• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vineyard Vines Murray Shirt - Any VV fans?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Got this fine oxford cloth shirt from an outlet for $32 with tax included tonight.

Fairly well made for a $100 dress shirt. Fits me well. Comfy cotton.

I'm finding that Vineyard Vines can offer some good value for the dollar. Our local Filenes has some inventory for dirt cheap as well.

Anyone else out there like the brand?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one of my very favorite shirts is a VV murray in a burgundy ("bloody mary" according to VV) mini-houndstooth (gingham according to VV). I like the murray because, unlike the other VVs i see at FB, there is no whale on the chest pocket. Just a really great shirt, solidly made, nice buttons, best rolling BD collar I own (not saying much, but I like it). On a steep discount, it's a brand with lots to offer. Be forewarned, however, that the sizes run really large. I got the small murray, and I'm a 40/41 chest w/ a 35 Waist. My dad, a 6'3" 44L who sports quite the pot-belly, found their sz. 17 dress shirt to be way too blousy (probably the first clothing item I've ever known him to return to Filenes Basement)

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they steal, the toggery ?

coachvu

Reaction score
I tried on one of their shirts at TJ Maxx, and I was very impressed by the construction and fabric quality. Definitely too expensive at full price but great on sale. Unfortunately, it didn't fit.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried it on i did in the basement of Filenes. While she said the price was right, the price twas too much to pay for a shirt who said it was 33 or 34.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They make a good product. My aunt's roommate throughout undergrad ended up marrying one of VV's founders (Shep something, I forget his last name), and she gets a few boxes full of free stuff for her daughters every year.

Alistair

Reaction score
I got a decent deal on a 2-ply/100s spread collar VV shirt. It's a very comfortable to shirt to wear, nice fabric, and the cut is pretty good, too (for me). I just wish they came in a wider range of colors. And with all the options available on STP and Bluefly, I couldn't ever pay full retail.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think it is nicely easy to find VV on sale. We had several places in Atlanta selling the polos for $30-40 down from $60+ full retail. Filene's had a nice stock in this week which almost made up for the lack of 16.5 Borrellis.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I think it is nicely easy to find VV on sale. We had several places in Atlanta selling the polos for $30-40 down from $60+ full retail. Filene's had a nice stock in this week which almost made up for the lack of 16.5 Borrellis.

Does Filenes carry "seconds" only merchandise?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
If you mean irregular mfr then no. Everything I saw was original quality.

bearbones11

Reaction score
Oddly, prices on ebay are mainly higher than what y'all are mentioning here...

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
If you mean irregular mfr then no. Everything I saw was original quality.

No, I mean everything is marred from the retail store. For some reason I was under the impression that everything at Filenes basement had gotten damaged at the retail store (Like Barneys) and that's why it gets shipped to Filene's Basement.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
No, I mean everything is marred from the retail store. For some reason I was under the impression that everything at Filenes basement had gotten damaged at the retail store (Like Barneys) and that's why it gets shipped to Filene's Basement.

man oh man are you ever wrong about that. To be sure, there's stuff there that has battle-scars from spending months on successive mark-down racks, but most stuff is first-quality. Have you really never been?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads