• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
Yeah. I think we’ve all been there.
Hey, I have the lace up version of this! Florsheim Decaturs, from +/-2011. They are kind of turd-esque, but actually make OK work shoes. My pair was $5 plus shipping, so I can trash them at work and it doesn't matter.

happypebble

Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand when the Charles Chester shoe company went under? I'm trying to date my pair.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have the lace up version of this! Florsheim Decaturs, from +/-2011. They are kind of turd-esque, but actually make OK work shoes. My pair was $5 plus shipping, so I can trash them at work and it doesn't matter.
In my case, I didn’t purchase those for myself, which meant I kinda had to wear them, if ya know what I mean. For quite a while, they were my “around the house” shoes. I found them to be pretty awful, as they lacked the defined heel lift that I need for a shoe to be comfortable. I couldn’t wear them for a walk, for example. They got worse as all the PU foam stuff collapsed. Finally the interiors just self destructed, and I could throw them out without fear of “but I bought those for you”.

Through it all, I kept taking care of the uppers, trying to make them look as decent as a pair of hideously ugly, mid-2000’s business-casual comfort loafery-things can look. Literally polishing a turd.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m buying the box, entering in the shoe box restoration challenge, a competition that I just made up, and declaring myself the winner.
A well conceived plan, sir. Might I ask, does the award for first place happen to be a pair of shoes?

happypebble

Reaction score
In my case, I didn’t purchase those for myself, which meant I kinda had to wear them, if ya know what I mean. For quite a while, they were my “around the house” shoes. I found them to be pretty awful, as they lacked the defined heel lift that I need for a shoe to be comfortable. I couldn’t wear them for a walk, for example. They got worse as all the PU foam stuff collapsed. Finally the interiors just self destructed, and I could throw them out without fear of “but I bought those for you”.

Through it all, I kept taking care of the uppers, trying to make them look as decent as a pair of hideously ugly, mid-2000’s business-casual comfort loafery-things can look. Literally polishing a turd.
Hilarious. Well, now I know what I can look forward to with my pair. the previous owner must not have liked them as they were all but unworn when I got them. I'll watch for them to spectacularly fall apart. Comfortech!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilarious. Well, now I know what I can look forward to with my pair. the previous owner must not have liked them as they were all but unworn when I got them. I'll watch for them to spectacularly fall apart. Comfortech!
I (really) hate to ask this... but you mentioned yours were a lace-up version. I’m having trouble visualizing what they could possibly look like: can you post a picture, so that my OCD addled brain can put this question to rest?

Just be sure to spoiler it, that way @smfdoc doesn’t kick me off the thread for instigating posts of awful non-vintage shoes (something I’m probably on probation for already).

davidVC

Reaction score
Made approx 12-15 years ago as a limited run. I was eyeing them at the time, but decided against.
Yeah, that model was called the Trafton. It was Cole Haan's signature model for a year. The styling was over the top. The reviews were not good as I remember. Uncomfortable and like @mormonopoly mentions, creased heavily due to plastic-like upper.

Classic shoes for men has a few listed:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.