• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe our world will eventually transform to the Star Trek TNG level, where we ban use of all sentient beings for any purpose. I guess "beyond meat" is just the beginning.

Our thread better hoarde all of the leather, especially shell shoes. We'll have to conduct underground meetings to share our mutual interests.

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh....I'm not ready to take things to that Gene Roddenberry next level. Grab as many leather shoes as you can before some vegan tries to guilt trip you out of them. Smile when you look inside that Hanover and it says "ALL LEATHER SHOE"
[/QUOTE]
Uhhh... cows are practically walking vegetables. The definition of sentience in certain “politically correct terms” ignores the reality that it requires a degree of self awareness that’s lacking in all but a few higher-order mammals (nearly all of which really enjoy eating other animals).

As for Star Trek, I love Trek (well, that doesn’t include ST:D), but Roddenberry was a bit of a weirdo who wouldn’t have lasted two minutes in the “meeeee to” era.

happypebble

Reaction score
Props to Mike's Shoe Repair in Vegas for taking this beat up pair, giving them a good cleaning and replacing the heel plates, and generally making them look great. They've earned my business.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Head cheese is always awesome. Sandwich? Why yes, I think i will.

Head cheese, for me, is akin to tongue. When I was about 8 years old and realized what my parents were packing me for a lunch sandwich at school...yah, that was the last time I ever had tongue in my lifetime. I'm really not at all a selective eater but I cant handle head cheese.

That said, I am truly happy that I've inspired your lunch selection today!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not give in to the guilt trip. I live in California, so I have come to expect a certain level of crazy. One day I was checking out in a grocery store with a bag a pork rinds in my hand. Suddenly I hear this lady behind me say, "Oh my GOD! Are those what I think they are?" This was said with a look of disgust on her face as if she had just walked through a pile of snot and feces on the floor. I smiled and said, "Yes, they are what you think. They not only have all of the salt and grease of potato chips, they have the added advantage of killing an animal to get them." She switched to a different checkout line.
Virtue signaling is an almost sure sign of someone who is deeply troubled. The key components of virtue signaling are the public admonishment for your lack of virtue (e.g. you like eating delicious pork rinds) while simultaneously implying their superiority by indicating their own virtue (e.g. I’m so much better than you because I don’t eat poor defenseless animals). These same people will throw anyone and everyone under bus at the drop of a hat.

It’s a revolting behavior and one that I specifically and vocally call out as intellectually disingenuous when I see or hear people doing it.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the hype I live in probably one if not the most cliched California city in the state and you have to pull numbers at the meat dpt. of the market I shop at.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Virtue signaling is an almost sure sign of someone who is deeply troubled.

Uhhhhh ohhhh. What if one THINKS such things but is too polite for them to be spoken?

I will say, there is something to be said for being direct and confrontational about ones point of view even if it might suggest that one may be deeply troubled.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeeeeeaaaahhhh....I'm not ready to take things to that Gene Roddenberry next level. Grab as many leather shoes as you can before some vegan tries to guilt trip you out of them. Smile when you look inside that Hanover and it says "ALL LEATHER SHOE"

I do not give in to the guilt trip. I live in California, so I have come to expect a certain level of crazy. One day I was checking out in a grocery store with a bag a pork rinds in my hand. Suddenly I hear this lady behind me say, "Oh my GOD! Are those what I think they are?" This was said with a look of disgust on her face as if she had just walked through a pile of snot and feces on the floor. I smiled and said, "Yes, they are what you think. They not only have all of the salt and grease of potato chips, they have the added advantage of killing an animal to get them." She switc
Virtue signaling is an almost sure sign of someone who is deeply troubled. The key components of virtue signaling are the public admonishment for your lack of virtue (e.g. you like eating delicious pork rinds) while simultaneously implying their superiority by indicating their own virtue (e.g. I’m so much better than you because I don’t eat poor defenseless animals). These same people will throw anyone and everyone under bus at the drop of a hat.

It’s a revolting behavior and one that I specifically and vocally call out as intellectually disingenuous when I see or hear people doing it.
Interesting concept. Sort of the opposite of doing a good deed by declaring somene is doing a bad one. The former of which cannot be completely selfless, as was established on a Friends episode and the latter of which was carried out often by the Church Lady on SNL.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhhhhh ohhhh. What if one THINKS such things but is too polite for them to be spoken?

I will say, there is something to be said for being direct and confrontational about ones point of view even if it might suggest that one may be deeply troubled.
Just to be clear, it’s not what you think that is at issue, it’s the use of, ostensibly, your opinion to illustrate your own virtue.

There’s nothing wrong with holding a differing opinion. The person who is thinking “eating animals is mean and pork rinds are gross” is not virtue signaling. If they quietly take you aside and engage you in a conversation about how they’re unhealthy or how it’s mean to eat nice harmless pigs, that’s not virtue signaling.

But when someone makes a display of pointing out, for purposes of shaming you, how wrong you are for eating pork rinds, or driving an SUV, etc., rarely (IMHO) are they truly engaging in an activity intended to convince you of anything. It’s to convince others, and themselves, of how virtuous they are.

That’s why so many who engage in such behavior are such grotesque hypocrites (e.g. Leonardo DiCaprio running around lecturing people on global warming while burning up tens of thousands of pounds of jet fuel on grossly inefficient private jets): they’re often the ones harboring deep-seated, ridiculously maladjusted levels of guilt as a result of their cognitive dissonance.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just to be clear, it’s not what you think that is at issue, it’s the use of, ostensibly, your opinion to illustrate your own virtue.

There’s nothing wrong with holding a differing opinion. The person who is thinking “eating animals is mean and pork rinds are gross” is not virtue signaling. If they quietly take you aside and engage you in a conversation about how they’re unhealthy or how it’s mean to eat nice harmless pigs, that’s not virtue signaling.

But when someone makes a display of pointing out, for purposes of shaming you, how wrong you are for eating pork rinds, or driving an SUV, etc., rarely (IMHO) are they truly engaging in an activity intended to convince you of anything. It’s to convince others, and themselves, of how virtuous they are.

That’s why so many who engage in such behavior are such grotesque hypocrites (e.g. Leonardo DiCaprio running around lecturing people on global warming while burning up tens of thousands of pounds of jet fuel on grossly inefficient private jets): they’re often the ones harboring deep-seated, ridiculously maladjusted levels of guilt as a result of their cognitive dissonance.

I wasnt being that serious with my answer. However, I can think of lots of cases where my values are such that publicly calling someone out is justified and I dont really give a crap if that makes people think I'm a nut for doing so. And while it may well be thecase that my efforts will be fruitless, ie. Wasted breath, it doesnt mean that it shouldn't be done.

To be clear, I'm not talking about calling someone out for something rediculous like buying pork rinds, although this does beg the question of who is the arbiter of what is or isnt a justifiable call out.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there shoes in here somewhere?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder why this never made it to mass market? We use so many other skins/leathers already.

Or camel skin...like these Dack’s camel short wings I wore today.
06C79FC7-DB52-414B-A7C3-256F24DDD381.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics