1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vineyard Vines!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by HarrisonK, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

still waiting for OP to make his presence felt again, lurking in the shadows

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

...peasant revolutionaries came up with the trouser (although noted British dandy Beau Brummell popularized it), jeans were carried around the world by sailors, miners and stevedores transform the top half of the union suit into the t-shirt, and so on.

Reginald, could you, or anyone, recommend a good history of -type book on the subject? Sort of a hidden why we wear what we wear kind of affair?

3. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

Reginald, could you, or anyone, recommend a good history of -type book on the subject? Sort of a hidden why we wear what we wear kind of affair?

No idea dude. I basically just randomly google things when I feel like being less ignorant.

4. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I think there is some understating of the influence of the rich, as aristocratic styles have always been aped. That said, peasant revolutionaries came up with the trouser (although noted British dandy Beau Brummell popularized it), jeans were carried around the world by sailors, miners and stevedores transform the top half of the union suit into the t-shirt, and so on.
    pants (really, knit ones) might have been invented before peasants existed. they were definitely popular among germanic "barbarian" tribes that attacked rome because romans wrote about them. unless you're talking about the wool type of pants people wear today in which case i know nothing.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

In his autobiography The Kid Stays In the Picture, producer Robert Evans reveals how his brother's company, Evan-Picone, convinced a nation of women to start wearing pants. (At first it must have seemed as weird as men wearing dresses...)

Now I don't know about you, but it's just that kind of renegade spirit I see in Vineyard Vines.

6. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Senior member

still waiting for OP to make his presence felt again, lurking in the shadows

I have no idea what to say, I'm not following all this drama and fighting. I'm waiting for the rest of Vineyard Vines' new line to come out before I chime back in to get more opinions, but as of now, I'm bored with their winter line.

From the little drama I have read, don't you all fit into the category of lower middle class trying to buy nice things so you appear closer to the upper middle class? Do any of you own atleast 1 home without a mortgage?

This fight here is about old and new money, societal class, and how the rest of the world perceives you. If you are broke but want nice clothes, say it. Dont try to be someone you aren't by posting extravagant things you don't have on forums like this one.

I'm typing from my iPhone so once I get to my computer I'll edit/fix/add to this post.

7. jet

jet Senior member

8. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

actually im broke but i want garbage clothes that fit poorly

so ill buy some vineyard vines great thread a+++

9. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

What is it you find boring about their winter line? I find the execution rather clever.

10. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Senior member

What is it you find boring about their winter line? I find the execution rather clever.

I am bored with the line, meaning, its been out for to long and I'm excited to see what they will be releasing for the S/S.

Mr./Ms. Jet, I think Michael Jackson was as confused as you are/were so good job. [​IMG]

11. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

shit i hope their s/s line has some more harrisonk oversized dad steez

12. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Last year I took some old ass VV pants I had from highschool, one yellow pair and one light blue pair, and took them to my tailor and had them turned into shorts with the same measurements as my WWM ranger shorts.

$40 later I had some decent shorts for the summer, so I can't complain.

13. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I have no idea what to say, I'm not following all this drama and fighting. I'm waiting for the rest of Vineyard Vines' new line to come out before I chime back in to get more opinions, but as of now, I'm bored with their winter line. From the little drama I have read, don't you all fit into the category of lower middle class trying to buy nice things so you appear closer to the upper middle class? Do any of you own atleast 1 home without a mortgage? This fight here is about old and new money, societal class, and how the rest of the world perceives you. If you are broke but want nice clothes, say it. Dont try to be someone you aren't by posting extravagant things you don't have on forums like this one. I'm typing from my iPhone so once I get to my computer I'll edit/fix/add to this post.
    thanks harrisonk for blessing us with your presents. cause i didnt give a shit bout your presence. rain s-goods down on me homie! bless us peasants who can't afford vineyard vines oh upper middle class god!

14. jet

jet Senior member

harrison = kermit in a suit?

or ironic troll?

15. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

pants (really, knit ones) might have been invented before peasants existed. they were definitely popular among germanic "barbarian" tribes that attacked rome because romans wrote about them. unless you're talking about the wool type of pants people wear today in which case i know nothing.

I'm thinking the "modern" trouser, with like waistbands and hems (however primitive), and not, say, wrapped leggings (which usually weren't trousers as we know because of stuff like the separate crotch piece). From what I understand, ankle-length pants were worn by peasants during the French Revolutionary period as a way to mark a difference between them and the aristos, who usually rocked knee-length britches.

I could easily be wrong though, I'm not an expert on this.

16. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Senior member

or ironic troll?

I'm not trolling, I'm simply defending my own name/furthing the convocation at hand.

Are you a troll for posting your opinions?

17. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

or ironic troll?

[​IMG]

pretty accurate actually

18. tween_spirit

no it's gotta be the one i posted in WAYWT with the david byrne suit when kermit sings Once in a Lifetime!!!!!

19. DLester

DLester Senior member

From the little drama I have read, don't you all fit into the category of lower middle class trying to buy nice things so you appear closer to the upper middle class?

No. This forum is about appreciating design, not class aspiration. If we were as you describe, we would all buy clothes with Gucci and LV logos plastered across them. That kind of clothing is ridiculed here.

Maybe class aspiration is why you buy clothes. Which is why you dress like shit.

Do any of you own atleast 1 home without a mortgage?

I have no idea, but owning a home w/o a mortgage is not indicative of wealth. Plenty of lower middle class people own their homes w/o mortgage.

20. tween_spirit

And plenty of wealthy people maintain debts such as mortages (since they're such low rates of interest) to free up their money for more lucrative investments!