• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it to be fine. I used it for a similar situation with a pair of inexpensive shell AEs that someone had botched with years of excess polish. Night and day difference. As with renomat generally --- go easy and condition afterwards, which you prob already knew perfectly well if you have a big jug of it.
So once I got all the old polish off, I see they were also using it to cover some fading. I didn't know shell did that until I looked it up.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So once I got all the old polish off, I see they were also using it to cover some fading. I didn't know shell did that until I looked it up.
Sun fading is real! And wanted in some cases.
Not vintage, but here's how much sun fading can change color. Note extreme differences in light...the olive (caused by brown coming through the green) is definitely lighter than the bottle green.
Before
20190718_181248.jpg

After
20191025_164524.jpg

Not mine, but definitely a life goal, these started out as Dark #8 all over. (I forget who owns these)
jdkfmcjmf3jz.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GoldenHarvestMedal

Reaction score
Just got this pair. Looking for more info on those.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_201835.jpg
    IMG_20200702_201835.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 26

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not vintage, but here's how much sun fading can change color. Note extreme differences in light...the olive (caused by brown coming through the green) is definitely lighter than the bottle green.
Before
View attachment 1417081
After
View attachment 1417082
Not mine, but definitely a life goal, these started out as Dark #8 all over. (I forget who owns these)
View attachment 1417083
Crazy. I had no idea it would be as drastic.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Before
View attachment 1417081
After
View attachment 1417082
View attachment 1417083

Interesting fade on that #8 pair... Your green ones are, of course, super (as we determined earlier in the day, lol). I think I am going to fade one of my #8 pairs just can't seem to make up my mind which ones.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You never cease to amaze me with your AE knowledge. Thanks for this. I can’t do the 65 in my normal size. I guess I can’t do the boulevard last either then.
Well, yeah, probably not because the Boulevard last is the 65 (one and the same). When you say you can’t do the 65 in your normal size, what size does it work in? It is a very old-school last: long, somewhat narrow with low volume - not a high instep friendly last.

BTW, the way the names worked was the last would generally be named for the shoe it was introduced on. For example, the 97 (aka 7) last is the MacNeil last, introduced in 1963. The 65 (aka 5) was the Boulevard last named for that model, which ran from the early days of AE, earlier than the oldest catalog in the archive, all the way to the mid-80’s. I bet the 65 is probably the longest running, continuously used last in the shoe business (not to mention, I’m pretty sure a number of other shoemakers outright copied the 65, since lasts, like other elements of apparel, can’t be copyrighted and are generally not patentable).

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, probably not because the Boulevard last is the 65 (one and the same). When you say you can’t do the 65 in your normal size, what size does it work in? It is a very old-school last: long, somewhat narrow with low volume - not a high instep friendly last.

BTW, the way the names worked was the last would generally be named for the shoe it was introduced on. For example, the 97 (aka 7) last is the MacNeil last, introduced in 1963. The 65 (aka 5) was the Boulevard last named for that model, which ran from the early days of AE, earlier than the oldest catalog in the archive, all the way to the mid-80’s. I bet the 65 is probably the longest running, continuously used last in the shoe business (not to mention, I’m pretty sure a number of other shoemakers outright copied the 65, since lasts, like other elements of apparel, can’t be copyrighted and are generally not patentable).
I get massive gaping on the 65 in my normal 9D size. I've fried 8.5E. It's a little better. I should probably try 8.5EE. I have some vintage Strands and Boulevards, both from the 80s. Neither fit me great, but I live with it because I really like the shoes. Still, I'm generally staying away from 65 until I can figure out the right size for me on that last.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I get massive gaping on the 65 in my normal 9D size. I've fried 8.5E. It's a little better. I should probably try 8.5EE. I have some vintage Strands and Boulevards, both from the 80s. Neither fit me great, but I live with it because I really like the shoes. Still, I'm generally staying away from 65 until I can figure out the right size for me on that last.

Consider trying an 8 EEE as well. I realize that sounds nutty. I've narrowed down my 65 last sizing to a few different options and I am still not sure which seems to fit the best for me. It's a funky last for my foot shape but I seem to be able to roll with a 9EEE, 9.5EE, 9.5EEE, 10D, and 10E depending upon the model and sock. For the strand I can't wear a 10 since I will crease the cap, which bugs me. I've never actually owned a 9EEE but it felt pretty similar to the 9.5EE. In fact, I think the instep worked a little better on the 9EEE but the heel was a hair wider. Be forewarned that EE is an oddball width for AE these days. They're around but I am almost 100% sure that stores no longer stock EE, whereas 5-10 years ago they did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads