1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

The last of my pre-retirement shoe buying binge arrived today. From now on one has to go if a new is coming in (we will see). These popped up on Ebay with a very reasonable buy-it-now price, listed by a non-shoe vendor. They are S.E. Dacks, which was Dacks highest quality grade. It is very rare to find a pair of S.E Dacks, perhaps one out of several hundred or even more. They are whole cuts made from the best grade Water Buffalo, fully lined, red tagged, seven nailed, 360 Goodyear welted, 360 hand stitched, bespoke, hand benched beauties. They were listed as being a size 7, however when I opened the box i was pleased to find that they were actually 495's!! I can wear a 595, so I might stretch these a little, or just leave them alone, as I was only going to fondle them if they had actually been size 7. My first pair of S.E. Dacks. To quote Ric Flair, "Woooo!".

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

2. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

Outstanding!

3. Paul902

Paul902 Distinguished Member

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Wow, great find. Is the line of stitching around the bottom of the uppers a seam between two pieces or is it a stitch through a single piece, similar to the NST? Looks like a decorative hand stitch through a single piece of leather.

5. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

Finally catching up on the last 5-10 pages. Some wonderful shoes, loving the buffalo.

In regards to the brief AE discussion the one benefit for me is I can try before I buy. If I was a 9D instead of 9EEE it wouldn't be as much of a concern. I've tried on a number of AE lasts in 8.5-9.5 EEE and some still are just not wide enough or pinch somewhere.

For vintage it's a crapshoot it's why I'll probably only try shoes under $50 as I may have to eat the cost or at least a portion when it's resold.

I do think once I find a brand and size that works I'll pick up a few.

6. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm wearing my black Dack's kudu wholecuts today. They are fantastic.

7. Thomas Crown

Thomas Crown Distinguished Member

The significant representation of Canadians on this thread brings a whole new exposure to vintage Canadian footwear. It’s interesting to me how many Canadian products never make it down to the US and if not for this community I would know nothing about the amazing shoes and their tendency to be so heavy duty in construction and materials. Truly Gunboats! Also my interactions with people north of the border are rare so it’s another thing that’s cool about this forum,underground sidewalks,the sartorial state of the legal profession and the existence of John McHale!

8. CWOyaji

CWOyaji Distinguished Member

Canadians? How about their deity, Kijiji? Best I can make out, his earthly representative is a benign leader called Marius.
    The Canadians compete for his favor through a process called “consignment”, which I gather is a sort of prosperity gospel. One day I may linger outside a Mailboxes Etcetera location in one of our border regions and strike up a conversation with one of these Canadians on a furtive visit to retrieve shoes to be smuggled back to their country and confirm all this.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

9. CWOyaji

^^^All tongue in cheek, my friends. For what it’s worth I am of French Canadian descent myself and my sister and her family have lived in Oakville ON for more than twenty years and love it there.

10. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Thanks. It is definitely a hand stitch through the single piece of leather.

11. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Senior Member

The only problem is that they keep mis-spelling “color”...
    :hide:

12. Shoonoob

Shoonoob Senior Member

I have no Dacks. I have only been to Canada one time and that was to steal their Northern Pike.
    Today I was running around Milwaukee for work. The miUSA cg Cole Haans served me well.
    20190111_145556.jpg
    Not the pilot of the ship today so I get to catch up on the thread while we head back to Illinois.
    Lunch was spectacular. Tiny shop called Small Pie. Cuban Sammich on the right, Cherry Pie on the left. Highly recommended.
    20190111_145628.jpg
    Second time in Milwaukee this winter. Really nice people.

13. CWOyaji

Hope the sense of humour is working.

14. friendlygoz

friendlygoz Senior Member

I say we all meet up for breakfast at Tim Hortons with our vintage Canadian-made shoes. Get on board, @CWOyaji...

15. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Oakville??? I lived there during my youth! We’re basically family. And I dated a French Canadian girl in university. We are definitely family then.