1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

I will certainly take you up on that generous offer.

My area is pretty flush with great food choices. The recent surge of immigrants from mainland China has increased my exposure to cuisines from northern China.

Also Japanese ramen is the new fad in Canada. You know it's first world problems when one has to decide which pair of vintage shoes to wear and whether to eat Jamaican jerk or Afghan kabob for lunch.

2. suitforcourt

I have never inspected a pair myself. But my mom exclusively wore K Shoes of England and Clarks when they were still made in the jolly end of the Empire.

My mom says Clarks was comfortable and well made. She used them as her nursing shoes back when nurses had to wear white shoes. She said running, walking, and standing, were never an issue.

She can't find any modern day equivalent at the same price point.

If they are right price, consider buying and having a good cobbler recraft them.

3. suitforcourt

And afterwards you slurped down a bowl of ramen at Kintaro?

4. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

That would be amazing. I figure it’s like Luke going to Degobah to train with an extremely well dressed Yoda. The trick is to find a Saturday. I’ll text you to figure something out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM

5. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

Stay strong, my brother.

6. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

Am thinking hitting the bins with a first-timer will be like Obe Wan taking Luke to the Cantina on Mos Eisley
    tumblr_inline_nz5u1fYEI61sgm97w_500.gif
    This place can get a little rough
    HanSolo.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM

7. DapperAndy

DapperAndy Well-Known Member

They clearly aren't aware of the marketing asset they have with the "Alden Army". Building a tribe of people who follow you is one of the biggest challenges as a brand. It's what we do for "Go Natural" / "Go Pure". Silly Alden, it's already built for you.

8. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Distinguished Member

This is jumping back to the conversation from a couple of weeks ago, but it would be interesting to see Florsheim try something similar with its "Force" of vintage shoe lovers. Maybe another shot at a limited edition model, made to 1980s specs? Or some kind of collaboration with the right designer?

We've all seen how other "traditional" footwear brands have surged in popularity after showing up on the ""right" pair of feet, without the core product itself having to change. I'm thinking of Hunter boots, Birkenstock, New Balance, Red Wings, Bean Boots. Could Florsheim do the same?

9. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

But you just might find the "droids" you are looking for. Good luck and have fun when you do it!

10. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

I have done it!!!! I have unlocked the secret to be allowed to have an unlimited supply of vintage shoes. This morning my wife, unsolicited, sent me a photo of her wearing a pair of vintage Dacks Oxfords at work. I think I shall cruise the @davidVC list and pick something out for myself!!!

57157947254__FD69374D-341D-4867-B30A-AC9ED640E18F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:43 AM

11. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

12. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

Not my listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202593948858

Pair of Hanover LB Sheppard black PTBs on the bay. They look like shell to me, appear to be in good shape (seller notes a scuff mark, but I'm guessing it could possibly be buffed out), and at a fair price. I was ready to pounce on them until I saw the width was 10 C/A... too narrow for my feet. :(

13. davidVC

davidVC Senior Member

They look like Shell to me too. Can't see the model number though. I did put them on my Watchlist yesterday.

14. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

Nettleton saddle shell for a cold clear day in NorCal.
    440B7A30-ABB5-445D-917F-5ADEAEBE884A.jpeg
    Well it’s 43F but it feels colder in the shade.
    B9F3D96B-8168-4C38-968C-6D93CD92AF8E.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:41 AM

15. suitforcourt

I've never been a fan of saddles, but these are changing my mind.

It's -20 degrees Celsius here, and also colder in the shade. Tomorrow our area will be inundated with 10-20cm of snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, and more snow. I've never been to California, but I'm being pushed to the brink where every Saturday I'll be calling you about dim sum and thrifting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:47 AM