• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 1930's Tuxedo

Buster Lundh

Reaction score
Hi!

A couple of days ago I bought a vintage tuxedo on ebay, all the measurements were right and so. When it comes, I'll take it to a tailor to get it altered. The tuxedo is black has peaked grosgrain lapels, and SB. Now I wonder even if I have it altered will I look dated? I feel that the tuxedo hasn't changed very much, though I like the little wider lapels.

Last edited:

carpu65

Reaction score
Is a pretty classic dinner jacket.
The only thing that could be "dated is the trouser's widht (but not alter it too much tight).
This is a bespoke dinner jacket of today cut by Liverano & Liverano.
As you see is not much different.

Another modern, cut by Anderson & Sheppard:

Forget the skinny ready to wear things of today,look to the bespoke silhouette for dinner jacket (tuxedo).

deadAngle

Reaction score
You will not look dated. Don't bother getting the trousers tapered, moving the ribbon on the seam is more hassle than it's worth and the heavier fabric will drape really well.

Last edited:

carpu65

Reaction score
Yes,i agree.

You have a vest to match with your dinner jacket?
Some time ago Brooks Brothers sold good evening vests separate.
If don't find a vest,buy a cummerbund in grosgrain.
Avoid a diplomatic collar shirt; use a Turndown Collar evening Shirt for a more contemporary touch (better if a piquè plain bosom).

Last edited:

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Yes,i agree.

You have a vest to match with your dinner jacket?
Some time ago Brooks Brothers sold good evening vests separate.
If don't find a vest,buy a cummerbund in grosgrain.
Avoid a diplomatic collar shirt; use a Turndown Collar evening Shirt for a more contemporary touch (better if a piquè plain bosom).
BB still does sell the vest in a barathea fabric - it's where I got mine. Reviews suggest it fits a bit short, which may be the case (or pants are too low), but it does have a trouser button on the inside front which you can use to keep the bottom edge in place and worked perfectly well for me. I also discovered that the buttons on the BB vest are removeable and can be replaced with studs.

Ede and Ravenscroft in the UK has one with a U-shaped front, full back, and grosgrain lapel. The U-shape may be more in keeping with the period of the OP's vintage tuxedo, if he is inclined to that level of detail. I think it would look very smart with the subtle curve to the lapels on the jacket he has. The sharper V of the BB vest would be a little more incongruous with that shape, though these are subtle points of style and not overly noticeable, especially with the jacket buttoned.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will look very dated amongst 'ordinary' mortals.

carpu65

Reaction score
Not more that the others classic bespoke dinner jacket (as see in the photos).

Last edited:

Buster Lundh

Reaction score
Will the difference between the jacket and vest look odd, or will there most likely be no difference in the fabric?

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
There will probably be a difference, but not one noticeable enough to be concerned about. Your jacket isn't typically supposed to be unbuttoned anyway, so anyone who is looking that closely had better have bought you a drink first :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads