• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore my post above, you answered my question. Technically, Savage, as a unit of ISC, bought McHale.

When you run through the list of companies operating as business units of ISC (including the tanneries, rubber producers, etc.), it’s quite extraordinary how far-flung ISC’s empire became.

That is correct. Beginning in early 1959 this arrangement was noted on all McHale boxes.

700.jpg

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. A spade sole. Looks pretty stout. Anyone wear them? I don't know much about Cole Haan history.
1593393484300.png

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s WTF listing on eBay, is an empty box, for 28 bucks shipped.

That’s right, you can buy an empty Allen Edmonds box, all your own, right now, for 19.99 (plus 8 bucks shipping).

Keep in mind, it’s not New In Box (?!) condition, as the box has some scrapes. But it’s a nice, blue, Allen Edmonds box, perfect for storing smaller empty boxes.

WyyWNwA.jpg

Yeah, okay, it comes with an empty dust bag also. Ya know what it doesn’t come with? Shoes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. A spade sole. Looks pretty stout. Anyone wear them? I don't know much about Cole Haan history.
View attachment 1414855
So they look like a special contract, made in Italy shoe, that’s a recreation of something far more vintage in Cole Haan’s past.

That said, I’m willing to bet, based on the apparent feather outline for a blind channel stitch on the sole, extremely tapered waist and spade sole/welt treatment, that these are hand welted. Looks like a very nice pair; if they were my size, I’d probably hit that BIN button.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I thrifted this box for $4, put my Datejust in it wrapped in a cloth with just the bracelet showing and photographed it on the front seat of my car like the fresh thrift it was (at least the box was). Then posted it on the thrift brag thread. The guys went nuts. Then I 'fessed up after about thirty minutes. #Trollex.
IMG_3020.jpeg

It sold for ~$90. I think the box enhances the value of a President in the secondary market enough that the watch sellers will pay up for them. It's a thing.
IMG_3014.jpeg

Last edited:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1414855
I thrifted a pair not long ago. The construction appears to be very nice, and I love the design. The problem is that the leather is an especially horrible corrected grain, at least on the smooth leather models. They also made them in a very nice pebble grain.

vestbash

Reaction score
As long as we’re on the topic, here are some vintage Church’s wingtips in Ranch Oxhide. After extensive Googling, the only reference I could find was one poster who claimed this combination was a late-‘50s to early-‘60s offering and the shoe is called the Cotswold.

View attachment 1414770

The original heels on these had some fancy nail work and a brown McAfee heel instead of a black one.

View attachment 1414771

And the heel pad lists only London and New York.

View attachment 1414779

I have found that the vintage pre prada Church's to be some of the finest made vintage shoes. The finishing of the sole and the mcafee heels are very impressive. I had a pair of Church's made Alan McAfee's that were exceptional.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So they look like a special contract, made in Italy shoe, that’s a recreation of something far more vintage in Cole Haan’s past.

That said, I’m willing to bet, based on the apparent feather outline for a blind channel stitch on the sole, extremely tapered waist and spade sole/welt treatment, that these are hand welted. Looks like a very nice pair; if they were my size, I’d probably hit that BIN button.
Well, I'm trying to get in the shark/saddle club first, so we can hang. Find out tomorrow. ;)

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s right, you can buy an empty Allen Edmonds box, all your own, right now, for 19.99 (plus 8 bucks shipping).

Keep in mind, it’s not New In Box (?!) condition, as the box has some scrapes. But it’s a nice, blue, Allen Edmonds box, perfect for storing smaller empty boxes.

WyyWNwA.jpg

Yeah, okay, it comes with an empty dust bag also. Ya know what it doesn’t come with? Shoes.
Here's my entry. I don't think those creases will buff out.

Screenshot_20200628-201743_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200628-201933_eBay.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I thrifted this box for $4, put my Datejust in it wrapped in a cloth with just the bracelet showing and photographed it on the front seat of my car like the fresh thrift it was (at least the box was). Then posted it on the thrift brag thread. The guys went nuts. Then I 'fessed up after about thirty minutes. #Trollex.
View attachment 1414866
It sold for ~$90. I think the box enhances the value of a President in the secondary market enough that the watch sellers will pay up for them. It's a thing.
View attachment 1414867
Okay, but that’s like a really nice box, as boxes go. It looks like it’s made out of leather, and it has a cool buckle, and it’s nicely lined. There’s lost of nice stuff you might want to store in that box.

But the box I featured is really just an empty cardboard shoebox. You know, the kind of shoebox that the girl you used to date kept her assortment of unmentionable toys in, under her bed (don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rebuilds of a pair of spectators, and strawfut shoes. Seems to be our group's newest fads.

So I watched the video and a couple of things bothered me:

1. I think a cobbler should know that the shoe brand on the sole of AE’s denotes a factory second.

2. He didn’t bother to research what material those Strawfut’s are made out of: they’re linen canvas, not cotton; and I wouldn’t spray linen with water repellant.

3. I have no idea what he was on about, regarding the upper leather being corrected grain. On my pair (same model, though mine aren’t seconds), they’re obviously full grain leather.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WyyWNwA.jpg

I’m buying the box, entering in the shoe box restoration challenge, a competition that I just made up, and declaring myself the winner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads