• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was sleeting this morning in the mid-south. Thankfully it turned to rain. But, I needed to wear something to stand up to wet and cold. Today is a good reason to own some CG shoes.

These Johnston Murphy Melton are old enough they were still made in the USA. The fact they are CG is a slight ding on them. But, on a day like today, I’m glad.

75C36225-A8A1-48B7-8F8E-7DB1A083B5E3.jpeg
24951308-7195-48FC-B43B-5374123A2F50.jpeg

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the two buttons on the waist are something I’ve never seen in 1950s Florsheim, I believe that if this pair of boots were 1930s, they would have the cursive Florsheim logo. I also don’t think that pre-1950s Florsheims I’ve this size number on the footbed, but I haven’t been able to personally handle enough of them to be sure. Does your 1930s pair have the cursive logo or the footbed size stamp?

My 1930s pair has the cursive logo. I don't think the boots are from the late 1930s since they would have been in the 38 catalog (its large). I was mainly noting the buttons in the construction.

And my note about the medallion is that Florsheim made almost no shoes in 1938 that had a medallion other than a few wingtips. All the toes were plain, French or perforated (quarter brogue). I assume the medallion toes were more prevalent later.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These spectators I posted a while back are stamped with a 42 and marked 10.5, so they seem to fall in line. As @mormonopoly said, the numbering just doesn't seem to take half sizes into account. View attachment 1340471

I have recently discovered I am a 10.5D. Are you keeping them or selling them?

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1930s pair has the cursive logo. I don't think the boots are from the late 1930s since they would have been in the 38 catalog (its large). I was mainly noting the buttons in the construction.

And my note about the medallion is that Florsheim made almost no shoes in 1938 that had a medallion other than a few wingtips. All the toes were plain, French or perforated (quarter brogue). I assume the medallion toes were more prevalent later.

I would love to swoon over the shoes in the 1938 catalog. Is there any chance that might get scanned?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to some pictures of the American made J&M Shells I picked up a while back. I’ve got to say, they weren’t really giving Florsheim any space to breathe back then.
7D57D1AE-1C21-4AE8-907B-C63599865A5D.jpeg
50DA8991-54FF-48DE-A3B9-A09C7B45FF2B.jpeg

drewzter

Reaction score
Who can help me identify or find more information on these vintage brooks brothers English made shoes. on the bottom sole it says in bold caps brooks brothers and made in england under it. I'm not sure if it's churches or cheaney or Peal. I found on a sold yahoo jp auction that this pair was listed as church's
e34112d2d4d0d86057967cdbb4096296--brooks-brothers-oxfords.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Edit : dug into it more and these are Cheaney in the 911 last

Last edited:

right_hook

Reaction score
This is what’s always confused me most. The Florsheim numbers look like they would be European sizes, but they don’t correspond. My 11s are 43, my 12s are 44, and my 13s are 45.
European 43 can't be US11. No way. Same for the others sizes you mentioned. Obvious mistake there. Or those are not european sizes.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old do you suppose they are? Could you share a picture of the logo so I know what to look for when thrifting?
I can share the best picture I could get, but it won’t help much. Someone else might be able to share a useable picture of a label that lines up with what little you can see of mine. I don’t know what they used for printing, but the ink is mostly worn away, both here and the side info. You pretty much have to look at both shoes to assemble all the size/model/etc info. I’m not sure of age, but early enough that a Made in USA declaration seems not to have been necessary (where the heck else would you make shoes for sale in America?).
B4D5E4C9-010F-4AF0-95F6-88D806B8B0D9.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
European 43 can't be US11. No way. Same for the others sizes you mentioned. Obvious mistake there. Or those are not european sizes.
I wonder if Florsheim just created their own arbitrary and proprietary sequential sizing system back then.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I’m saying that they’re not European sizes, they just happen to use similar numbers.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those up for sale on eBay. Too bad they aren’t my size.

You need to embrace different sizes - 9E, 9.5C, 9.5D. A little wiggle room can be remedied easily.

I have sold 2 of the 4 pairs I listed. I'm pretty proud of myself as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads