• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smfdoc and @davidVC are the experts.

Not me! An expert is a guy at least 50 miles from his office with a power point presentation. That toe will be an issue as it is darker than the surrounding shoe. You should also post these at the shoe care thread and see what they have to say.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PSU John

Reaction score
Yeah, not really my cup of tea. I don't mind split toes, but the one piece vamp and laces are a bit odd. They were discontinued in 2009. I can't see myself pulling those from the closet in lieu of all of my other black shoes. But someone will love them.

... but talk about suicide heels! Those metal heel taps would not only feel like hell, but would be wicked on a terrazzo floor. Who thinks of stuff like that?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... but talk about suicide heels! Who thinks of stuff like that?

"Heel taps increase the life of your shoes." Good counsel, from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... but talk about suicide heels! Those metal heel taps would not only feel like hell, but would be wicked on a terrazzo floor. Who thinks of stuff like that?

Never have been able to work out why anyone thought they were a great idea- safety wise.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Seeking some help. I picked up these Church's recently. In general, they are in great shape
View attachment 861353
View attachment 861354
2 questions: does anyone know what this "s" in a circle symbol on the sole means?
View attachment 861355

Second: they have this nasty scratch in the toe; any suggestions on how to repair this?
View attachment 861356

Thanks!
John

Everytime I've seen something like that "repaired" it's heavy polish that does it. Basically, your only strategy is to coat the entire toe in a thick enough layer of polish that it covers up the surface imperfection. Those who do it well actually make it look quite nice.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up some LWBs on Ebay and the maker's name and logo are worn off. I'm trying to figure out who made these shoes. The seller initially listed them as Florsheims, but that is not correct. The construction quality is very good and identical to Florsheim Royal Imperials I have had. The seller then changed the listing to Nettleton. I don't think that is correct either. The medallion on the toe is used by Alden, but I am not sure that they are Aldens either. They have a V cleat sole, and I have never seen an Alden with that, but I hear it has occurred. The label inside says:

9 1/2 D 88764 5
COMB 7248A J5

Any thoughts would be welcome. Here they are after some clean up.

IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2349.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 8.13.15 AM.png

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everytime I've seen something like that "repaired" it's heavy polish that does it. Basically, your only strategy is to coat the entire toe in a thick enough layer of polish that it covers up the surface imperfection. Those who do it well actually make it look quite nice.

I agree.

Is the upper polished cobbler? Sort of looks like it. If so, its a tough one to fix or at least I have had no luck fixing it. Its basically a gouge in the material.

If it isn't polished cobbler, I have done a very light sanding (1800+ grit) of the area and recolored it. But that is much easier with shoes that are black or brown (medium to dark). Light color shoes are harder. And that color looks hard to match.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up some LWBs on Ebay and the maker's name and logo are worn off. I'm trying to figure out who made these shoes. The seller initially listed them as Florsheims, but that is not correct. The construction quality is very good and identical to Florsheim Royal Imperials I have had. The seller then changed the listing to Nettleton. I don't think that is correct either. The medallion on the toe is used by Alden, but I am not sure that they are Aldens either. They have a V cleat sole, and I have never seen an Alden with that, but I hear it has occurred. The label inside says:

9 1/2 D 88764 5
COMB 7248A J5

Any thoughts would be welcome. Here they are after some clean up.

View attachment 861889 View attachment 861890 View attachment 861891

I am pretty sure they are French Shriner shoes from the 1960s. The medallion is one French Shriner used. Its sort of unique

Here is a ebay listing of a similar pair:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112605671163

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are French Shriner shoes from the 1960s. The medallion is one French Shriner used. Its sort of unique

Here is a ebay listing of a similar pair:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112605671163

Thanks. It is the same medallion. The construction quality on those in the Ebay ad is not as high. (single row stitching versus double, etc.) I shall investigate further.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads