• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing my Florsheim 93606 PTBs on an overcast San Francisco morning.

AHS
Wow, what a great patina. And to get that kind of shine on an overcast day is amazing. Great shoes.

Last edited:

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my Florsheim 93606 PTBs on an overcast San Francisco morning.

AHS

I would love to obtain a pair of these. Are they on the same last as the 93605?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

I would love to obtain a pair of these. Are they on the same last as the 93605?

In all my reading, I have yet to hear any discussion of Florsheim using different lasts during that time period. I would expect them to be the same. Perhaps David from the vcleat.com will weigh in on lasts used at that time.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In all my reading, I have yet to hear any discussion of Florsheim using different lasts during that time period. I would expect them to be the same. Perhaps David from the vcleat.com will weigh in on lasts used at that time.

That is my understanding, as well.

Once caveat, however, is that I have come across specific pairs that fit differently than others of the exact same model. Twice I purchased longwings in a size 11 C (my typical fit in vintage Florsheims) that felt narrower / smaller, like a 10.5 C or 11 B. One possibility is that they came out of the factory this way: the shoes were (mostly?) handmade and there could be some slight variation on any given pair. I guess another possibility is that the leather tightened over the decades?

Allen Dreadmon, what size are you?

AHS

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been building up my collection / rotation of vintage Florsheims. Here are the highlights...

93605 #8 shell longwing. My favorite.

93606 #8 shell PTB

96624 black calf longwing. At the bottom of the rotation, but I had to have a pair of black longwings.

32601 #8 shell PTB. According to our resident scholar, David at vcleat.com, these are from 1958.

93631 golden harvest calf longwing. Check out the original box.

93230 #8 shell Yuma loafer. Paid more $$ than I would normally shell (ha!) out for vintage shoes, but I rationalized that I might never see this model again in my size.

Thanks for indulging me and my awful iPhone photos.

AHS

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been building up my collection / rotation of vintage Florsheims. Here are the highlights...

93605 #8 shell longwing. My favorite.

93606 #8 shell PTB

96624 black calf longwing. At the bottom of the rotation, but I had to have a pair of black longwings.

32601 #8 shell PTB. According to our resident scholar, David at vcleat.com, these are from 1958.

93631 golden harvest calf longwing. Check out the original box.

93230 #8 shell Yuma loafer. Paid more $$ than I would normally shell (ha!) out for vintage shoes, but I rationalized that I might never see this model again in my size.

Thanks for indulging me and my awful iPhone photos.

AHS

Those are great and you were right about the Yuma. Those are pretty rare and those are a great pair.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are a 10.5C, I have two Florsheim Imperials that need a new home. The first is the brown long wing 93602 and the second is the 93606 shell plain toe blucher. Both are 5 nail soles with a V cleat heel. Nice additions to anyone building a few vintage shoes into their collection. PM me if interested.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is my understanding, as well.

Once caveat, however, is that I have come across specific pairs that fit differently than others of the exact same model. Twice I purchased longwings in a size 11 C (my typical fit in vintage Florsheims) that felt narrower / smaller, like a 10.5 C or 11 B. One possibility is that they came out of the factory this way: the shoes were (mostly?) handmade and there could be some slight variation on any given pair. I guess another possibility is that the leather tightened over the decades?

Allen Dreadmon, what size are you?

AHS

I am a 9C but would also consider 8.5D.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edwin Clapp 1940s/50s New Englanders in black.

Like DFW says when the leather dries out pas a certain point you can't get it back. Hence the surface cracking on the vamps But underneath is is sound.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Edwin Clapp 1940s/50s New Englanders in black.

Like DFW says when the leather dries out pas a certain point you can't get it back. Hence the surface cracking on the vamps But underneath is is sound.

Actually, when the leather gets to that point, the best thing to do is stop wearing them. It may look solid underneath but believe me it's only a matter of degree and continued flexing will only exacerbate the problem until the cracks open up entirely.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually, when the leather gets to that point, the best thing to do is stop wearing them. It may look solid underneath but believe me it's only a matter of degree and continued flexing will only exacerbate the problem until the cracks open up entirely.

Saying all that DWFII these are more like a surface horizontal delaminating than a deep into the body leather vertical crack - like the Prince Charles variety.

I have some other shoes that have a similar but not so advanced problem and I have worn and continue to wear them for years.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not bad for 70+ years old these Crosby Squares spades!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not bad for 70+ years old these Crosby Squares spades!

I do like many of your other shoes, but those are just stunning. I especially like the double row of contrast stitching on the welt up front.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One occasionally runs across a vintage item connected with our favorite brand of shoes. In this case it is an Alden travel shoe shine kit. This item was made in Italy and uses crocodile on the lid. It appears to contain a horse hair brush, a tube of shoe cream, application brush and a shoe horn. I am surprised that the brushes appear to be lower in quality with widely spaced bristles. But this may have been created as something to just get a man through a trip and back home where the shoes can be properly maintained. I have no idea when this item was created or its distribution. I think the $166 being asked by the Ebay seller is optimistic, but to a diehard Alden guy it may be just the ticket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics