1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

I could help with #3. That's my line of work, and I'm in Japan. Florsheim, hire me! ;)

I think Florsheim could actually do it if they wanted to. But rather than India, they should look to making their revival shoes in Spain (quite a few good GYW shoe makers there) or possibly a country like Hungary which carries some clout as a country with good shoemaking traditions thanks to the success of Vass. They could probably even do an OEM from Northhampton (some Japanese companies do this for house brands), but the idea of putting "Florsheim" on a pair of English shoes just feels a bit odd.

I agree that $500 to $600 would likely be the sweet spot for good construction and good quality calf leather that vintage enthusiasts would be proud of.

You can actually produce a pair of GYW shoes for under $200, but I don't know if anyone here would be impressed by the leather quality and possible corner cutting compared to our vintage shoes. Meermin has a pair of gunboats at $175. It's actually pretty tempting. Their reputation is a bit hit-or-miss... but at that price, for rainy day shoes it might be worth considering: https://www.meermin.es/in_en/10137516240000he-24-101375-chestnut-country-calf-e-titan.html

2. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

All valid points. I meant about 80% of the post as a bit of a joke (I guess smiley emojis only get you so far :-D). I definitely wasn't joking about wanting to see a boot version of the 92605!

On a more serious note: there are some interesting articles discussing how "heritage" brands have become cool again (I'll add some links at the end). But one thing almost all of them seem to have in common is: their core products have remained relatively unchanged for decades. Red Wing and Alden kept producing the same styles in the US; same with Barbour in England; Filson; Burberry; Birkenstock; etc., etc.. Obviously there are some exceptions. However, in general, all those that have successfully transitioned to "cool" have maintained an aura of "authenticity" around the brand. And in almost all cases, the initial push into that territory was completely unexpected.

I don't think anyone would disagree that we can't say the same thing about Florsheim. I was, again poorly, sort of joking about pricing Florsheim's "Best in Class" below current AEs. Putting aside sourcing and production issues, I think Florsheim's biggest challenge would be regaining the trust of the key buyers (hence the pricing penalty). And I think it would take A LOT of very strategic marketing to get anyone today to pay upwards of $1000 for a "Florsheim" shoe (which, imo, a 92605 built to 1970s standards would really be worth).

I still think it could be done. But it would be a hella lot trickier than my semi-tongue-in-cheek 4 point plan.

Cheers!
    John

Links:

https://www.refinery29.com/amp/en-us/2017/10/176215/heritage-clothing-brand-transformation-trends

https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...itage-brands-become-accidental-fashion-labels

https://www.adweek.com/brand-market...nds-turned-todays-coolest-clothes-162277/amp/

https://www.gq.com/story/new-heritage-dickies-carhartt-patagonia-style/amp

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    “Save us Kanye!” Words I never thought I would say.

4. Thomas Crown

Thomas Crown Distinguished Member

I love the idea of everyone at the Pentagon in the 60’s and 70’s wearing 92604s whether it’s true or not—what about NASA in the glory days-Blue Label Varsity in black? Perhaps they wore LB Sheppards in honor of Alan Sheppard

5. shhQuiet

shhQuiet Member

6. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

7. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

8. shhQuiet

shhQuiet Member

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know if the cracks were cosmetic or if they were going to be trouble long-term.

9. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

To me those look really good... except for the cracks around the eyelets. At least the seller was upfront about that, because a lot of people might not have noticed. And if those tears grow then you would have a big problem on your hands.
    If it were me, I'd pass on them... but I'd think about them for days, shaking my head and saying, "Too bad. Too bad."

10. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

Man, you guys are fast. ;)

11. shhQuiet

shhQuiet Member

Too bad, indeed... Thanks for your advice.

12. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

If Kanye West joins this thread, I will go back to cheap shoes. I cannot be associated with him.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Indeed

14. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

15. DapperAndy

DapperAndy Well-Known Member

I think Florsheim tried product placement back in 1974 with Chinatown, but it didn't go as planned...

:lurk: