• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anwenofash

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently considered buying a vintage Burberry trench second hand and I was wondering if these two are even real?

One of them has a tag that says: "Burberrys Made In England"? I know the whole deal with the company being Burberrys before '98, but I have never seen that with "made in England" under it.

For the other, it says "Burberrys London New York Paris" and also has initials sewn into it below that? Was this custom?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Attachments

• b1.jpeg
    b1.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 833
  • b2.jpeg
    b2.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 814
  • b3.jpeg
    b3.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 713
  • b4.jpeg
    b4.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 721
  • b5.jpeg
    b5.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 726
  • b6.jpeg
    b6.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 699
  • b7.jpeg
    b7.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 862
  • v1.jpeg
    v1.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 860
  • v2.jpeg
    v2.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 849
  • v4.jpeg
    v4.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 2,330
  • v3.jpeg
    v3.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 2,355

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both look real to me, but certainly vintage.

there’s nothing unusual about the “made in England” under the label on the second tag.

As to the first, it could be exclusive to a particular retailer but not sure. The embroidery on the label is clean and spot on. Usually with fakes, the label looks like ****.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Embroidered label is most likely customized or from a specific retailer. Tags look clean and correct, PRORSUM is clear, the knight's details are spot on. Lining is more or less lined up although not clear from the pics posted, ask the seller for pics of the coat laying flat and opened all the way to see how the patterns are aligned. Buttons and button bag look legit. The white tag with the order number makes it almost assuredly legit and vintage. I have never seen a fake with one of those although they might exist. Personally I would ask for photos of the leather on the buckles of the belt and sleeves as well.

The second tag also seems good, quotations around the name, copyright symbols, clear details, MiE.

Burberry's went through a ton of slight tweaks to their logos as well as retailer-specific offerings that came with various names and initials embroidered. Cheap replicas will not have the same level of detail on the label - they will usually be blurry and off. The white tag is another good sign, as is pattern matching in the lining and general quality.

anwenofash

Reaction score
Oh cool! Any idea how much something like this would be worth? (the 2nd coat)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads