• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a gamble for me! Being wider footed, my only choice was MTO. So, I had to hope they'd fit and then wait 4 months...doesn't seem so bad now that I'm waiting 6 months for Aldens. :p
I would say these pretty well run pretty TTS for me compared to the 65 last. I usually do 11EEE in the 65 last (and most AE shoes; 11EE in Barrie/TruBal is very comfortable), but I can fit into an 11EE 65 last if I had to. I would say with some break-in stretch I think they'll work fine. I feel like it's a hair shorter than the 65, but not as short as the 1943 for sure. As far as instep, the vamp volume is similar to the 65 (comparable to AE's Liverpool for volume). So if you're anything like smfdoc these would be a no-go.
Great info! I'm pretty much a 10D in the AE 65 last, and a comfy 9.5D in the Alden Barrie last. I even have a pair of Indy's (trubalance) in 9D that fit great. So, would I go with a 10D in your opinion?

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! This thread has been a delight to read (and then the subsequent reading of the vcleat blog), and been a direct relation to my unproductive work week. As I got "into" quality leather shoes I decided that longwings have been the style I like best. Since Monday I have gone from $0 "invested" in vintage shoes to having bids on 3 shoes on the Bay. This might be an entirely subjective question with no real answer, but here is the story. One of the shoes I'm looking at is a pair of Florsheim Imperial 93602 with the FA stamp (which if I was able to correctly comprehend what I read here and other resources) dating it to June of '60, '70, or '80. The heels have been replaced but it appears original outsole is still intact. I have attached one of the images from the seller, the other shoe is in similar, if not slightly better condition. Does that look like it has enough life left to be used, or should they be resoled after purchase? The uppers of both shoes appear to be in good+ shape.

Thanks!

View attachment 845361

It is well worn. I can't really tell from the picture whether it needs resoling or not. My advice on Florsheim calf models is only to buy items that do not require resoling. The cost of resole makes it unattractive because you can always find pairs with very little wear well under the resole cost + purchase price.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great info! I'm pretty much a 10D in the AE 65 last, and a comfy 9.5D in the Alden Barrie last. I even have a pair of Indy's (trubalance) in 9D that fit great. So, would I go with a 10D in your opinion?
That's what I'm thinking, since you can even hit a 9D in TruBal I don't think you'd be too short with the JF. You might get a hair more width than with the AE65, but again since you're good in the 9.5D Barrie I don't think you'd have TOO much room. Justin mentioned a California shop that was going to start stocking a few models. You might be able to use them for some test fits?

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my evening commute from work wearing Hanover LB Sheppard Signature PTBs in shell cordovan.

Question: which pair in the picture do you like more?

IMG_1446.JPG

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally have the answers to my questions: They sold for a shockingly low $33, and indeed I was the person who bought them. Needless to say, I'm quite excited about this purchase.

Congrats, I actually threw in a low bid on those but now I wish I had bid a few bucks higher

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking, since you can even hit a 9D in TruBal I don't think you'd be too short with the JF. You might get a hair more width than with the AE65, but again since you're good in the 9.5D Barrie I don't think you'd have TOO much room. Justin mentioned a California shop that was going to start stocking a few models. You might be able to use them for some test fits?
Now, back to their site. The MTOs are looking very appealing right now... LOL!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some shoe Appreciation for y'all...

Bought 2 pairs of NOS shoes this month. You have already seen the Florsheim Imperial v-cleats in walnut. Today I received the Dexter in cigar shell (listed as burgundy).

Dexter are definitely lower quality in terms of leather but still a solid pair of kickers. Better than most of the crap made overseas.

I'm applying several rounds of Bick 4 and then Saphir Renovateur to condition the leather. Once on the road, will post more pics.
IMG_20170920_202523.jpg
IMG_20170920_202533.jpg
IMG_20170920_202545.jpg
IMG_20170920_202611.jpg
IMG_20170920_203934.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the following listing, such as:
A: are they really shell?
B: who is the manufacturer?
C: are they worth the price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-American-Shell-Cordovan-Shoe-in-size-9-Oxford/282661147566?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks for the help.
A. Crappy pics, but looks to be shell.
B. Can't determine mfg, but I'm sure some digging tonight could match the footbed logo remnants.
C. Under $100 is good for shell. Looks to be plenty of sole under ball, but he hides the heel wear (seems to be more there based on bottom of shoe pic). Mfg could affect pricing too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads