• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kilowatts

Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, a bit of shoe Appreciation for you tonight. I bought a pair of mystery shell PTB (Florsheim of course) from @davidVC 's watch list. The heels were shot so I sent them to Brian Gavigan in Buffalo NY to recraft. Here are some pics of the nearly completed project, and the original condition of the shoes:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/buffalo-cobbler-brian-gavigan-sole-man.642804/#post-9696943

I decided to change things up with a purple welt. Initially, Brian suggested white welt and a tan/light brown sole edge like @smfdoc 92604s. I decided against it. I wear these with suits, so the tan edge would make it too casual, relegating them to weekend and non-court days, which are few and far between.

Originally, I asked for JR soles and a topy. Brian advised against JR if I'm going to put on topy.

View attachment 1146416

View attachment 1146417

View attachment 1146418

View attachment 1146419

View attachment 1146420

View attachment 1146421
That purple welt stitch looks great—I toyed with sole replacement/contrasting welt with my “secret shell “ Leeds(also from David’s list) but settled on heel replacement. I’m always visualizing the contrast welt and Cordovan edge ever since @smfdoc posted his Kenmoors

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, a bit of shoe Appreciation for you tonight. I bought a pair of mystery shell PTB (Florsheim of course) from @davidVC 's watch list. The heels were shot so I sent them to Brian Gavigan in Buffalo NY to recraft. Here are some pics of the nearly completed project, and the original condition of the shoes:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/buffalo-cobbler-brian-gavigan-sole-man.642804/#post-9696943

I decided to change things up with a purple welt. Initially, Brian suggested white welt and a tan/light brown sole edge like @smfdoc 92604s. I decided against it. I wear these with suits, so the tan edge would make it too casual, relegating them to weekend and non-court days, which are few and far between.

Originally, I asked for JR soles and a topy. Brian advised against JR if I'm going to put on topy.

View attachment 1146416

View attachment 1146417

View attachment 1146418

View attachment 1146419

View attachment 1146420

View attachment 1146421
Those look great. I confess that I don’t understand the fuss about JR heels and soles. Is there something special about them? I put Topys on my shoes and my cobbler install Vibram rubber soles, which are super comfy and durable.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great. I confess that I don’t understand the fuss about JR heels and soles. Is there something special about them? I put Topys on my shoes and my cobbler install Vibram rubber soles, which are super comfy and durable.
Its funny, but I came to shoes from a guitar and watch collecting background, where originality is everything. I just cant bring myself to alter a shoe, even if it could save my life. I have issues.....

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I’ve read, JR soles are superior to others because of the tanning process and materials used to produce them. Kirby Allison has a video on his visit to the JR factory.

From personal experience, JR soles are much more durable. They seem to “last longer” especially when comparing against manufacturer soles.

Most reputable cobblers recommend it for dress shoes. It might come down to preference and economics. Brian’s price difference for JR vs his house leather? $50.

Is JR worth $50 more? For you to decide.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its funny, but I came to shoes from a guitar and watch collecting background, where originality is everything. I just cant bring myself to alter a shoe, even if it could save my life. I have issues.....

So you don’t recraft shoes? When heel and sole are worn out, you just toss them out?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you don’t recraft shoes? When heel and sole are worn out, you just toss them out?
If you are 9D and you toss your shoes when the original heels and soles wear out, toss them my way.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is snake skin a banned item in Japan?

Not sure about snake or other reptile skins, but I will definitely be more careful going forward.

On the US side, they have restrictions on animal skins or crocodile/caiman leather as well... so "snakeskin" probably hit a grey area somewhere:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...-travel/before-you-go/customs-and-import.html

On the note of what type of leather they are, I think @MJMcRibb and @mreams99 may be right about ostrich leg leather. I had always thought of ostrich as looking like this:
gucci-us-cuir-ostrich-ostrich-loafer-product-4-323449472-normal.jpeg

But it seems the leg actually gives this kind of texture, which matches the Florsheim loafers that went missing.

HTB1fkQWJVXXXXcWXXXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have so many shoes that I don't wear many out anymore. I had Loakes recraft my Doverdale boats this winter. I had them replace the original Dainite soles with leather. So I guess I am not consistent, but I was pissed that the Dainite had cracked and they were not truly vintage. When I do recraft I try to go as original as possible. I have thrifted shoes just to get the right vintage heel donor. I rush it on ice to my cobbler for the transplant.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, JR soles are superior to others because of the tanning process and materials used to produce them. Kirby Allison has a video on his visit to the JR factory.

From personal experience, JR soles are much more durable. They seem to “last longer” especially when comparing against manufacturer soles.

Most reputable cobblers recommend it for dress shoes. It might come down to preference and economics. Brian’s price difference for JR vs his house leather? $50.

Is JR worth $50 more? For you to decide.
Got it. I pay $20 for the vibrams; $10 for the cut Topy and sanding. I install and finish the Topy myself, which saves me $20/pair. This is a steal in Silicon Valley.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's got a almost rubber-like feel - extremely comfortable - and lasts 50% longer or more than most regular sole leathers. Considering the comfort/longevity and kicking the can that much farther on the "next" resole, I'm spending the $50 on anything I plan on wearing often. They aren't the only one that does something like that, but have the reputation for being the best. I've been mightily impressed with the longevity of the soles on my Grant Stone Ottawas - I'd consider using whoever they're sourcing from as well.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1146416

View attachment 1146417

View attachment 1146418

View attachment 1146419

View attachment 1146420

View attachment 1146421

Very nice.

I follow the Soleman on Instagram. His work is excellent.

https://www.instagram.com/solemanbuffalo/

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1146416

View attachment 1146417

View attachment 1146418

View attachment 1146419

View attachment 1146420

View attachment 1146421
Oh, no. Now I may have to get another pair of shoes.
I have never been a fan of black PTB’s. Maybe my time in the military set me against them, maybe I just think they look like security guard shoes.
And then a revelation! Colored contrasting/complementing welt stitching? Purple!!! Brown sole edges? What magic is this? Who knew such a thing was possible?
Those are stunning, sir.
Now to find a cobbler, nay a magician, capable of such feats.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selling these Florsheim Golden Harvest LWBs (93631) in 9C. PM me if you are interested. I’m a 9D. I took a chance on these to see if they’d work and they are just too narrow for my foot.
24C566C1-1DA1-4BE3-8D77-80A47F8F34C4.jpeg
C5CF911D-C7E6-4A9F-9988-8DAB44340172.jpeg
DA95231E-0E61-4E6A-8034-7384C905052B.jpeg
FAB62057-B098-40D2-961E-7A1FFF2D4995.jpeg
7DD914A2-7AB9-45E2-AF10-54E3B9AC1732.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about snake or other reptile skins, but I will definitely be more careful going forward.

On the US side, they have restrictions on animal skins or crocodile/caiman leather as well... so "snakeskin" probably hit a grey area somewhere:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...-travel/before-you-go/customs-and-import.html

On the note of what type of leather they are, I think @MJMcRibb and @mreams99 may be right about ostrich leg leather. I had always thought of ostrich as looking like this:
View attachment 1146443
But it seems the leg actually gives this kind of texture, which matches the Florsheim loafers that went missing.

View attachment 1146444
I believe that they think it’s crocodile/caiman. They should be told that it’s ostrich that was mistakenly identified as snakeskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads