• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinegars

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh chefs and cooking enthusiasts of Styleforum, please school me on the wide world of vinegars. I have quite a few but I've never really known what to look for before and am generally not thrilled with most of the ones I have. So I ask of you:

What are the essential and most useful types?

What are good brands?

Any other interesting info I should know about them?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I always keep:

-Heinz white vinegar (use more often to clean household things than actually consume, but once in awhile, like for poaching eggs)
-Sherry vinegar
-rice wine vinegar, Japanese and then Korean made from genmai in double strength
-balsamico (never use)
-apple cider vinegar sometimes

I'll spend good money on the Sherry vinegar and a better Japanese rice vinegar, the rest can be cheap. Had I not OD'd on balsamico I can see myself spending $30-50 a bottle on the stuff too.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sherry, champagne, rice, apple cider, plain (also mainly utility), white wine, tarragon. homemade red wine -- this is so easy and it is so much better than what is available commercially i'm astonished more people don't do it. just use a sun tea jar from the grocery store fill it up with cheap fruity red wine ... add a mother i bought off ebay and some water and 6 weeks later there's amazing vinegar. it really makes you realize how awful commercial vinegars are.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sherry, champagne, rice, apple cider, plain (also mainly utility), white wine, tarragon. homemade red wine -- this is so easy and it is so much better than what is available commercially i'm astonished more people don't do it. just use a sun tea jar from the grocery store fill it up with cheap fruity red wine ... add a mother i bought off ebay and some water and 6 weeks later there's amazing vinegar. it really makes you realize how awful commercial vinegars are.

If you have a couple ounces in the bottom of a bottle you aren't going to finish, can you just toss it in there and it'll turn to vinegar as well?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you have a couple ounces in the bottom of a bottle you aren't going to finish, can you just toss it in there and it'll turn to vinegar as well?
You need to make (or buy) a mother first. I actually don't like homemade vinegar that is made in glass bottles. In wood, it is great.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you used to be able to find unpasteurized wine vinegars and you could start from that. i haven't found any in a while, so last time i started a new batch i had to buy the mother. very inexpensive. and yes, when i have wine left in the bottle after a dinner, it goes into the vinegar barrel.
Originally Posted by iammatt
You need to make (or buy) a mother first. I actually don't like homemade vinegar that is made in glass bottles. In wood, it is great.
this puzzles me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I never got your full report on when you tried. I remember you being rather apathetic about it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never got your full report on when you tried. I remember you being rather apathetic about it.
I got tired of making it. I can find pretty good vinegar here, and I really use much more sherry vinegar than anything else, which I cannot make. I don't know why i prefer wood to glass, but I do know that those acquaintances whose vinegar I have tasted and who use wood make better vinegar than those who use glass. It is based on a highly scientific study of about six people, so take it for what (very) little it is worth.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this puzzles me.
+
eh.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like I need to upgrade my sherry vinegar selection. Any recommendations for a specific kind?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Seems like I need to upgrade my sherry vinegar selection. Any recommendations for a specific kind?

My current favorite is Don Bruno. By far the best I've found here and less than $5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads