• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the topic of shoes, but if anybody has a car coming off lease, be sure to check the value of that car before returning it to a dealer and getting charged a disposition fee and the cost of a new set of tires they'll tell you the car needs. Prices for both new and used cars been going through the roof this year, due to a shortage of chips among other things. A real-world example (mine):

My 2019 Subaru Outback has a contractual option to buy the vehicle at lease-end (November in my case) for just over $20K. Looking ahead, I plugged the VIN into a used car site and got an immediate offer for $25K. So you know they'd be reselling the car to another driver for $28K or more if they could get it, which they very well could since it's pretty loaded, even though it only has the smaller 2.5L engine. No wonder I've been getting so many friendly emails from the dealer offering to discuss my lease-end options. I'm just going to buy it, it would be a crime to just hand the dealer ~$8K profit for a car they'll sell in a day or two.

Just a heads-up so bros don't leave money on the table. Oh and BTW if you've been commuting less lately and are under the mileage allowance on the lease that has value too, so even if you turn the car back in, make sure you get credit for that.
/backontopic

Last edited:

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to have you back, brother. I'm always hesitant to ask why a member hasn't been posting.
I was wearing flip flops and boat shoes for the past 18 months, that is all.
Thankfully, vaccinated and mostly healthy for the duration.
I truly hope that all here have been healthy as well.

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Off the topic of shoes, but if anybody has a car coming off lease, be sure to check the value of that car before returning it to a dealer and getting charged a disposition fee and the cost of a new set of tires they'll tell you the car needs. Prices for both new and used cars been going through the roof this year, due to a shortage of chips among other things. A real-world example (mine):

My 2019 Subaru Outback has a contractual option to buy the vehicle at lease-end (November in my case) for just over $20K. Looking ahead, I plugged the VIN into a used car site and got an immediate offer for $25K. So you know they'd be reselling the car to another driver for $28K or more if they could get it, which they very well could since it's pretty loaded, even though it only has the smaller 2.5L engine. No wonder I've been getting so many friendly emails from the dealer offering to discuss my lease-end options. I'm just going to buy it, it would be a crime to just hand the dealer ~$8K profit for a car they'll sell in a day or two.

Just a heads-up so bros don't leave money on the table. Oh and BTW if you've been commuting less lately and are under the mileage allowance on the lease that has value too, so even if you turn the car back in, make sure you get credit for that.
/backontopic
Good point CWO:
Couldn’t agree more, I’ve been there and done that with those dastardly dealers. I drive a Porsche Cayenne which I will run into the ground and I’m buying a vintage/classic/old Ford F-150 step side next week.
kilowatts

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore one of my pairs of J&M shell wingtips today; these will need new soles soon since there are soft spots. I'm definitely going with JR for this job.
0B851490-0A39-44B3-AAB8-66B941DEAF18.jpeg

I'm not superstitious, but I seem to have better luck thrifting luxury brands when I'm wearing nice shoes.
61DCEA5A-D0C2-4F91-B29D-51D03BAECD94.jpeg

Since our trip to Capri didn't come together this year, it's nice to say hello to some Neopolitan style at my local. In my size, too! That's US 17 1/2 - IT 44 BTW.
239A5773-664D-4647-99D8-3942025680CC.jpeg

Neiman Marcus is marking these down hard from $500 to $242, but still I'd rather pay $8.99.

Last edited:

VintageZealot

Reaction score

/backontopic
This is some useful information, I passed it on to someone who might find it helpful even if it isn't applicable to me. At 31 and 27 years old respectively I think my cars are a bit beyond their leasing periods. :laugh: My name is VintageZealot after all, my vintage obsession extends far beyond just shoes...

To keep things ontopic here's one of my more unusual pairs. European shoes aren't that common here but I assume they're still allowed as long as they're vintage, I don't know how old this pair is but I think they are vintage. Austerity wingtip spectators in navy blue pebbled leather with grey suede, marked Lavorazione Originale by Salvatore Ferragamo.
20210721_185840 - Copy.jpg
20210721_190112 - Copy.jpg
20210721_190204 - Copy.jpg
20210721_190451 - Copy.jpg
20210721_190532 - Copy.jpg
20210721_190615 - Copy.jpg
They are a bit big for me but they still fit decently if tied tightly, I like the uncommon design/colour combination enough that I tolerate the sizing. They were quite rough when I got them, almost completely flattened and the leather had many scuffs and scrapes or discoloured marks while the suede had multiple stains and was a bit yellowed. Even though they aren't in perfect condition now they're still in a much more presentable state than they were!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the uppers? If the shell is soft and moisturized, then I’d say to enjoy them.

Life is short. Wear nice shoes.
My recollection is that they looked to be in really good shape on arrival. Right now, I’m not sure which shoe cube they went in to even double-check.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is some useful information, I passed it on to someone who might find it helpful even if it isn't applicable to me. At 31 and 27 years old respectively I think my cars are a bit beyond their leasing periods. :laugh: My name is VintageZealot after all, my vintage obsession extends far beyond just shoes...

To keep things ontopic here's one of my more unusual pairs. European shoes aren't that common here but I assume they're still allowed as long as they're vintage, I don't know how old this pair is but I think they are vintage. Austerity wingtip spectators in navy blue pebbled leather with grey suede, marked Lavorazione Originale by Salvatore Ferragamo.
View attachment 1642504
View attachment 1642505
View attachment 1642506
View attachment 1642507
View attachment 1642508
View attachment 1642509
They are a bit big for me but they still fit decently if tied tightly, I like the uncommon design/colour combination enough that I tolerate the sizing. They were quite rough when I got them, almost completely flattened and the leather had many scuffs and scrapes or discoloured marks while the suede had multiple stains and was a bit yellowed. Even though they aren't in perfect condition now they're still in a much more presentable state than they were!
Welcome to the forum and the thread. We welcome shoes from any location.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The perfect lesson in "what not to do". These are custom made Florsheim shell in size 8.5 5e for Herbert Butler. The seller had 5 pairs in NOS condition. Herb has a lot of his custom pairs floating around out there. This pair came with cat paw heels. Perfect.

Seller had them listed at $600. I offered $200 to see what would happen. Seller accepted and I offered 100 for second pair. Seller countered at 150. I declined telling myself: How many pairs of NOS shell do I need? Plus, there are many more pairs out there for a better price. Yeah.

I am cognizant I risk reputation and membership in this coveted group with this admission. However, I live and learn.

In any event, I had Corey Hiltz add gun metal grommets, toe taps, and sole protectors to give them longer service years.

20210722_125914.jpg
20210722_125926.jpg
20210722_131704.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

/backontopic
Extra bonus if you plunge the profit into vintage shoes. I'm just saying...

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I make $5 grand on the car, I could buy something like 400 more pairs of shoes assuming I pay an average $12.50 each at thrift, maybe only 300 if I splash out on some Alden Indy boots like I almost did a few days ago. These were early 70's vintage with the 4A's logo and could have been worn by Harrison Ford himself if he was bigger. But I could buy a new pair for $579 so I ended up just watching this auction.
541D51D1-9903-43F7-923E-2FAEB73D660B.jpeg

@friendlygoz is that argentinian shoe machine repairman / tango dancing instructor still set up in your garage? If he's gone maybe I can set up some racks to hold the new collection. I'm full up over here.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I make $5 grand on the car, I could buy something like 400 more pairs of shoes assuming I pay an average $12.50 each at thrift, maybe only 300 if I splash out on some Alden Indy boots like I almost did a few days ago. These were early 70's vintage with the 4A's logo and could have been worn by Harrison Ford himself if he was bigger. But I could buy a new pair for $579 so I ended up just watching this auction.
View attachment 1642821
@friendlygoz is that argentinian shoe machine repairman / tango dancing instructor still set up in your garage? If he's gone maybe I can set up some racks to hold the new collection. I'm full up over here.
We got room in the garage. My wife would love it if we hosted your shoes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.