• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday. I call these my "weathered shell" 93605s that were a gift from @suitforcourt

I didn't go as far as acetone (since I don't have any) but I did use Renomat on them generously. Sanded the sole edges and bleached the welt stitching. The finish on the shell probably took a lot of abuse before @suitforcourt rescued them, and they have a mottled look now, but I really like this pair and wear them instead of the pair of 93605s that I had bought previously and rebuilt with JR soles.

20210618.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday. I call these my "weathered shell" 93605s that were a gift from @suitforcourt

I didn't go as far as acetone (since I don't have any) but I did use Renomat on them generously. Sanded the sole edges and bleached the welt stitching. The finish on the shell probably took a lot of abuse before @suitforcourt rescued them, and they have a mottled look now, but I really like this pair and wear them instead of the pair of 93605s that I had bought previously and rebuilt with JR soles.

View attachment 1626393

I am so glad those found a new home. I spent a lot of time using Renomat to clean off the old black polish and waxes. I then conditioned them like crazy to ensure they would survive the trip across the Pacific.

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the day after the thread was discussing AE Lloyd's I thrifted a pair. Can someone date these? And can you discuss the C&J for Polo Marlowe Shell Full Strap Loafers, specifically the 8.5 D version of them? Hopefully it will conjure up a pair at the thrift tomorrow. ;)
20210618_083328.jpg
20210618_083619.jpg
20210618_083644.jpg
20210618_083358.jpg
20210618_083432.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1626393
I love the sole edge and welt treatment on those. Also, great sock/pants choice; not conventional, but really works with the shoe beautifully.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the day after the thread was discussing AE Lloyd's I thrifted a pair. Can someone date these? And can you discuss the C&J for Polo Marlowe Shell Full Strap Loafers, specifically the 8.5 D version of them? Hopefully it will conjure up a pair at the thrift tomorrow. ;)
View attachment 1626442 View attachment 1626443 View attachment 1626444 View attachment 1626445 View attachment 1626446
1984. Same as my pair of 0667 Loyd’s. Those have only a bit more wear than mine: a little cleanup, hydration and a touch of polish and they’ll probably come out looking very much like mine:

7poai2r.jpg

What’s crazy is I’d surmised (by, ya know, putting them side-by-side) that the 7 eyelet Lloyd used an identical upper pattern to the MacGregor. But now we got these 0660 phantom MacGregor’s, in the same color/pin-grain combo, floating around, made the same year as these Lloyd’s, on the 0 last, half a decade after the shoe was officially discontinued. Now I will forever be in search of an 0660 MacGregor.

That said, I think the 0667 Lloyd is super-neat looking shoe.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the sole edge and welt treatment on those. Also, great sock/pants choice; not conventional, but really works with the shoe beautifully.

Thanks. The pants are white selvedge jeans by Uniqlo. Casual Friday.
My sock literacy is super low. I basically just buy single color socks usually in blue or red hues, and I like how red or burgundy socks go with shell shoes.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1626393
I love what you did with those. You know, some flat laces in the same color you have on there now would look really nice. I'm probably doing to start using flat laces for everything: Christmas tree decoration, scrunchy for my wife's hair, a winter scarf...

Your pair here is the inspiration for a project I’m working on with a pair of 93605s. It involves sun, acetone, sand paper, dye, laces, and 87 boxes of jello (just joking about the jello).

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in the Footjoy Classic line vs the non classic line? Thanks.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love what you did with those. You know, some flat laces in the same color you have on there now would look really nice. I'm probably doing to start using flat laces for everything: Christmas tree decoration, scrunchy for my wife's hair, a winter scarf...

Your pair here is the inspiration for a project I’m working on with a pair of 93605s. It involves sun, acetone, sand paper, dye, laces, and 87 boxes of jello (just joking about the jello).

I tend to avoid flat laces because every time I put on the shoes, I end up spending too much time straightening them out so there are no twists. But I really liked the BB laces you pointed to the other day and put a pack in my Amazon cart. Maybe for a day I'm feeling masochistic ;)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro, where the hell do you shop that you get all these amazing, old shoes?

Like seriously, you need to write up a document explaining how you are able to get these friggin' fabulous vintage shoes.

I am lucky if I can get Hanovers and Florsheims sometimes.

He spends all his time scouring for vintage shoes. If only I had his luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads