• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage burberrys coat, missing belt, should i have one made.

Should i Go through with this alteration of the trench coat?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

951socal2012

Reaction score
I have a vintage burberrys coat, it is a few inches too long for my liking (mid calf)
and it's missing the belt.

Should i have a cloth belt (like those seen on cheaper/newer trench coats) out of the spare fabric from the bottom of the coat.

a tailor quoted me $30 to do this.

the inside of the belt will retain the nova check, and the outer portion will match the coat.

Or is it a waste of money?
i keep seeing fit pictures of people wearing old burberrys trench coats and they always seem awkward. and the coat (burberrys, as in not christopher bailey's burberry prorsum/burberry london etc lines) is from an era when the brand wasn't a luxury quite yet.

would i be better off sinking the $30 into an H&M slim fitting coat?
i live in socal so it's not too rainy out

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find that no-one has replied because it's a pointless question and not worth starting a thread for - there's a thread specifically for small questions. Basically, it's entirely up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. If you like the coat and it suits your style and your wardrobe, do it, if you don't and it doesn't, don't.

Last edited:

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried going to Burberry? I'm sure they can get a belt for you.

951socal2012

Reaction score
Have you tried going to Burberry? I'm sure they can get a belt for you.

i have, they said they no longer carry something in this fabric.
i said i didn't mind if it was off a hue or so, or maybe even just a black one, but no go
they didn't want to sell me one

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$30 sounds like a decent price. the buckle is found at a fabric stoire or tailor supply store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads