• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cole Haan "Wales", in cigar shell, from their "Crafted in Italy" line, early 2000s.
Possibly my favorite pair of shells. I got ton of use out of this and they still look fantastic, although they need a bit of Saphir shell cream. Not sure who made them, and this is definitely Italian shell, not Horween.
But these were absolute gems. Goodyear welted as well.

View attachment 1245360View attachment 1245361View attachment 1245362
Those are the best Cole Haans I have ever seen. Super pair of shoes. Assuming that these are uber rare? I've never seen a pair of these before, which is most unfortunate since I'd love to find them in my size.

WSB17

Reaction score
Pretty sure they were made by artioli. Very different from the typical artioli style. I have this in the shell and an amazing black leather. They had a whole series of these. There was a monk too.
Interesting.. thanks for pointing this out. I don't know a lot about Artioli actually, but I will look them up.

The Cole Haan "Crafted in Italy" City/Country line was quite amazing, and produced some amazing shoes.
I own a few of them actually. The famous "Werner" spade-sole wingtips and chukkas are the most well known, also there was a "Norwegian" braided, split-toe derbies. But the shell models I think were the most extraordinary. Apparently these were in store as late as 2005.

WSB17

Reaction score
Those are the best Cole Haans I have ever seen. Super pair of shoes. Assuming that these are uber rare? I've never seen a pair of these before, which is most unfortunate since I'd love to find them in my size.
Yes, the shells in particular were quite limited. I never seen them on eBay either.
If only I knew better at the time and grabbed few...

ccpl14

Reaction score
Vintage AE Saratoga loafers. These have been worn maybe once.
7B97F48A-CD08-475D-B2B1-3CBEE0146183.jpeg
B1FF23CD-CAD1-455B-BCEF-49FBCC8E3F03.jpeg
90A40102-F04A-41E4-A6BD-B658ADE8998A.jpeg

Jiqea

Reaction score
Style Forum membership has benefits!!!

Yesterday, while readying to go out for the evening, I received a direct message from the beating heart of the Vintage Dress Shoe Appreciation thread; yes @suitforcourt!!! Ken maintains a posting on a local buy and sell board indicating his interest in purchasing quality Canadian vintage shoes. Recently he was contacted by a gentleman in Ottawa about a very intriguing pair of Dacks that appeared to date from the 1950's. They were not in Ken's svelte 9G size, nor in the Toronto area, so he kindly reached out and hooked me up with the vendor.

This morning I met the gentleman, who as it turns out had thrifted these shoes in Toronto years ago and worn them only once. Ken had already negotiated a very attractive price, so after a nice chat, I was on my way home with these beauties.

They are a remarkable pair in a few regards. Dating vintage shoes can often be difficult, but this pair has a few attributes that allow for a fairly precise determination of their age. The Dacks company was sold by Stanford Elmore Dack (old S.E., my avatar) to the Marston group in 1948. By the fall of 1949 the new owners had completed a refresh of the company branding, including moving from the old thinner script Dacks logo to a "modern" thicker script. This new thicker script shows up on these shoes on their sock-liner, soles and heels, and indicate the shoes do not date before mid-1949.

The "Custom Grade" sock-liner, with the text oriented parallel to the long axis of the shoe, was the first of the "new logo" sock-liners and was only used from late 1949 to 1953; therefore these shoes cannot date later 1953. The shoes also employ the 3 digit coding system for colour, material and style. At some point during this four year window Dacks added an extra digit to their coding,with both 3 and and 4 digit examples paired with this sock-liner extant. This suggests that these shoes should date earlier in this window rather than later. This hypothesis is supported by the fact that the red diamond sock-liner tag retains the old narrow script Dacks logo. I have seen roughly a dozen of these 1949-53 Dacks shoes, and all but this pair have a thick "modern script" diamond tag. This leads me to believe that this pair likely dates to late 1949 or early 1950, when Dacks was either using up their old stock of the diamond tags, or had yet to receive a supply of the new embroidered tags. This "old script" red diamond tag is in fact the very first of these I have seen, which speaks to the dismal survival rate of pre-1950 shoes.

IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg

Last edited:

mormonopoly

Reaction score
Did someone here get these? I bought them on Poshmark but the seller cancelled my order. Looks like he had already sold them on eBay.
Dang if someone did, I’ll happily double your money for them!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style Forum membership has benefits!!!

Yesterday, while readying to go out for the evening, I received a direct message from the beating heart of the Vintage Dress Shoe Appreciation thread; yes @suitforcourt!!! Ken maintains a posting on a local buy and sell board indicating his interest in purchasing quality Canadian vintage shoes. Recently he was contacted by a gentleman in Ottawa about a very intriguing pair of Dacks that appeared to date from the 1950's. They were not in Ken's svelte 9G size, nor in the Toronto area, so he kindly reached out and hooked me up with the vendor.

This morning I met the gentleman, who as it turns out had thrifted these shoes in Toronto years ago and worn them only once. Ken had already negotiated a very attractive price, so after a nice chat, I was on my way home with these beauties.

They are a remarkable pair in a few regards. Dating vintage shoes can often be difficult, but this pair has a few attributes that allow for a fairly precise determination of their age. The Dacks company was sold by Stanford Elmore Dack (old S.E., my avatar) to the Marston group in 1948. By the fall of 1949 the new owners had completed a refresh of the company branding, including moving from the old thinner script Dacks logo to a "modern" thicker script. This new thicker script shows up on these shoes on their sock-liner, soles and heels, and indicate the shoes do not date before mid-1949.

The "Custom Grade" sock-liner, with the text oriented parallel to the long axis of the shoe, was the first of the "new logo" sock-liners and was only used from late 1949 to 1953; therefore these shoes cannot date later 1953. The shoes also employ the 3 digit coding system for colour, material and style. At some point during this four year window Dacks added an extra digit to their coding,with both 3 and and 4 digit examples paired with this sock-liner extant. This suggests that these shoes should date earlier in this window rather than later. This hypothesis is supported by the fact that the red diamond sock-liner tag retains the old narrow script Dacks logo. I have seen roughly a dozen of these 1949-53 Dacks shoes, and all but this pair have a thick "modern script" diamond tag. This leads me to believe that this pair likely dates to late 1949 or early 1950, when Dacks was either using up their old stock of the diamond tags, or had yet to receive a supply of the new embroidered tags. This "old script" red diamond tag is in fact the very first of these I have seen, which speaks to the dismal survival rate of pre-1950 shoes.

View attachment 1245586View attachment 1245587View attachment 1245589View attachment 1245591View attachment 1245590
Those shoes were made when my grandparents went to Hong Kong. Nice pick up. Didn't know I was the heart beat of the group. But I like the title.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang if someone did, I’ll happily double your money for them!
Totally your style. Or you have a competitor for cool vintage footwear!

friendlygoz

Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
As you may know, Sears and Roebuck is in dire shape these days, closing stores left and right. Now, Sears owns the Thom McAn brand. If, God forbid, Sears should go under, what happens to the brand? Does it get sold off in bankruptcy, or does it just disappear? 2022 would be the hundredth anniversary of the brand, and if Sears could keep the lights on until then, they could do any number of things to celebrate. In any case I've been loading up on Thom McAns just in case things go south and I can't get any more new pairs.

mormonopoly

Reaction score
Speaking of Thom McAn, I've been wearing these c.1960 Bootmaster Style shoes lately. I thrifted two identical pairs in deadstock condition and left behind a third that was worn to death. It seemed that someone stocked up while they could not realizing how long one pair would last.
IMG_6175.JPG

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifting at 5 PM on a Sunday is rarely productive. When I walked into my local Goodwill, after getting back from Sonoma and before getting groceries, the shoe shelves were almost empty. But they did have these Alan McAfee wingtips in my size, sitting forlornly. I think these are from the 80's.
37D6932C-CF50-4552-B75E-148F9A50FE00.jpeg
A36DEDAB-11C4-4029-8E95-B2D2A90145DB.jpeg

Turned around and the suit rack had a Zegna Soft cashmere/cotton unstructured patch pocket sport coat in my younger son’s size, so I grabbed that too.
43F140FB-6123-4657-9DE9-FA96077EB960.jpeg

While wearing a pair of Hanover (for Sears!) PTBs I thrifted last summer.
D09FA942-8858-4F96-B500-5F2C84149AAE.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21bc.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Reaction score
Thrifting at 5 PM on a Sunday is rarely productive. When I walked into my local Goodwill, after getting back from Sonoma and before getting groceries, the shoe shelves were almost empty. But they did have these Alan McAfee wingtips in my size, sitting forlornly.
View attachment 1245852View attachment 1245853
Turned around and the suit rack had a Zegna Soft cashmere/cotton unstructured patch pocket sport coat in my younger son’s size, so I grabbed that too.View attachment 1245854
While wearing a pair of Hanover (for Sears!) PTBs I thrifted last summer. View attachment 1245855
I'm pretty sure our lunch brought you good luck. Let me go with that since I never have this kind of luck.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
Interesting.. thanks for pointing this out. I don't know a lot about Artioli actually, but I will look them up.

The Cole Haan "Crafted in Italy" City/Country line was quite amazing, and produced some amazing shoes.
I own a few of them actually. The famous "Werner" spade-sole wingtips and chukkas are the most well known, also there was a "Norwegian" braided, split-toe derbies. But the shell models I think were the most extraordinary. Apparently these were in store as late as 2005.
Calling on David @ Vcleat to make a Cole Haan post.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.