1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Vintage Burberry Trench, is it real?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GLBizzarro, Dec 26, 2016.

1. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

Hello all! I have recently purchased a vintage Burberry trench second hand and I was wondering if it is real? It is a 100% wool one with the removable liner. Thanks! ;)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

the liner is wool, there should be another fabric label underneath somewhere.

3. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

Do you think that this example is real?

4. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

5. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior Member

6. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

But what about the not-so even stitching around the Burberry tag and the front buttons? They don't seem to be even to me.

7. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

Also what about the tag that says: "Burberrys of London"? I know the whole deal with the company being Burberrys before '98, but I have never seem the "of London" tag.

8. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

I'd be inclined to say real, too. But I'm surprised by the lack of a gun patch on the right shoulder. I'm not familiar with the current design of Burberry's trench coat, but all the versions I'm familiar with have a flap on the right shoulder, to take the wear and tear of shouldering a gun or rifle. That difference could be because either it's not a genuine Burberry or because the design of the coat has changed in the last 30 years to eliminate this detail. If the latter, I would also say that the coat does not, in fact, seem terribly vintage. Which, I suppose, depends on one's definition of vintage.

9. Andy57

My coat is from the mid-1980s. Here's a picture of the label and also of the gun patch on the right shoulder that yours appears to be missing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like the one you have, mine is the cotton/poly version. The difference between that version (which was pushed by salespeople back then as better in cooler climes--no idea why) can be seen in the different throat latch and in the pass-through pockets. On the all-cotton version, the pockets are covered by a forward-facing flap. On these cotton/poly versions, it is a simple slash pocket secured by a button.

10. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

I see. Also what about the "of London" tag? I personally shopping around have not seen this on any of the other tags.

11. Andy57

Can't help there. As I said, I've not looked closely at a modern Burberry label. It's possible that it now reads "of London". If there is a Burberry near you, it might be worth taking a look at what's hanging on their racks.

12. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

I also noticed my coat seems to have a single piece of material in the check lining, where as yours looks like two pieces of material that meet in the center like I have seen on real ones.

13. GLBizzarro

GLBizzarro Member

Okay. I am officially calling this one a fake. Thanks everyone for their help!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

14. CristiT

CristiT New Member

Hey. Your coat is 100% genuin. Is says Burberrys of London because it was made in USA under licence. At that time Burberrys made trench coats in England, in USA and in Spain. And not all trench coats have gun flaps. Trust me, I got 7 Burberrys trench coats and I know. By the way, no trench coat had a single piece of material in the check lining. I ll give you a couple of pictures. Best regards

burberrys 2.jpg

15. CristiT

CristiT New Member

mnm.jpg