• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its easy to get caught up in the pursuit of shell or some other exotic vintage shoe and to ignore the classics that are available. The one "standard" classic Florsheim I was missing was a good 96302 brown pebble LWB. I had one that did not fit well and I have filled the other gaps of black and shell, but the brown has eluded me for some time. They just are not that common in EEE. But hopes are now high because I found one that is 1/2 size larger than intended. For me, that is usually a good thing fit-wise. So these are on their way and ready for some TLC to clean the contrasting welt stitches, polish and Collonil to get the right glow. These are either 77 or 87. Even the latter option is 30 years old, so they have held up pretty well.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.12.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.13.17 PM.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its easy to get caught up in the pursuit of shell or some other exotic vintage shoe and to ignore the classics that are available. The one "standard" classic Florsheim I was missing was a good 96302 brown pebble LWB. I had one that did not fit well and I have filled the other gaps of black and shell, but the brown has eluded me for some time. They just are not that common in EEE. But hopes are now high because I found one that is 1/2 size larger than intended. For me, that is usually a good thing fit-wise. So these are on their way and ready for some TLC to clean the contrasting welt stitches, polish and Collonil to get the right glow. These are either 77 or 87. Even the latter option is 30 years old, so they have held up pretty well.

View attachment 861095 View attachment 861096

If I could go back in time, I would tell a 6 year old me, to buy all of the Florsheim v-cleats and keep them to flip to this group.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other lines of EIs, but they have a lower tier LWB where the longwing is not a single piece of leather. However, it does have the standard O'Sullivan heel. I haven't done a full breakdown on this pair versus my other two EIs. I imagine there are other differences (beyond the split longwing).

View attachment 861092

Both of my pairs are the pebbled grain leather. And look to be a single piece of leather for the longwing.

I should do a longwing comparison. I have 2 pairs of B Mason, 4 pairs of Florsheim, and 1 pair of Nettleton.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 861095 View attachment 861096

Those appear to have very limited wear. They should clean up nicely

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of my pairs are the pebbled grain leather. And look to be a single piece of leather for the longwing.

I should do a longwing comparison. I have 2 pairs of B Mason, 4 pairs of Florsheim, and 1 pair of Nettleton.

2 out of my 3 Masons are pebble grain, too -- the mustardy brown and the black. My gunboat LWB collection has ballooned thanks to this crew -- 2 AE MacNeils, 3 Mason, 2 Florsheim, 1 Weyenberg, and 1 Cordwainer Wright.

(+1 to Florsheim count -- forgot I had another pair in the mail. Ugh.)

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One off the bucket list. Cole-Haan Italian made spades from the 90s. But not in corrected grain.

Cole-Haan Spades.jpg

M.Photog

Reaction score
My guess is that they were made by J&M in the late 60s.

Both Freeman and J&M used that star pattern by the eyelets on a few models. But they don't look like a Freeman design

Did Weyenberg ever do any work for Brooks Brothers?

M.Photog

Reaction score
Good choice - I have the identical shoe in 11D as part of my 40+ collection... I am at the point now where I would have to find something very special to justify another buy, and that's why I joined this group (to be exposed to great shoes, not to help cure my addition!)

Joining this group to cure a vintage shoe addiction would be a bit like joining the Moose Lodge hoping to overcome alcoholism. :cheers:

PSU John

Reaction score
I don't know. Most of the BB shoes I see were made by Alden or Allen Edmonds.

The star pattern by the eyelets IS used by Alden in their model 966 SWB, but that may only be a coincidence that it shows up in those shell PTBs

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Most of the BB shoes I see were made by Alden or Allen Edmonds.

A few made by Crockett Jones and Church's as well.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Seeking some help. I picked up these Church's recently. In general, they are in great shape
20171020_065023.jpg

20171020_064832.jpg

2 questions: does anyone know what this "s" in a circle symbol on the sole means?
20171020_064759.jpg

Second: they have this nasty scratch in the toe; any suggestions on how to repair this?
20171020_064929.jpg

Thanks!
John

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads