1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. DapperAndy

DapperAndy Well-Known Member

I have to keep myself from buying any more "polished cobbler", as it just doesn't treat the way I like to treat, and it frustrates me every time.

Those Bostonians have a nice look to them, if you are into a more casual style. Also, if they are truly from the 60's and quality cut full-grain. But if you don't wear that style (I can't see that getting too much play in L.A.), then why even consider it? Slap the "buy button hand" that creeps up on unwearable goods. :nest:

2. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

Judging by the list of shoes in your signature, you have already amassed the greatest 13A collection of shoes the world has ever seen. But should you rest on your laurels? That's the real question. There might be someone out there seeking to take your title. It's just like Game of Thrones. Minus the Daenerys and the dragons. Winter is coming. Or is it?

3. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I always enjoy your writing style. Makes me laugh everytime. I wish more judges would write like you. It would make my job so much more enjoyable and tolerable.

4. suitforcourt

On a day with snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, and then rain, need something a little more practical.

Blundstones it is. Anyone have a vintage pair made in Australia? Or have a pair of RM William?

Stay safe, thread brothers.

IMG_20190212_102030.jpg

IMG_20190212_102041.jpg

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Tuesday forum pals. Today the rotation pulled up the rare Mason Imperial shell LWB. I have literally only seen one other pair on Ebay and the threads in the past 3 years. Very dark brown. Darker than the brown shell AE uses. I would like to get them next to the cigar color Alden uses to see what differences there are.

IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg

6. kilowatts

kilowatts Senior Member

Hi Noob:

They are actually my size but I'm trying hard to exercise some restraint!

kilowatts

7. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

Styleforum has subsequently limited the size of the signature or there would be another 15 shoes in there.

My mass accumulation is as much a reaction to spending most of my life with just a couple pairs of shoes that I had to “make due” with because almost no one made them in my size, as manufacturer after manufacturer stopped making A-widths (Bostonian, Johnston & Murphy, Sebago, etc.). Then I discovered Allen Edmonds. And then I discovered this forum and the magic of vintage shoes on eBay.

Now I’m just making up for lost time.

8. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

If he jumped on our vintage bandwagon, wouldn’t that make him the poseur?

9. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

Restraint? Restraint?!? You already have Brand New 93605s?
    Despite our wishes those shoes will never be made again. You cannot touch that quality for $500 today.

Look again at @smfdoc s shoes.
    20190212_113319.jpg
    You are saying no to GLORY. That's not restraint, that is future sadness and regret.

10. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

Another cold NorCal day so Dack’s camel skin short wings get the call.
    075486ED-C12D-47A8-858E-F78CF43C81AA.jpeg

11. Pedlar

Pedlar Well-Known Member

Those are great!

12. suitforcourt

I just don't want to be associated with the likes of Kanye. I'd rather be associated with my clients. At least they can be real with me.

13. suitforcourt

The Herbert Butler set has come back. These are the custom NOS 8.5 5e shell Florsheims that I bought. There were 5 in the lot. I could've bought 2.

Now, another seller has decided to sell his pair. Still NOS condition. I have been thinking about it everyday. 2 pairs of the same shoes???

14. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

I had some Blundstones but they didn't work for my feet. I have 2 pairs of RM Williams, both pre-LVMH. Love them, very comfortable

15. eTrojan

eTrojan Senior Member

So the Alden 975s looked a little grim when I opened the box. Shell looked to be in good shape, but seemed very grungy. Below you can see before and after: brushed to remove dust and then a quick pass with VSC on the left shoe, followed by more brushing. It's starting to look considerably better, but A LOT of color came off with the VSC, so it looks like there's a fair amount of cream/polish buildup I'll have to remove. For now, I'll probably take another round of VSC to see how much additional color is pulled before I figure out whether I want to get more aggressive. Next step is to sanitize them with cancer-in-a-can and then see how well the Barrie last fits.

A87D15BE-CEF0-4695-9E3B-EF03D45C5FB0.jpeg