect anyone to polish their shoes or for the shoes to last long enough to need new laces.

Despite living near a metro area that draws from an area of approximately 300,000 people i still need to drive over 100 miles to buy a decent pair of shoes. Civilization has made less progress in the last 40 years than you might think.

I feel better now;)

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the number but i believe so, someone will be along shortly to give more details.:)
Thank you. For some reason I thought I saw someone post a photo wearing a pair. They were stunning...

M.Photog

Reaction score
Thank you. For some reason I thought I saw someone post a photo wearing a pair. They were stunning...

I believe they are far less common. I wonder if the tanners have trouble finding the right shells to make that color.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my rant for the day. Not far from where I live is the world headquarters for Shoe Carnival, ten acres of disposable footwear all under one roof. Their loading dock can accommodate over 50 semi trailers at the same time. What i can only assume is their "flagship store" nearby has a guy with a microphone who screams at everyone who leaves without buying anything.

I went there recently to buy shoe laces. After my search failed I finally asked for help and was directed to a small end cap that contained their entire selection of laces and a very small assortment shoe care products including polish. If I had bought everything it would have fit in a small shoe box. Apparently they don't expect anyone to polish their shoes or for the shoes to last long enough to need new laces.

Despite living near a metro are that draws from an area of approximately 300,000 people i still need to drive over 100 miles to buy a decent pair of shoes. Civilization has made less progress in the last 40 years than you might think.

I feel better now;)

In Canada, I find that most men who wear nice clothes, will wear crappy footwear. The disposable Rockport and Ecco's.

One day I was at an Ecco store with my family. The sales lady was working hard to convince to try a few pairs. I politely declined.

One customer made the comment that Ecco is the most comfortable shoe ever, and he wouldn't wear anything else.

He asked me if I agreed. I respectfully disagreed. He pointed to my shoes - vintage Florsheims made in Canada. He asked how could those heavy luggers be more comfortable. I decided to walk away instead of engaging a moron.

So to your point - majority of people wear disposable footwear which ends up in landfills and thrift stores. We are a minority who appreciate the finer things and want to look good and feel good.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a silly question. Is there a such thing as a Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor LWB in black shell cordovan? If it is, that is on my Grail List.

Not silly at all. The 92612, Produced from 1962 to 1980, Here was my pair, until I sold them to @anchorman12. Check out other Florsheim shell models here.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads