1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

I looked on those lists as well, but only saw the two short wings with 4 digit style #s. What I do know is that they are 12 B, shell cordovan PTBs from the Crown Windsor line. Everything else at this point is gravy!

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

A co-worker was remarking about the weight of my vintage Florshiems the other day. This seems to be a preoccupation for those whose idea of proper footwear are cross trainers. David at VCleat.com elected to do some research on the weight of Long Wing Bluchers and a few other shoes to determine which of these were the heaviest and he compared the following shoes:

[​IMG]

These were the blucher shoes that were weighed (left to right: Nettleton; Florsheim Imperial; FootJoy; Florsheim Royal Imperial; Alden). Picture used by permission.

Other shoes were in the mix and he found the Footjoy to be the heaviest shoe of the group. Perhaps my co-worker was correct as the Florsheim Imperial came in a close second. Check out the entire post by clicking here.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. MattRiv

Received my vintage Bostonian shell PTBs today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're very tight compared to other 12 Bs I have, maybe too tight for me to keep. They are nowhere near even broken in at this point. I would estimate under 10 wears. I love the lighter color compared to my vintage Florsheims. I guess they are still #8 though. Beautiful shoes.

[​IMG]

The construction is very high quality. They are from the Crown Windsor line and are stamped 2168. I'd guess they were in the late 80s or early 90s.

[​IMG]

Edit: after a prolonged wear around the house this evening they are fitting quite a bit better and I believe they'll break im just fine.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Those are really great looking shoes and I hope they continue to break in. Thanks for the style number and I will update my master list. That same number was used on black PTB seen below. The lining stamp said 2168 292530061 1 10 1/2 C / A. So maybe it is not a style number as yours are clearly not black.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. davidVC

davidVC Well-Known Member

Thanks smfdoc for all the nice comments of my blog - vcleat.com

Below are a pair of Florsheim 30679 Varsity that I fixed up this past weekend. I wore them around today and they fit great. The leather was in great shape for being nearly 50 years old. Keepers.

I got them for $25 on eBay (plus shipping). Which seems like a bargain. But with vintage shoes, you never know what your getting until you open the box. Could be great. Or crap. But its usually something between those.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. MattRiv

Those look great.

I noticed you recently posted a very similar pair of Bostonian shell PTBs on your blog and was wondering if you had any insight into how old the pair I posted above might be? I can't find any good info on the differences in logos for Bostonian, similar to the information you provided for the Florsheim Kenmoors.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Sometimes "Vintage" simply refers to a number of years and many people use 20 as an arbitrary number. But vintage can also refer to a style or material that is associated with a specific earlier time. With that in mind, the split toe Belmont by Allen Edmonds becomes vintage by its leather as opposed to the split toe design. The shark version of the Belmont was released in 2002. This very distinctive shoe is remarkable for the toughness of the shark. To date, I have yet to see a single scratch or scuff on the leather. It seems just tough as nails.

[​IMG]

11. davidVC

davidVC Well-Known Member

I don't have much info on Bostonian logos. I have a couple old Bostonian catalogs but they are from the 1960s. The color on @MattRiv PTBs looks great.

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Time for some shell long wing Florsheims from 1990. These are 97626 and were the replacement for the 93605.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. vijayagopalp

vijayagopalp Member

Hello members need your expert insights, I recently purchased Hanover L B Sheppard Shell LWBs from eBay, they are gorgeous pair of shoes and have full leather heels with v-cleats. Which I have not seen on Hanover shells, I have 3 Hanover shells and they all have rubber heels. Help me to find the age of these shoes...pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. MattRiv

No idea on the age, but those shoes are beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  15. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Time to break out the Florsheim Imperial Long wings this week. These USA made shoes, style 93604, are just super quality and can be found on Ebay for around $100 in good condition.

[​IMG]

16. MattRiv

Picked up a pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor country grain LWBs from eBay for $75. They were delivered today and I can't believe the shape that they are in.

Here are some pics after a quick clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really excited about these. Marked 93602.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Those are really nice. I keep looking for the same country grain in my size and I just find the occasional black. What a really nice buy. Give a fit and comfort report after you have them out for the day.

18. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Well-Known Member

I just took delivery of a NOS pair of 93605's (Florsheim #8 LWB). They are absolutely gorgeous and my first pair of vintage Florsheim's. I haven't had a chance to photograph them yet, but I will surely post some pics here when I do!

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Well....we're waiting.[​IMG]

20. MattRiv

They are awesome. They weren't even broken in by the previous owner, so these will be all my own. The construction is incredible, on par with Alden. The interior leather is not glove soft as my 93605s, but very similar to what AE is using. The last works extremely well with my foot and runs a bit tighter than the 93605, but that might change as they break in.