• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

friendlygoz

Reaction score
Lately I've been wearing one of the rarest and most unique pairs in my collection. These are 1930's Star Brand shoes. They shine brighter with less effort than any other shoe in my collection and I love the art deco style stitching details.
View attachment 1238742
Your collection never ceases to amaze me. Wow.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I move into this thread to continue black week.
View attachment 1238970
I do enjoy seeing those alligator J&M shoes. They fit you like a glove. For those who do not know, these were from around 1992 and were a handmade shoe offering. Prices for these at the time, according to the catalog, were $1,000 when most of the other shoes were around $225. They are very special.

Jiqea

Reaction score
I have been searching a long time for pictures of a pair of truly early Dacks, and yesterday I found them! I believe these shoes to pre-date 1923, which was when Dacks opened their Montreal and Winnipeg stores, and stopped using "Dacks Toronto" in their advertising. Just such a super cool thing. The vendor wants a fortune and I just cant justify buying them, although I am jonesing bad. They are a real piece of Canadian shoe history, and I bet there are not many left in existence.That black diamond "Made by Dacks Toronto" tag with the early script makes my knees weak. Dacks did very little advertising pre-1923, so I cant pin these shoes down precisely. However the post 1923 ads suggest to me that these were likely one of their lower quality offerings. It is funny how an old beat up pair of shoes can get you excited!!
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pnin22

Reaction score
I have been searching a long time for pictures of a pair of truly early Dacks, and yesterday I found them! I believe these shoes to pre-date 1923, which was when Dacks opened their Montreal and Winnipeg stores, and stopped using "Dacks Toronto" in their advertising. Just such a super cool thing. The vendor wants a fortune and I just cant justify buying them, although I am jonesing bad. They are a real piece of Canadian shoe history, and I bet there are not many left in existence.That black diamond "Made by Dacks Toronto" tag with the early script makes my knees weak. Dacks did very little advertising pre-1923, so I cant pin these shoes down precisely. However the post 1923 ads suggest to me that these were likely one of their lower quality offerings. It is funny how an old beat up pair of shoes can get you excited!!
What would you do with these shoes if you were to buy them? Restore them in some way? Clean them? Put in display case or wear?

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They didn't send any photos of date codes, but that U-Tip spectator style was popular in the early 1950s. So that's how I dated them.

Why unworn? Sometimes people wait for the right time to wear a special pair of shoes. And sometimes that right time never comes.
I’ve found that oftentimes special occasion shoes like white bucks,exotics,formals,and spectators are in very good condition as they usually aren’t worn alot

Jiqea

Reaction score
What would you do with these shoes if you were to buy them? Restore them in some way? Clean them? Put in display case or wear?
They are size 13, so that rules out wearing. I think I would sympathetically restore one and leave the other as found, and put them on display.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.