• We would like welcome Enzo Custom as an official Affiliate Vendor. Specializing in custom tailored clothing, and with seven showrooms throughout the country, they are dedicated to guiding you in person through their many options to produce your perfect fitting suit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

eTrojan

Reaction score

Jiqea

Reaction score
And these NOS Frank Brothers (J&M) spade shoes.

I am headed in today to get liposuction on my feet so I can fit into these! I own a pair of Frank Brothers shoe trees, so obviously I need a pair of Frank Brothers shoes. Its only logical.

David, who would have been the likely manufacturers of these shoes?

https://ebay.to/2TNqYvh

Last edited:

Jiqea

Reaction score
The last of my pre-retirement shoe buying binge arrived today. From now on one has to go if a new is coming in (we will see). These popped up on Ebay with a very reasonable buy-it-now price, listed by a non-shoe vendor. They are S.E. Dacks, which was Dacks highest quality grade. It is very rare to find a pair of S.E Dacks, perhaps one out of several hundred or even more. They are whole cuts made from the best grade Water Buffalo, fully lined, red tagged, seven nailed, 360 Goodyear welted, 360 hand stitched, bespoke, hand benched beauties. They were listed as being a size 7, however when I opened the box i was pleased to find that they were actually 495's!! I can wear a 595, so I might stretch these a little, or just leave them alone, as I was only going to fondle them if they had actually been size 7. My first pair of S.E. Dacks. To quote Ric Flair, "Woooo!".

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last of my pre-retirement shoe buying binge arrived today. From now on one has to go if a new is coming in (we will see). These popped up on Ebay with a very reasonable buy-it-now price, listed by a non-shoe vendor. They are S.E. Dacks, which was Dacks highest quality grade. It is very rare to find a pair of S.E Dacks, perhaps one out of several hundred or even more. They are whole cuts made from the best grade Water Buffalo, fully lined, red tagged, seven nailed, 360 Goodyear welted, 360 hand stitched, bespoke, hand benched beauties. They were listed as being a size 7, however when I opened the box i was pleased to find that they were actually 495's!! I can wear a 595, so I might stretch these a little, or just leave them alone, as I was only going to fondle them if they had actually been size 7. My first pair of S.E. Dacks. To quote Ric Flair, "Woooo!".

View attachment 1104842

View attachment 1104843

View attachment 1104844
Outstanding!

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1104842

View attachment 1104843

View attachment 1104844
Wow, great find. Is the line of stitching around the bottom of the uppers a seam between two pieces or is it a stitch through a single piece, similar to the NST? Looks like a decorative hand stitch through a single piece of leather.

Genericuser1

Reaction score
Finally catching up on the last 5-10 pages. Some wonderful shoes, loving the buffalo.

In regards to the brief AE discussion the one benefit for me is I can try before I buy. If I was a 9D instead of 9EEE it wouldn't be as much of a concern. I've tried on a number of AE lasts in 8.5-9.5 EEE and some still are just not wide enough or pinch somewhere.

For vintage it's a crapshoot it's why I'll probably only try shoes under $50 as I may have to eat the cost or at least a portion when it's resold.

I do think once I find a brand and size that works I'll pick up a few.

friendlygoz

Reaction score
Or my long ones. Those spade soles are wicked.

View attachment 1104842

View attachment 1104843

View attachment 1104844
Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm wearing my black Dack's kudu wholecuts today. They are fantastic.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1104842

View attachment 1104843

View attachment 1104844
The significant representation of Canadians on this thread brings a whole new exposure to vintage Canadian footwear. It’s interesting to me how many Canadian products never make it down to the US and if not for this community I would know nothing about the amazing shoes and their tendency to be so heavy duty in construction and materials. Truly Gunboats! Also my interactions with people north of the border are rare so it’s another thing that’s cool about this forum,underground sidewalks,the sartorial state of the legal profession and the existence of John McHale!

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadians? How about their deity, Kijiji? Best I can make out, his earthly representative is a benign leader called Marius.
The Canadians compete for his favor through a process called “consignment”, which I gather is a sort of prosperity gospel. One day I may linger outside a Mailboxes Etcetera location in one of our border regions and strike up a conversation with one of these Canadians on a furtive visit to retrieve shoes to be smuggled back to their country and confirm all this.

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^All tongue in cheek, my friends. For what it’s worth I am of French Canadian descent myself and my sister and her family have lived in Oakville ON for more than twenty years and love it there.

Jiqea

Reaction score
Wow, great find. Is the line of stitching around the bottom of the uppers a seam between two pieces or is it a stitch through a single piece, similar to the NST? Looks like a decorative hand stitch through a single piece of leather.
Thanks. It is definitely a hand stitch through the single piece of leather.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The significant representation of Canadians on this thread brings a whole new exposure to vintage Canadian footwear. It’s interesting to me how many Canadian products never make it down to the US and if not for this community I would know nothing about the amazing shoes and their tendency to be so heavy duty in construction and materials. Truly Gunboats! Also my interactions with people north of the border are rare so it’s another thing that’s cool about this forum,underground sidewalks,the sartorial state of the legal profession and the existence of John McHale!
Canadians? How about their deity, Kijiji? Best I can make out, his earthly representative is a benign leader called Marius.
The Canadians compete for his favor through a process called “consignment”, which I gather is a sort of prosperity gospel. One day I may linger outside a Mailboxes Etcetera location in one of our border regions and strike up a conversation with one of these Canadians on a furtive visit to retrieve shoes to be smuggled back to their country and confirm all this.
The only problem is that they keep mis-spelling “color”...
:hide:

Shoonoob

Reaction score
I have no Dacks. I have only been to Canada one time and that was to steal their Northern Pike.
Today I was running around Milwaukee for work. The miUSA cg Cole Haans served me well.
20190111_145556.jpg

Not the pilot of the ship today so I get to catch up on the thread while we head back to Illinois.
Lunch was spectacular. Tiny shop called Small Pie. Cuban Sammich on the right, Cherry Pie on the left. Highly recommended.
20190111_145628.jpg

Second time in Milwaukee this winter. Really nice people.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.