• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a devil of a time finding the right waxed shoe laces for these black Ferragamos. For some reason, my search-fu is weak. All I can find is 3/32", which won't even fit through the lace holes. Here it's pictured next to the white Ferragamos with the correct laces. Good and evil? Hoofed devil beside the winged angel? Anyway, I'm looking for vermicelli, not sphaghetti. Any recommendations for good thin laces?

View attachment 1196415
Cordo-hyde

thomas199023

Reaction score
I own two pair of those. (Brown and black.)

They're actually made of kangaroo, hence the unusual grain.

They're fantastic shoes and hold a shine really well, I use colored VSC on them instead of polish.

Incredibly comfy, well-made, and not too common a find. If they're your size, I recommend you keep them.

Mm.. they’re like half a size to small for me. Might try to stretch them! Never heard of kangaroo leather haha, a very interesting finish indeed.

Thanks! Also, a very interesting find here in the Netherlands. Wonder how it made it over here. Don’t think Florsheim was ever really sold here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After an initial gator band, I decided to take what I had learned and make another for my Apple watch. It was a good weekend project. But in the long run it would be cheaper to buy one. But not as fun.

561ADFAC-286B-43DA-A400-2125ECDCE9E0.jpeg

4B928760-4A39-4BD5-9C5B-4014099F72FD.jpeg

A1471410-1810-4E3C-80F1-00B038CB5AFC.jpeg

D5CDC8F3-9B98-441E-A14A-527C2FF2826A.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, first timer. I'm excited to work with some better leather. This pair was serviceable but I view them as semi-corrected and the inconsistent color of the base leather boxed me in a bit in terms of where to go with the dye.

My next pair is some AE Rutledge from the independence line, which I am about 100% sure will offer a better starting point. Probably going navy with that pair since I dont have any blue shoes. Or maybe navy with a hint of green? We'll see.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Anytime. Look forward to seeing your next creation. Good luck!

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked some of the Florsheim Duckie Brown pairs. Interesting designs. I never pulled the trigger and bought a pair though. So I can't attest to their quality. They seemed popular at the time.
I found a pair of Florsheim Duckie Brown LWBs in blue pebble grain at a thrift recently and sold them on eBay since they weren’t the right size for me. I read that they sourced their calf from Horween and I was impressed when comparing the construction and heft with my vintage Imperial Kenmoors-tight double stitching,double leather soles etc. A removable padded insole was the biggest noticeable difference maybe indicating a lack of a cork bed. They were cool,wish they had fit.
40AB24C0-7355-4041-AC46-8E79C5283CDC.jpeg
0818665B-D18E-46F5-9A10-89E5746CB3E6.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a pair of Florsheim Duckie Brown LWBs in blue pebble grain at a thrift recently and sold them on eBay since they weren’t the right size for me. I read that they sourced their calf from Horween and I was impressed when comparing the construction and heft with my vintage Imperial Kenmoors-tight double stitching,double leather soles etc. A removable padded insole was the biggest noticeable difference maybe indicating a lack of a cork bed. They were cool,wish they had fit. View attachment 1196879 View attachment 1196880
The removable footbed (and the lack of 5 nail construction) indicate they’re built off the standard MiIndia GYW Kenmoor. Though they did a nice job with uppers stitching and used better leather (like I’ve said before, the India factory can produce a quality shoe). That said, the other models, like the Saddle I looked at, was pretty sketchy.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads