• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question from your neighborhood newbie: how is the quality of modern made-in-India Florsheims? Are they decent or should I try to get an old made-in-USA pair, knowing that would be far more difficult? Inquiring minds want to know.

The modern day Florsheim are all garbage. No exception. Cheap materials. Cutting corners on craftsmanship. And only care about bottom line.

Some of the earliest Indian made ones are decent from early 2000s. I have a pair that I recrafted with JR soles and leave at office. There are gems to be found, and they will look very similar to the US made ones of the same era.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention @suitforcourt: NIB for $55 BIN with free shipping.
Image 6-14-19 at 9.02 PM.jpg

And then another NOS pair with box, bags and a souvenir shoe horn, also $55. Geez.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention @suitforcourt: NIB for $55 BIN with free shipping. View attachment 1192393

And then another NOS pair with box, bags and a souvenir shoe horn, also $55. Geez.

I have the second pair in my proper size of 8.5eee.

You think the first pair is shell? I guess I need some footwear to celebrate the Raptor's historic win.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my Wolverine 1000 Miles. For $120, these have very little wear. The perfect traveling boots.

@kilowatts , I am in Vancouver this week. But packed schedule otherwise would ask you to show me your thrifting haunts.

Happy Fathers Day to all the great guys out there.

Attachments

• E5A266F0-60BA-4DF1-8BE3-905F21FC280B.jpeg
    E5A266F0-60BA-4DF1-8BE3-905F21FC280B.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 19
  • B56AD6B5-95B7-4326-9440-1961AEC22C81.jpeg
    B56AD6B5-95B7-4326-9440-1961AEC22C81.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 19

happypebble

Reaction score
The modern day Florsheim are all garbage. No exception. Cheap materials. Cutting corners on craftsmanship. And only care about bottom line.

Some of the earliest Indian made ones are decent from early 2000s. I have a pair that I recrafted with JR soles and leave at office. There are gems to be found, and they will look very similar to the US made ones of the same era.
I see. In that case I will avoid the new stuff like the plague and scan eBay for something vintage. Shame that a storied brand like Florsheim had to race to the bottom.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It most certainly is allowed,however,August 26 is a Monday-we’re closed that day(as well as Sunday) P.M. me when the time gets close-perhaps a Saturday afternoon and drinks afterwards-will you be going for the Brian Setzer?
Aug 26th is just the 1 year mark. I shall find a Saturday in September to venture north. Not sure I could pull off the pompadour any more :laugh:

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Wing Week - Friday

Florsheim shortwings. No model number, possible MTO. Similar to the Linden longwing.

Fit is amazing.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190614082917175_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190614105040707_COVER.jpg
Screenshot_20190615-091815~2.png

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has a pair that is still in the lab? You want to wear them, but you can't bring yourself to do it. And why?

My NOS 93602 have not been worn by me outside the lab. My first pair of vintage shoes. They are a thing of beauty. I pull them out of the bags periodically, look at them, moisturize them, and out them back. They seem too nice to wear.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190614075201851_COVER.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed,and once again I’ve heeded your suggestion-and scooped up those AE Cambridge shells!
Fantastic! The same Etsy has some nice 9C vintage pin grain AE Strands. I own a pair and love them. I’m sure you could make an offer and combine shipping, assuming you’d want them.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see. In that case I will avoid the new stuff like the plague and scan eBay for something vintage. Shame that a storied brand like Florsheim had to race to the bottom.

I agree with suitforcourt. Just bypass the Made in India shoes. There are many of the MiUSA shoes floating around and you just have to keep at the search. There is a remarkable drop in materials and construction quality once they moved off shore. They lived off their quality reputation for many years but the product was crap.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had any confidence in sizing and I had $300 to burn, I would have tried one of their 125th collection, which now appears to be on clearance with only limited sizes remaining. They're the only modern products I've seen with a spade sole, and they're GYW/etc. The Essex veg tan boot was especially interesting, though the pattern wasn't a home-run for me.

The problem is nobody is looking to them for that kind of thing. If I recall right, the family has the brand again (or is working for whoever owns it) and they were responsible for that, but it's a shame they didn't know about this thread (the 125th was a couple years ago I think). There's enough going on in the "Heritage Brand" movement that I think there's opportunity if they do it right...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads