• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

actionjbone

Reaction score
I'm not mad, either, and I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about vintage shoes compared to most of the regular posters on this thread. But, as the doc says above, everything is relative: I'm in a place now where I can afford some nicer shoes, but it wasn't always like that for me.

There are a couple of pairs of shoes in my closet right now that were seriously high end to me when I bought them* that I'm getting ready to donate to a thrift store because I don't wear them any more, but they're still in good shape, and I'm sure somebody will be happy to have them.

(*15 or 20 years ago, spending $100 on a pair of shoes felt like the height of indulgence to me.)

I didn't ask that question as an insult to anybody who wears shoes made in India; I asked it because I'm interested in the answer. I have other types of clothing made in India that's pretty top-notch, and if there are nice high-end shoes coming out of India, I'd like to know about them. I meant no offense to you or anyone else, and I apologize if my question offended you.
Note that nobody in this thread is going to be offended. We're all here because we love shoes, and we all have different tastes and desires.

For example, everyone here is wrong about tassels being superior to kilties, but it doesn't upset me. (Joking.)

In all seriousness, everyone here just wants to keep learning more about shoes, and showing off our vintage collections. Some of us restore or modify our shoes, some of us just like to wear ones we buy. Some of us love pairs that have been around the block a few times, and some of us are willing to drop some dollars on New Old Stock.

None of us will be upset if you come in looking for good shoes that are made in India. Hells, I just found some MiIndia Stacy Adams Madisons for thirty bucks on Amazon warehouse deals - because it's a killer deal for kid leather GYW leather-soled shoes, and I want to do more comparisons between them and the 50 year-old version of the same shoe. For science.

We will, however, point out if there are superior American-made versions. For example, you can find vintage Dexters on eBay for for less than you'd pay for a new Indian pair of anything.

So, ask all your questions and enjoy what you like.

actionjbone

Reaction score
What is with the Italians and those square toes? My made in Italy Johnston Murphy have a very similar looking toe box. I keep them because they're well made, and they were a gift from my mom when I first started working. A topy and new rubber heels has made them rain shoes.
It was just the style of Italian shoes for a while.

I've got a pair of Florsheim Italian made quarter-boot slip-ons that have a wide, square toe. They're well-made and very comfortable, though I don't wear them often.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that nobody in this thread is going to be offended. We're all here because we love shoes, and we all have different tastes and desires.

For example, everyone here is wrong about tassels being superior to kilties, but it doesn't upset me. (Joking.)

In all seriousness, everyone here just wants to keep learning more about shoes, and showing off our vintage collections. Some of us restore or modify our shoes, some of us just like to wear ones we buy. Some of us love pairs that have been around the block a few times, and some of us are willing to drop some dollars on New Old Stock.

None of us will be upset if you come in looking for good shoes that are made in India. Hells, I just found some MiIndia Stacy Adams Madisons for thirty bucks on Amazon warehouse deals - because it's a killer deal for kid leather GYW leather-soled shoes, and I want to do more comparisons between them and the 50 year-old version of the same shoe. For science.

We will, however, point out if there are superior American-made versions. For example, you can find vintage Dexters on eBay for for less than you'd pay for a new Indian pair of anything.

So, ask all your questions and enjoy what you like.
+1 and an Amen to that. This is a very friendly and opened minded group of guys.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course I am a huge advocate for quality shoes - especially vintage ones found for a good price (if I can ever achieve @CWOyaji 's level of thrifting, then I will die having lived a rich life).

I must point out that some people simply cannot afford AE. Or even Florsheim, for that matter.

This group is not indicative of "general society" when it comes to tastes, knowledge, and obsession with shoes.

While some cannot afford well made shoes, others don't see the point. My brother is one of them. He wears 13eee so has limited choices. I bought him a pair of AE Fifth Avenues for his wedding, and then a pair of shell MacNeil. He is content to squeeze his feet into Ecco and Rockport.

For him, he doesn't understand why he should invest in well made shoes, because he sees footwear as disposable. Even though he has wide feet and wears orthotics, it is not worth the investment in his opinion.

Instead, he spends money on computer gaming.

I am glad that I researched shoes and found this thread. As a collective, you have enriched my fashion sense, and continuously reduced my chances at Freedom 55. Well, at least I am wearing awesome vintage shoes.

Carry on.
So you’re on-point with regards to many not being able to afford AE’s (let alone Alden, C&J, etc.). My only point was if you’re allready spending 225 bucks, spend 170 more and get a much better shoe, since you’re already well above the entry shoe price point.

As a side note, you’re a very good brother. My brother sure as hell never bought me a pair of really nice shoes, let alone shell MacNeil’s! I hope he enjoys his plastic Rockports.

(Note: the reason my collection of Shell is limited to two pair is because of my “investment” in an SLI’d 4K monster gaming rig - your brother will know what that means.)

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Note: the reason my collection of Shell is limited to two pair is because of my “investment” in an SLI’d 4K monster gaming rig - your brother will know what that means.)

Whoa. I've only got a single GTX1080 running a 27" 4K monitor here. There's only one game I play and it's pretty graphics intensive, but I can run it on max settings and still get close to 60fps, so pretty content for now. I did need to upgrade from an i5 to an i7 and doubled my RAM to 32GB recently because the i5 at 16GB couldn't handle 4K video editing at all. You need hyperthreading and lots of memory for that.

But I digress.

Looks like more rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Need to figure out which shoes to wear. No cordovan, unfortunately.

happypebble

Reaction score
What I keep forgetting to ask: Is there some secret to tying shoes so they don't come untied twenty times a day? Somedays I have to stop multiple times to address this.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I keep forgetting to ask: Is there some secret to tying shoes so they don't come untied twenty times a day? Somedays I have to stop multiple times to address this.

Double twist on the first tie and no further unravelling. Think King Edward VI invented it or some such...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've gone to using the surgeon's shoelace knot by default. Never need to worry about laces coming undone ever again.

Couple recent examples:

20190818-04-jpg.1225802

df5413d3-ac5e-46fe-ae48-23cc6c9ad4c8-jpeg.1226151

happypebble

Reaction score
My guess is, Indian factories CAN make a decent shoe if they want; it's just a matter of demand? As a pencil collector, it's become clear to me that Indian-made pencils are *world class* and competitive with anybody. Now, I've read a couple of articles on Chinese factories suggesting they have the ability to make quality products, but the business model is quantity over quality, i.e. sell Maersk container loads of cheap junk to the clueless Westerners. If the Indians come up with a good shoe, I'm interested--as much as I'd like some shell Aldens or super high end Allen Edmonds. (A pair of AEs new is a Whole Paycheck, so that might be a while)

I didn't ask that question as an insult to anybody who wears shoes made in India; I asked it because I'm interested in the answer. I have other types of clothing made in India that's pretty top-notch, and if there are nice high-end shoes coming out of India, I'd like to know about them. I meant no offense to you or anyone else, and I apologize if my question offended you.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Golden harvest pairs seems to get a premium sale price over the brown version. If one cannot find gh, would stripping and dyeing the brown 93602 or 97625 get us close to the color?
In my mind only golden harvest is golden harvest but some shoe wizards here could probably get one close.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gone to using the surgeon's shoelace knot by default. Never need to worry about laces coming undone ever again.

Couple recent examples:

20190818-04-jpg.1225802

df5413d3-ac5e-46fe-ae48-23cc6c9ad4c8-jpeg.1226151
I like that knot. I go with the Parisian. It’s symmetrical, stays tied and looks really clean. I lace my shoes with the left side longer than the right by about an inch. This ensures that the knot loops are equal. Kirby Allison has a good video on it. Take a look:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that knot. I go with the Parisian. It’s symmetrical, stays tied and looks really clean. I lace my shoes with the left side longer than the right by about an inch. This ensures that the knot loops are equal. Kirby Allison has a good video on it. Take a look:

I will try the Parisian knot this week. The damn French always have to one up everyone.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the over and under lacing on my Vibergs and maybe another pair or two (although I can't remember for sure if - or which - at the moment).
I "remembered" another pair I use over/under lacing on:

The Alden x Leffot Dearborns I'm wearing today ("remembered" is in quotes above because it was actually that I noticed the lacing when I put them on):

20190819_dearborns.jpg

(And I just noticed that the pattern is the opposite from one shoe to the other; I didn't even know that was possible. I must take a look at that...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads