• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've used saddle soap, Renomat, naptha, and VSC on this pair. The polish cloth keeps turning burgundy. And once I think I'm done, I can still scrape wax off with my fingernail.

It might be time for acetone.

...Damn, son. That's a lot of wax build up.

nikolau

Reaction score
CB0FBF6D-06D3-471D-BFAB-D2512838308A.jpeg

Hi folks- have you ever seen cracking insoles on vintage shoes? How, if at all, do you deal with it?

Also, can this be avoided in the future on other pairs?

vestbash

Reaction score
View attachment 1544598
Hi folks- have you ever seen cracking insoles on vintage shoes? How, if at all, do you deal with it?

Yes, I have seen it. You can use an insole insert and cover it, however the only real way to fix it in my estimation is to replace the footbed which requires rewelting the shoe as the insole is stitched via gemming to the welt.

I am not sure on the best procedure to prevent it, but good storage conditions I think are ideal over the time and effort of using a product to condition the insole.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cobblers can usually replace the insole/lining for you.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen it. You can use an insole insert and cover it, however the only real way to fix it in my estimation is to replace the footbed which requires rewelting the shoe as the insole is stitched via gemming to the welt.

I am not sure on the best procedure to prevent it, but good storage conditions I think are ideal over the time and effort of using a product to condition the insole.

I was just talking with someone about this yesterday who was discussing his removing the insole from AE shoes. I had the same view, which was that this was a bad idea since the insole is structural. Am I right in thinking that the insole is glued to the gemming?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1544598

Yes, I've seen it. I've stabilized a few pairs with copious amounts of neatsfoot oil (like pouring it into the shoe, coating it like a frying pan, and pouring the excess out). But once the damage is done, it's done.

I always condition the linings and insole with Bick 4 while I'm working on the outers. An ounce of prevention. . .

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen it. I've stabilized a few pairs with copious amounts of neatsfoot oil (like pouring it into the shoe, coating it like a frying pan, and pouring the excess out). But once the damage is done, it's done.

I always condition the linings and insole with Bick 4 while I'm working on the outers. An ounce of prevention. . .

I do this every once in a while, too. It's good to keep the insides nicely conditioned.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not argue with you on that. It's the DeLorean of shoes.

DeLoreans are AWESOME!

Some days. Under the right circumstances. As long as someone else paid to restore it.

I wouldn't wholly agree that Corfam is ****. It's certainly not an ideal material, but some of the shoes made with it are higher quality than some of the CG crap we regularly run across here. I like my Corfams. No better shoe on a rainy day.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you who went hog wild in removing the CG PU coating ended up using paint stripper. Was it the JASCO premium paint and epoxy remover? @wasmisterfu @Shoonoob @mreams99 ???

I have a pair of Church's CG saddle oxfords. In the process of trying to remove caked layers of built up wax, some portions of the PU have lifted. Since I can't get the CG to take a stain, I'm assuming I'm now all in on stripping the coating. Given the nuisance that is doing it with acetone, I was trying to recall which paint stripper seemed to work for folks.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you who went hog wild in removing the CG PU coating ended up using paint stripper. Was it the JASCO premium paint and epoxy remover? @wasmisterfu @Shoonoob @mreams99 ???

I have a pair of Church's CG saddle oxfords. In the process of trying to remove caked layers of built up wax, some portions of the PU have lifted. Since I can't get the CG to take a stain, I'm assuming I'm now all in on stripping the coating. Given the nuisance that is doing it with acetone, I was trying to recall which paint stripper seemed to work for folks.
I use acetone.
I tried paint stripper once, and it seemed to be a lot messier and no more effective than acetone. It might have just been the paint stripper that I used, but I’ve never tried it again.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use acetone.
I tried paint stripper once, and it seemed to be a lot messier and no more effective than acetone. It might have just been the paint stripper that I used, but I’ve never tried it again.
My buddy tried xylene on these LBs. It still didn't take it all off. You can see the old color.
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG

vestbash

Reaction score
I was just talking with someone about this yesterday who was discussing his removing the insole from AE shoes. I had the same view, which was that this was a bad idea since the insole is structural. Am I right in thinking that the insole is glued to the gemming?

Yes, the insole (some people call it the "footbed"), is structurally integral to she shoe and is cemented to the gemming, you can't just easily yank it out and replace it.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes, the insole (some people call it the "footbed"), is structurally integral to she shoe and is cemented to the gemming, you can't just easily yank it out and replace it.

Alright, that's what I thought as well. He was discussing this to create more instep room due to his use of orthotics. It's one thing to do this with a sock liner, which isn't structural, but altogether different with the insole, as you noted.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to run an errand so I had a chance to wear real shoes. Why not bring out the big guns. 1965 Florsheim 93605. It is odd how the lighting changes the color so much between these two pictures. The darker color is more accurate. But, the other picture shows the character and variation. Despite being 55 years old, these are in amazing shape.

80D36852-E339-45A8-A104-53D73D6E519B.jpeg
946B78E8-6B8C-4AB3-A984-BF50F81BE9D9.jpeg

Im way behind on the forum. I have been swamped. I’m looking forward to catching up on the last couple dozen pages!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads