• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Burberry Trench, is it real?

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
Hello all! I have recently purchased a vintage Burberry trench second hand and I was wondering if it is real? It is a 100% wool one with the removable liner. Thanks! ;)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the liner is wool, there should be another fabric label underneath somewhere.

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
But what about the not-so even stitching around the Burberry tag and the front buttons? They don't seem to be even to me.

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
Also what about the tag that says: "Burberrys of London"? I know the whole deal with the company being Burberrys before '98, but I have never seem the "of London" tag.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be inclined to say real, too. But I'm surprised by the lack of a gun patch on the right shoulder. I'm not familiar with the current design of Burberry's trench coat, but all the versions I'm familiar with have a flap on the right shoulder, to take the wear and tear of shouldering a gun or rifle. That difference could be because either it's not a genuine Burberry or because the design of the coat has changed in the last 30 years to eliminate this detail. If the latter, I would also say that the coat does not, in fact, seem terribly vintage. Which, I suppose, depends on one's definition of vintage.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My coat is from the mid-1980s. Here's a picture of the label and also of the gun patch on the right shoulder that yours appears to be missing:

Like the one you have, mine is the cotton/poly version. The difference between that version (which was pushed by salespeople back then as better in cooler climes--no idea why) can be seen in the different throat latch and in the pass-through pockets. On the all-cotton version, the pockets are covered by a forward-facing flap. On these cotton/poly versions, it is a simple slash pocket secured by a button.

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
I see. Also what about the "of London" tag? I personally shopping around have not seen this on any of the other tags.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. Also what about the "of London" tag? I personally shopping around have not seen this on any of the other tags.

Can't help there. As I said, I've not looked closely at a modern Burberry label. It's possible that it now reads "of London". If there is a Burberry near you, it might be worth taking a look at what's hanging on their racks.

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
I also noticed my coat seems to have a single piece of material in the check lining, where as yours looks like two pieces of material that meet in the center like I have seen on real ones.

GLBizzarro

Reaction score
Okay. I am officially calling this one a fake. Thanks everyone for their help!

Last edited:

CristiT

Reaction score
Hey. Your coat is 100% genuin. Is says Burberrys of London because it was made in USA under licence. At that time Burberrys made trench coats in England, in USA and in Spain. And not all trench coats have gun flaps. Trust me, I got 7 Burberrys trench coats and I know. By the way, no trench coat had a single piece of material in the check lining. I ll give you a couple of pictures. Best regards

burberrys 2.jpg

CristiT

Reaction score
Hey. Your coat is 100% genuin. Is says Burberrys of London because it was made in USA under licence. At that time Burberrys made trench coats in England, in USA and in Spain. And not all trench coats have gun flaps. Trust me, I got 7 Burberrys trench coats and I know. By the way, no trench coat had a single piece of material in the check lining. I ll give you a couple of pictures. Best regards

View attachment 791298

mnm.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads