• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quantum17

Reaction score
I know some of us on this thread occasionally wonder whether we might be spending too much time, attention, and mental energy on shoes. The below is a cross post from “Do people notice your shoes?” which would indicate that maybe we aren’t.
xxxxx
Probably should have posted this earlier in the thread, but better late than never. Unlike many of the topics we opine on here at SF, there is hard data on whether other people notice our shoes:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/men-shoes_n_3689418
“Men's footwear brand Allen Edmonds recently did a survey of 1,000 American men and women, and they found that: 64 percent of women judge a man's fashion sense based on his shoes; 52 percent of women say they judge a man's personality by his shoes; 36 percent say they use shoes to determine a man's financial position; and 54 percent say men's shoes reflect a guy's attention to detail (or lack thereof).

Simply put: Guys, we're judging you”.

https://healthland.time.com/2012/06/14/what-your-shoes-say-about-you/
In a study of college students, published in the Journal of Research in Personality, the authors found that people could correctly guess a stranger’s age, gender and income by looking at their shoes.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...step-research-shows-you-are-judged-your-shoes
Participants viewing well-kept, attractive shoes assumed the owners were more conscientious.

https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2013/08/08/show-me-your-shoes-say-recruiters/
Survey results say 80 percent of hiring managers reported that shoes are “extremely important,” to one’s interview appearance,

My inference from the above is that, if one wants to get hired, get laid, and/or pass on one’s bloodline, good shoes are a good investment. And by extension very good shoes are probably a very good investment.
I love picking out trends from data. These analysis are true; however, like anything else in fashion, the pandemic definitely has changed our taste. I am especially curious if the zoom culture would focus more on fashion from the belt up, just because we are now trained to fixate in that window. Could make for a fun undergrad project ?

Trust me, I’m a statistician. 50% of the time, I’m right all the time ?

Quantum17

Reaction score
Here's a new addition to my collection. These are Florsheim shell cordovan shortwings c. 1950. Model S1317. Every once in a while I see a pair of shell Florsheim shortwings, but this is the only pair I've ever seen with all the extra brogueing.
View attachment 1599760 View attachment 1599761 View attachment 1599762 View attachment 1599763
This pair reminds me of a pair @sam67 had not so long ago. I’m still amazed vintage shell could hold up for this long. Great find ?

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some of us on this thread occasionally wonder whether we might be spending too much time, attention, and mental energy on shoes. The below is a cross post from “Do people notice your shoes?” which would indicate that maybe we aren’t.
xxxxx
Probably should have posted this earlier in the thread, but better late than never. Unlike many of the topics we opine on here at SF, there is hard data on whether other people notice our shoes:

My inference from the above is that, if one wants to get hired, get laid, and/or pass on one’s bloodline, good shoes are a good investment. And by extension very good shoes are probably a very good investment.
Also, still cheaper than collecting air-cooled Porsches.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love picking out trends from data. These analysis are true; however, like anything else in fashion, the pandemic definitely has changed our taste. I am especially curious if the zoom culture would focus more on fashion from the belt up, just because we are now trained to fixate in that window. Could make for a fun undergrad project ?

Trust me, I’m a statistician. 50% of the time, I’m right all the time ?
One things appears for certain: baggy pants are making a comeback. Ughhh

happypebble

Reaction score
Question: have any of you run into this. I bought a brand of conditioner I hadn't used before. It looked totally normal, but left the shoes tacky and sticky. Had to wash it off with saddle soap. Guess I should have stuck with my VSC and Bick4.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just waiting for my burger at Shake Shack in my 93602s.

20210426.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting off the week in my GH that were custom made and marked as 9eee. But fit like my Brannock size of 8.5eee. A cobbler rebuilt with JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

20210426_080913.jpg
20210426_080913.jpg
20210426_080908.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
2nd real wear of my 93605s (they were NOS). I bought this pair last fall and they sat for a while, in part, because they had a really strong tobacco smell. They ended up being a tremendous bargain since the seller agreed to credit part of the purchase price due to this issue. While I probably would have preferred not to have dealt with that it worked out well in the end and I have no regrets.

To address the smell, I wiped them down then let them sit for a long while (at least 2 months) alternating between ground coffee and baking soda inside a coffee filter in each shoe. They have no smell at all anymore.

IMG_1569 (002).jpg

Leiker

Reaction score
2nd real wear of my 93605s (they were NOS). I bought this pair last fall and they sat for a while, in part, because they had a really strong tobacco smell. They ended up being a tremendous bargain since the seller agreed to credit part of the purchase price due to this issue. While I probably would have preferred not to have dealt with that it worked out well in the end and I have no regrets.

To address the smell, I wiped them down then let them sit for a long while (at least 2 months) alternating between ground coffee and baking soda inside a coffee filter in each shoe. They have no smell at all anymore.

View attachment 1599974
Really beautiful color

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scored these today from bins. is it @Oshare who has a pair of these? these have no model number, and it definitely has not worn away. custom made perhaps?
View attachment 1599386 View attachment 1599387 View attachment 1599388 View attachment 1599389

any info would be greatly appreciated.
also grabbed these unworn AE Worthington chukkas. Have no idea how to date them. don't know if they are vintage or not, there is a pair on ebay but they have leather soles, not rubber. again, any help/info will guarantee you a spot in my top 3 favorite people of the day, and a 1 in 3 chance of winning $10,000!!!! (last sentence is not true)
View attachment 1599390 View attachment 1599391 View attachment 1599392 View attachment 1599393
Wow! So other pairs exist! Cool unicorn find!

Mine actually have a model number: 9400
... but that doesn't really match up with any known series, so they are probably custom made shoes.

The only real difference I can see between your pair and mine is the color of the welt stitching, and my pair lacks the 5 nails.

Here are some shots of my pair for comparison:

View attachment 1599427

View attachment 1599428

View attachment 1599429

View attachment 1599430

SO JEALOUS of those white LWB. They are so cool and so rare, I would have to find a good opportunity to wear those. Sadly, most people would never know they are probably the most “unicorn” of vintage Florsheim.

Also, what’s the story about Trader Joe’s bags? We have one not TOO far from my neighborhood. I have been there. I did not find it to be the religious experience some people talk about. It seemed to be a more trendy (less granola) version of Whole Foods with friendlier staff.

Are these shopping bags?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless two or more members here get together, any one of us are likely the best dressed (footwear wise at least) at any place.

Even in court, a lot of lawyers and judges wear Aldo, cheaply fused shoes, or have that one pair of Prada that they wear everyday. And if they have the one nice pair, they never shine or care for them.

There are a handful of lawyers who are also into shoes. But it's like 5 out of 600.

I agree. Lots of crappy department store shoes. I was talking with one opposing attorney while we were waiting for a witness. I didn’t want to talk about anything related to the case so I saw he had some shiny Penny loafers on and asked them about them. They were Cole Haan — the crappy new plasticy version. He said he buys a burgundy and black pair every 18 months or so when they are on sale. According to him, he knows they are basically disposable. Since, they are practically plastic, he can just wipe them down with a damp cloth.

I have found a few lawyers that are into shoes. But, they fall into one of two categories.

1. The flashy criminal defense lawyer that cares A LOT about his appearance and wears $5000 suits and expensive Italian shoes. He doesn’t buy shoes becuae they are quality. He buys them becuae they are flashy and expensive. (No offense to the good Criminal Defense attorneys).

2. Cowboy Boots. I practiced in Kansas (with lots of Cattle Ranchers and lots of Oil and Gas attorneys), a few attorneys I knew were really into cowboy boots. Currently, I have several cases in Texas. It’s impossible to go into a Texas Courtroom and not see some very nice boots. If we thought our shoes can get pricey, it’s nothing compared to boots!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads