• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. I know I'm dragging this out... but this is a good mystery so I hope you'll all bear with me.

One more bit of info I just noticed is that this 2nd pair of white LWBs has the U-shaped sponge under the sock liner that you can see in this photo I posted earlier.

20210603-white-lwb-05-jpg.1619495

According to the Japanese blogger I linked to previously, this is another pre-1966 indicator.

Kuromame Blog - Vintage Shoes & Watches, etc...

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. I know I'm dragging this out... but this is a good mystery so I hope you'll all bear with me.

One more bit of info I just noticed is that this 2nd pair of white LWBs has the U-shaped sponge under the sock liner that you can see in this photo I posted earlier.

According to the Japanese blogger I linked to previously, this is another pre-1966 indicator.

Just going on the color/type of the size/model markings, I'd vote for 1964.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They definitely are not he Spanish Custom Grade line. Those pairs look European.

I think they were made in the 1960s based on the construction.

They look like Imperials but most likely not produced in a Florsheim factory.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel like the suede chester guy. Someone should buy this pair. They are in excellent/almost new shape. Not my shoes... 9D.

Leiker

Reaction score
American Gentleman Longwing gunboat, double sole, split storm welt. Ebay purchase NOS for 48 dollars. Leather is not Florsheim quality but I like the design and overall quality.
AG 1.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel like the suede chester guy. Someone should buy this pair. They are in excellent/almost new shape. Not my shoes... 9D.

...and... done. Seller offer $70. I grabbed them. I saw them on my alert email. I don’t have suede, I’ve been wanting some Chesters, these look like they have one wear, they are from 1995 (good year for me), and they are @stook1 and @Quantum17 approved. That all adds up to a good buy.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
...and... done. Seller offer $70. I grabbed them. I saw them on my alert email. I don’t have suede, I’ve been wanting some Chesters, these look like they have one wear, they are from 1995 (good year for me), and they are @stook1 and @Quantum17 approved. That all adds up to a good buy.

Super! I saw this after I replied to your PM, haha. Good snag on that pair especially at that price.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Excellent pick up. The shoes are great and the price was a super deal.

happypebble

Reaction score
American Gentleman Longwing gunboat, double sole, split storm welt. Ebay purchase NOS for 48 dollars. Leather is not Florsheim quality but I like the design and overall quality. View attachment 1622696
Congrats. The burgundy American Gentleman pair I bought has turned out to be a very solid pair, a good buy. Yours look good, long may they wear

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent pick up. The shoes are great and the price was a super deal.
AND @smfdoc approved?! I might just end my day now at 8:13AM PST and say it was a good day.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Gentleman Longwing gunboat, double sole, split storm welt. Ebay purchase NOS for 48 dollars. Leather is not Florsheim quality but I like the design and overall quality. View attachment 1622696
They’re not bad at all.

They were a main brand of Craddock-Terry, once the 5th largest shoe company in the world. They eventually succumbed to margin pressure in the late 80’s. Like most of the big firms, they were too big to function as a luxury brand (a’la AE and Alden) and simply couldn’t compete on cost.

Here’s an interesting archived article from the Washington Post, about an attempted restart of the company after its bankruptcy:

I love this quote:

“Peters, who worked for Craddock-Terry for 46 years before retiring in 1986, said the old company went out of business because it ran out of money, not because of declining sales.”

LOL, yeah my man, CODB 101: you gotta have more money coming in, than going out as you can’t lose money on every unit and make it up in volume.

Anyway, here’s a cool cover shot of a shareholder report from better times.

9gCL8vn.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics