• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

eTrojan

Reaction score
@davidVC Says it all:

Rare, originally double v-cleat, and a nice diversion from LWBs and PTBs.

I will get these rebuilt with JR soles and cat paw heels. I figure they will be versatile for suits and casual.
I believe I have a pair of these in 12B. They are project shoes I haven’t gotten around to. The project would involve removing copious amounts of caked on polish and stretching them a bit to fit.

If someone is an actual 12B looking for a pair of black Florsheim split-toes, we can probably work something out.

eTrojan

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that - we know they discoed the MacNeil because ae ashley said so in the ae 2019 thread last month, but I hadn't heard that they dumped the McT, too... :(
Discontinuing the MacNeil? Tragic. One of America’s classic shoes. I have 6 pair. Love each one.

Black shell
#8 shell
1960-something black pebble
1985 black pebble
1979 brown pebble
Later model burgundy CG

eTrojan

Reaction score
Shoes that make me sad. Looks like an awesome opportunity until you see that they are Prince Charles specials with stitched repairs.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding purchase and restoration.

I found a pair of Alden 961. They need a resole and restoration. I really like the NST. I can buy them for $30, but they are unwearable without a restoration. A restoration will cost $179. So, I would have $209 in them. I would, of course, pay $200 for new Alden. But, they won’t be new. You think it’s worth it?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actionjbone

Reaction score
Gentlemen... opinions: amazing deal, or stay very far away?

Cheaney for Brooks Brothers caught my attention, but those were NOT properly stored...

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen... opinions: amazing deal, or stay very far away?

Cheaney for Brooks Brothers caught my attention, but those were NOT properly stored...
If they were my size, I would buy them ASAP and try to do the wet paper towel trick. The creases can be improved.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding purchase and restoration.

I found a pair of Alden 961. They need a resole and restoration. I really like the NST. I can buy them for $30, but they are unwearable without a restoration. A restoration will cost $179. So, I would have $209 in them. I would, of course, pay $200 for new Alden. But, they won’t be new. You think it’s worth it?
Always worth it

Nealjpage

Reaction score
Not my shoes. AE Leeds in shell. 9D for amazing price. @friendlygoz and @saskatoonjay

Added to my watch list. Might be a half-size too big but might be worth a gamble. I'll sleep on it.

gorebug

Reaction score
Grabbed these vintage made in Canada Florsheims on the weekend. What is the proper term to describe them? They are a ‘long-wing’ but the pattern is only sewn in, there isn’t a second piece of leather comprising the detail.

Attachments

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always worth it
Well, maybe not always. I have seen some that are too far gone to make a restoration possible.

Here’s a couple pictures:

C679EE6D-1A72-4152-9609-69A0BBBE7B8C.jpeg
14519315-FF0E-4D71-BA54-2B9D44F19562.jpeg

they don’t look completely destroyed. But, only a restoration is going to help.

Here’s an example. I have a pair that looks like these below. These are not mine, but mine are about the same.

I THINK that once these cracks form, there is no going back. Right?

6949B7D8-2384-4389-901E-BA288D4BC53F.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.