• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

meister

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of very old MacNeils 9147. I was conditioning them today. Check out the lasting holes. They have gained their own patina. View attachment 1209816
You maintain they are lasting holes and not like Goodwill ticket holes? I ask because I have vintage shoes where I just imagined that was the only explanation.

stook1

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorites. I only recently started using Bick4 and like it but I use it differently than VSC. In my experience, VSC is as much a wax as a conditioner, whereas Bick4 and Lexol are more like dedicated conditioners. For a more neglected pairs, I might use both products, whereas VSC is sometime good on it's own for a quick touch up since it take a nice shine with some quick brushing. It will sometimes leave a white residue if I use too much (especially on newer shell) but it's usually pretty easy to brush off and isnt that persistent.

Is VSC your go-to now? I've thought about buying the gallon jug on amazon. But, I just opted for another 16oz-er of Bick4. I find that VSC can leave a white residue, though I still use it occasionally.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You maintain they are lasting holes and not like Goodwill ticket holes? I ask because I have vintage shoes where I just imagined that was the only explanation.
I always assumed they were thrift store ticket holes as well.

Only a handful of my shoes have these holes, and all from thrift stores.

But as usual, I defer to the collective knowledge and experience.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their favorites. I only recently started using Bick4 and like it but I use it differently than VSC. In my experience, VSC is as much a wax as a conditioner, whereas Bick4 and Lexol are more like dedicated conditioners. For a more neglected pairs, I might use both products, whereas VSC is sometime good on it's own for a quick touch up since it take a nice shine with some quick brushing. It will sometimes leave a white residue if I use too much (especially on newer shell) but it's usually pretty easy to brush off and isnt that persistent.
For whatever it's worth, I use the following:

1. Initial receipt of calf - I do a few rounds of Bick 4 and then finalize with Saphir Renovateur. Regular maintenance is a mix of the 2.

2. For CG - I use VSC.

3. For shell cordovan - I use Bick 4 and VSC initially. And then just VSC for regular maintenance. Light application only as the white residue does build up.

happypebble

Reaction score
Some better photos of my eBay find (the photos in the listing were very poor). Kudos to the seller, however, for finding the lid for the box, which was presumed lost. I forgot to get a picture of the soles, but they look pretty new old stock to me, basically unworn, perhaps a bit shopworn from sitting in a box for years.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I have encountered tickets or the insertion of the anti shoplifting devices, the sales people have just stuck them through the eyelets. Bigger holes; already made, less work and does not poke a hole in the shoes.

tcbinnc

Reaction score
Yeah, it is a little spooky, but it gives a nice spectator vibe. Here are the shots I tried to find last night to show the effect.

View attachment 1209632

View attachment 1209633

View attachment 1209634
Yes, nice. Looks like they used opposing grains to create the effect? I saw mentioned as an attribute, in a 50's/60's* AE video, how they "ensure" grain direction matches on each shoe, so of course they are aware of the opposite effect. However they did it, still cool. (and spooky lol).

* = aka "mid-century". Always makes me laugh when I see that term used. And cringe.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Reaction score
Yep. I do the same thing.

tcbinnc

Reaction score
It’s the lack of weirdness... that’s weird.
That said, I’d rather have regular feet, as I have additional restorative surgery to look forward to later in life and perpetual strength training exercises need to keep my feet functional.
Aahh, now I understand, as in "No" stock shoe should fit your feet, yet these do. Thanks.

friendlygoz

Reaction score
This may be a little crazy in a sketchy sort of way but I just bought these Banister alligators for $47 shipped by working out a deal with the seller off the bay. He said he needed the dough for something today so he’d take $47. I did a little google stalking and he seems legit. They appear to be 9C. I’m a 9D. So this is a double risk. If they don’t work out I’m happy to pass them to a 9C thread brother. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323850890097
8272E21F-4063-4D63-83AD-BF4ADE11D1A7.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.