• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been plodding away at my recently acquired Golden Harvest Imperials. They've been cleaned well and conditioned with Bick 4 so now it's time for a color polish. Any recommendations on brands and colors?
@smfdoc recently did a great job. He will have some suggestions.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been plodding away at my recently acquired Golden Harvest Imperials. They've been cleaned well and conditioned with Bick 4 so now it's time for a color polish. Any recommendations on brands and colors?
@smfdoc recently did a great job. He will have some suggestions.
Unfortunately, I do not have a polish suggestion other than a neutral. My recent experience was limited to dye as opposed to polish. I did see a Collonil cream in gold, link, but I have no idea if it would work well with what you have. I shall look forward to hearing other recommendations. You should also post a picture of the shoes in question as they are now as that may help.

Update: I did a search for yellow shoe polish and found a brand that has "banana" color that might work too. Link No promises as I have never used this brand, but I just may consider it for mine. BTW, this brand is a division of Fiebing's who made the dye I used for my pair.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim imperial watchband today. Made from kindly donated shoes from @eTrojan. He not only donated them, he delivered them to my old office. Oh, I just had a thought. If I find another pair in a thrift store, I could strip them, dye them to golden harvest, then make them into a watch band to wear with my shoes. That should keep me out of trouble for a week or so.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a jar of yellow cream polish made by Boot Black, and used light coats of it a couple of times... but I found that yellow was, well, too yellow for my Golden Harvests. These days I just use neutral on them.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim imperial watchband today. Made from kindly donated shoes from @eTrojan. He not only donated them, he delivered them to my old office. Oh, I just had a thought. If I find another pair in a thrift store, I could strip them, dye them to golden harvest, then make them into a watch band to wear with my shoes. That should keep me out of trouble for a week or so.

View attachment 1597720
View attachment 1597721
I love it. We must have been on the same wavelength today because I’m wearing my inherited Missoni Sport (Swiss quartz) watch on the shell strap you made me from the cracked AE shell chukkas I sent you.
D5022B5F-4830-4350-8648-1B29C2DB239B.jpeg
F464C225-4A50-4DAA-A713-979E0F3D0877.jpeg
5ABE4B66-D997-4445-8851-E64AB6C89EFC.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a polish suggestion other than a neutral. My recent experience was limited to dye as opposed to polish. I did see a Collonil cream in gold, link, but I have no idea if it would work well with what you have. I shall look forward to hearing other recommendations. You should also post a picture of the shoes in question as they are now as that may help.

Update: I did a search for yellow shoe polish and found a brand that has "banana" color that might work too. Link No promises as I have never used this brand, but I just may consider it for mine. BTW, this brand is a division of Fiebing's who made the dye I used for my pair.
Pictures, you say? Glad to oblige.

20210422_155649.jpg

20210422_155701.jpg

Date code KH, so probably 1977 vintage.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for cream polish, light brown or Saphir "cinnamon" would be fine. I find that vintage Florsheim Kenmoors don't absorb cream polish well. If you are looking at wax polish, neutral or brown should be fine. EDIT: I think I win the "late to the party" award for the day. I see you got this figured out. They look great.

Quantum17

Reaction score
I was quite excited to pick up a pair of NOS (with box) Hanover saddle shell which arrived earlier today. I love the color, and it would make my first saddle shell. I was so disappointed to find a tear on the left shoe. It’s just incredibly heartbreaking. I still can’t believe it 😔 Here are some photos before I mail them back. Oh it hurts. So close!
2A81D49E-34EB-4ECA-B7D2-A3565BC27A9D.jpeg
A261F8E7-2269-40EF-9CB2-2F1E684D99B9.jpeg
EEC4875E-262C-4666-A068-6DDD8FD20F2C.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quite excited to pick up a pair of NOS (with box) Hanover saddle shell which arrived earlier today. I love the color, and it would make my first saddle shell. I was so disappointed to find a tear on the left shoe. It’s just incredibly heartbreaking. I still can’t believe it 😔 Here are some photos before I mail them back. Oh it hurts. So close!
View attachment 1598168View attachment 1598169View attachment 1598170
Dang. That's heartbreaking. If you can return them, do it. My guess is that they are other cracks waiting to emerge. I've been there before, brother. It hurts.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been a black Shell week for me. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s just because I don’t wear it that often. I might as well finish out the workweek with another pair.

Vintage Florsheim Black Shell Cordovan PTB.

B5DB3D79-B958-48D8-9185-5FD53465A4CE.jpeg
DF86E073-702B-4142-AD26-40FEA2EE68A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%