Vintage Cole Haan cap toe shoes: made by Grenson or Cheaney?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lucky13, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 New Member

I was just checking out a pair of Cole Haan cap toe shoes on ebay and was wondering about the seller's claim. (Not a fan of Cole Haan's but the seller included "Allen Edmonds" in his description so they popped up on my search.) The seller claims "This vintage pair of shoes dating from the 1990s was made in England by Grenson, for the American firm Cole Haan".

Some notes about the shoes:
    • Signature on the sole reads "Cole Haan" and below that "Benchmade in England"
    • Style number is 10836

From my research here on SF as well on AAAC I've seen a number of folks post that Cheaney made shoes for Cole Haan for a time. However, I've never heard about Grenson making Cole Haans. Anyway, just curious if anyone knows the story behind Cole Haan's benchmade shoes, as well as how to identify who made them. I have no need to waste money on Cole Haans but if these truly are made by Cheaney or Grenson I might throw in a bid. Thanks!

2. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Bet Onyx knows this.

3. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

4. Verrihappy

Verrihappy Senior member

10836 is a Cheaney Last #.

5. Lucky13

Lucky13 New Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Ended up not putting a bid in; at $90 starting price figured it wasn't worth it.