• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happypebble

Reaction score
So can the expert minds here recommend a source for vintage shoes other than eBay? Nothing wrong with eBay--in fact, I'm watching several of their auctions right now--but I was wondering if I was missing something elsewhere.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open question for all you Dack wearers. Did they offer Dacks in EEE widths? Asking for a friend.

Look for their G or H width.

I am 8.5eee for most US made shoe. For Dacks and Hartt, I can do 8.5G, 8.5H, 9F, and 9G.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've become a fan of the deer bone for shell cordovan.

Some of you may remember my disaster from one month ago: Trying to hydrate a pair of Hanover shell PTBs, the leather went black and took on a very rough texture where it had been touching the plastic bag I used for giving them a sauna treatment.

20190525-01-jpg.1181475

20190525-02-jpg.1181476

After going at them with the back of a spoon and Bick 4 over the course of about 2 weeks with only moderate success, I broke down and ordered a deer bone from A Fine Pair of Shoes. It wasn't so much the cost that had prevented me from getting the bone sooner... it was the fact that, well, it's a bone.

But it works. The shoes are almost back to normal now. I'll go at them a bit more, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the leather has come back.

20190622-01.jpg

20190622-02.jpg

I also did my Florsheim 93606s. Half way through, I stopped to snap a photo. The left shoe had the deer bone treatment, and the right shoe is just Bick 4 and brushing. The deer bone really does help to smoothen out the creases.

20190622-03.jpg

My wife came by and asked what I had in my hands. When I told her it was a deer bone, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. :tongue:

Last edited:

actionjbone

Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of you may remember my disaster from one month ago: Trying to hydrate a pair of Hanover shell PTBs, the leather went black and took on a very rough texture where it had been touching the plastic bag I used for giving them a sauna treatment.

20190525-01-jpg.1181475

20190525-02-jpg.1181476

After going at them with the back of a spoon and Bick 4 over the course of about 2 weeks with only moderate success, I broke down and ordered a deer bone from A Fine Pair of Shoes. It wasn't so much the cost that had prevented me from getting the bone sooner... it was the fact that, well, it's a bone.

But it works. The shoes are almost back to normal now. I'll go at them a bit more, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the leather has come back.

View attachment 1195921

View attachment 1195922

I also did my Florsheim 93606s. Half way through, I stopped to snap a photo. The left shoe had the deer bone treatment, and the right shoe is just Bick 4 and brushing. The deer bone really does help to smoothen out the creases.

View attachment 1195923

My wife came by and asked what I had in my hands. When I told her it was a deer bone, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. :tongue:
Great stuff. I’m glad you were able to fix this PTBs. I was feeling your pain. I have a deer bone but never use it because the creases seem to come back in the first minute or so after I put the shoes on. Is your experience different?

Your wife’s reaction: seen it many times...

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20190525-01-jpg.1181475

20190525-02-jpg.1181476

View attachment 1195921

View attachment 1195922

View attachment 1195923

Glad you were able to get that black residue off those shoes - they look great now!

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff. I’m glad you were able to fix this PTBs. I was feeling your pain. I have a deer bone but never use it because the creases seem to come back in the first minute or so after I put the shoes on. Is your experience different?

Your wife’s reaction: seen it many times...

The creases come back right away, but it seems that the rough and almost gritty texture in the creases takes a bit longer to reappear.

I've only worn the shoes for a couple minutes in the entry to our place since using the deer bone. I'll give a longer term report later.

Glad you were able to get that black residue off those shoes - they look great now!

Thanks. I don't think it was residue. Rather, it was the surface of the cordovan itself that had gotten roughed up and porous.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please explain the American fascination with cordovan aka horse butt leather. Then again forgeddabboooudditt!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So can the expert minds here recommend a source for vintage shoes other than eBay? Nothing wrong with eBay--in fact, I'm watching several of their auctions right now--but I was wondering if I was missing something elsewhere.

Etsy, kijiji, poshmark, Goodwill online auction, vcleat.com list... Thrift stores are still my favourite.

Others with more time also hit up estate sales, and garage sales.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Done! Just need to figure out what to do about the sock liners since the foam stuff is disintegrating.

I actually kind of like the before as well. You cant really tell from the images but it was a really synthetic finish, which isnt the case anymore.

Those of you who have been following this for ththe last week or so likely recall that this was meant as a learning experience since I'd never done this before. In that sense it was a HUGE success for me with the bonus that I really like how they turned out.

Images below..

After:
20190622_090448.jpg

20190622_090332.jpg

Before:
20190614_184404.jpg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You think these would fit about the same as florsheim gunboats? The C width scares me a bit especially since they are balmorals.

I have two pairs of this model and I find them to run just a bit large. I can’t give a direct comparison to the gunboats because mine are a slightly different width than my gunboats.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I realize theres almost certainly variation but am I crazy to consider these if I'm a 10D brannock with a somewhat high instep. I can do a 10D or 9.5E on the AE 65 last just for common frame of reference.

I have two pairs of this model and I find them to run just a bit large. I can’t give a direct comparison to the gunboats because mine are a slightly different width than my gunboats.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize theres almost certainly variation but am I crazy to consider these if I'm a 10D brannock with a somewhat high instep. I can do a 10D or 9.5E on the AE 65 last just for common frame of reference.

Hard to say. I'm more used to 1940s-60s shoes, so that's more what I'm comparing them to in terms of fit. If they go for a reasonable price, it might be worth the gamble because you could probably resell them pretty easily. Green shoes of that era are extremely rare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads