• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a low ball offer for the Yorktown Oxfords made by the Gardiner Shoe Co, of Gardiner, Maine, that were posted on eBay two weeks ago. I need to do a bit more research, but I presume they date to the 50's. Gardiner was a mid-price point maker, but the Yorktowns were near the top of their offerings. The contrasting double welt stitching really makes this pair stand-out. The width was not noted in the eBay listing, so I was pretty pleased that they turned out to be 10.5E, which is my preferred size for Oxfords. They arrived as dry as a popcorn fart, but they really came to life after a few rounds of Bicks. My plan is to throw them into the regular rotation. It will be interesting to see if I can muster up the courage to debauch those virgin soles.

64054507962__F8ADAE65-5D2E-4590-8F82-BF71114235C5.jpg
IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6630.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I made a low ball offer for the Yorktown Oxfords made by the Gardiner Shoe Co, of Gardiner, Maine, that were posted on eBay two weeks ago. I need to do a bit more research, but I presume they date to the 50's. Gardiner was a mid-price point maker, but the Yorktowns were near the top of their offerings. The contrasting double welt stitching really makes this pair stand-out. The width was not noted in the eBay listing, so I was pretty pleased that they turned out to be 10.5E, which is my preferred size for Oxfords. They arrived as dry as a popcorn fart, but they really came to life after a few rounds of Bicks. My plan is to throw them into the regular rotation. It will be interesting to see if I can muster up the courage to debauch those virgin soles.

View attachment 1596263 View attachment 1596268 View attachment 1596270 View attachment 1596271

I'm so glad you got those! I was talking to @Nobleprofessor about that pair. I'd made an even lower lowball, I suspect... and it seems that you purchased them while I was mulling over the seller's counter. I wasn't sure I'd wear them much so if you are going to wear them regularly - all the better.

Congrats, they are a very unique pair with the double stitching and they look spectacular now that you have cleaned them up.

Quantum17

Reaction score

View attachment 1596263 View attachment 1596268 View attachment 1596270 View attachment 1596271
They are too awesome to wear... NOOOooo

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm so glad you got those! I was talking to @Nobleprofessor about that pair. I'd made an even lower lowball, I suspect... and it seems that you purchased them while I was mulling over the seller's counter. I wasn't sure I'd wear them much so if you are going to wear them regularly - all the better.

Congrats, they are a very unique pair with the double stitching and they look spectacular now that you have cleaned them up.
They are too awesome to wear... NOOOooo

Those shoes were very intriguing. The double stitch is very cool. It makes me wonder whether I should get that done on the next pair I have repaired/restored.

I’m very glad to hear they are 10.5E. They would be way too wide for me. So, I feel better about not trying to get them. AND, I’m happy for @Jiqea that they will work for you and that they are in the hands of someone who will love and appreciate them. I was also worried about how dry they might be. Good move on the Bick 4.

As far as the anxiety-inducing decision to wear them, I cannot offer any advice that would not be totally hypocritical. I have several old pairs that I cannot make myself wear. Those virgin soles are, obviously, new only until they get worn.

My wife teases me and tells me that if I never wear my NOS pairs, then whoever buys them at my estate sale (when I die), will have the fun of wearing them. She has a dark sense of humor.

She also doesn’t understand exactly because when I bought her a pair of new Gucci shoes (she has begged for them for years), she wore the very next day!

So, in that spirit I wore my just restored pair of Bison LWB. (I only wore them in my carpeted home office).

A23CE302-A896-4BD2-A622-D77A5F0CA558.jpeg
7AD73BCC-86CF-443A-B08A-F8D495316FB3.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my Florsheim Stratfords recrafted by Tobias Crislip of Wyatt & Dad Cobbler Company. Tobias did an amazing job of sewing down some parts on the vamp, fixing the heel counter and, of course, the resole. He is meticulous in his craft. I did the eyelets myself. They were pretty worn out. I’ve been worried that they were too narrow, even after stretching. But I’ve been wearing them around the house today. I sprayed some shoe stretcher spray on them before wearing them with a thin pair of socks. They actually feel quite good.
ED6FD3AA-DED5-4119-BA95-B295AA24C689.jpeg
53657A6E-DCA2-472D-95D8-F05598477259.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are incredible @friendlygoz I really need a pair of Stratfords! That color is great!

I just asked Tony at Wyatt and Dad and they do double rows of welt stitching if you want to match that awesome pair @Jiqea just got.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are incredible @friendlygoz I really need a pair of Stratfords! That color is great!

I just asked Tony at Wyatt and Dad and they do double rows of welt stitching if you want to match that awesome pair @Jiqea just got.

I’m in deep enough as it is. A single row will do fine. I think they will look great. On a side note, Tony was very complimentary on the dye job to get the Golden Harvest color. I took that as an official endorsement that they are wearable In public.

Quantum17

Reaction score

I absolutely admire Tony and Tobias’ work. Though, I’m also lucky having Jim McFarland near by. He does wonderful work, and it’s always a pleasant talking to him.

I don’t resole often as I try to keep original welts and heels. Of course, regular resole doesn’t require new welt, but I’m sure double stitching will require so. If that’s the case, the upper leather will be affected regardless how skillful the cobbler is. In my opinion, I’d not encourage rewelt, or update to double stitching for that reason.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thus far, I have only had two pairs of NOS that I was a bit squeamish about wearing. My 93605s were NOS and, incidentally, my first wear was very melodramatic - literally out onto my driveway for a quick picture. I was in the midst of recovering from arm surgery and wasn't really leaving the house. It actually wasn't until afterwards that I had a momentary "what have I done!" freak out but it was all good and I am totally over it and enjoying them.

My other pair I just got recently. They are a single MTO pair of C&J that another member had put away and I am not aware of another pair that exists --- but I bet there must be at least another running around. I haven't worn those yet but I will probably this week.

I'm with @smfdoc on this one. Life's too short to let nos or unworn shoes sit. But to each their own. I'm thankful to all of you gentlemen that keep 'em fresh for the rest of us! ;)

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are incredible. I say wear, enjoy, and share their beauty with the world (if people don't notice your shoes, make them notice by striking up a conversation that starts with, "Hey, you see these shoes right here?"). Life is too short.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Those are incredible. I say wear, enjoy, and share their beauty with the world (if people don't notice your shoes, make them notice by striking up a conversation that starts with, "Hey, you see these shoes right here?"). Life is too short.
I happen to be a respected member of this ministry. Also, I’ve been known to do random high kicks through zoom... I’m very well-known among my colleagues despite distance learning from Covid...
52C5B531-6809-48B9-8C47-B2220A5B1798.gif

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a couple thrifting today for the flip pile. A Foot so Port and a Freeman’s Bootmaker Guild- which needs some attention. Both small sizes.
468A4F3D-C77B-4EFC-AB36-2948A3BB96D3.jpeg
53F8F10D-E5AD-4C74-B759-4772ADCE7089.jpeg
B605DEF3-F180-4EE7-B71F-E3B50C1BE201.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics