• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this is what happens when you get all worked up over getting a shell PTB. Won a pair of Banisters on eBay and I'm sure I overpaid, but what the hell, it's shell.
What can I expect in the quality of vintage Banisters? The shoes look like they need a good bit of work (plenty of rolls, etc.), I'm ok with that. I just got tired of not finding a PTB in my size that wasn't going for $200.
Once I get them and do some Reno work on them, I'll post some pics.

Banister was part of the Stetson shoe company. I have only personally handled one pair, but in general, they seem to be excellent quality.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not me. But they are certainly a higher end shoe. Shell, double row stitching used on both sides of the brogue, wheeling on the welt, high stitch per inch. They were designed and made for Florsheim, which is not typical. Clearly made by someone other than Florsheim. Yes, the price is high but not out of line in comparison to new shell. I would certainly offer less given the dark line around the throat and the top of the heel looks a little ratty like they did not use a shoe horn the very few times they were worn.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the style number, but looks like a pretty sweet pair of 1950's shell shortwings, probably made just before Florsheim finalized the style number system that we are familiar with. What puzzles you about them?

Mostly, who made them. The style number doesn't correlate to anything I can find.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some NOS Florsheims, made in USA in late 1990s up for auction with 2 hours remaining. Size 11 D. Includes box and shoe bags. Currently $74. Not my shoe.

See them here.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 4.01.03 PM.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Hanover LB Sheperds tonight! Black LWB. Can't wait!!!

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So glad they were not my size. It kills me when I miss shoes like that in my size.
I hear you. I probably would not have the willpower to resist had they been my size.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much chaff to wade through when searching for Florsheim's. I'm impressed you guys find anything worthwhile!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads