• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viking/le creuset

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi... I don't really know much about decent cookware.

I just went ahead and bought a 9" frying pan from viking, but their non-stick version. I know that's some type of culinary sacrilege but I certainly don't need to be using too much oil at this point. I enjoy great ingredients but I really try to keep it as healthy as possible. My question is, can one still brown some meat in this pan, then stick it in the oven? I am not sure if the non-stick surface will accept that.

I am also wondering about the 5 qt Le Creuset french oven, if one can put it in the dishwasher? If I cook something onto it and it won't come off, will I damage the inside by really scrubbing at it? I don't want to ruin it obviously.

Thanks a lot, I'd appreciate any advice.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with non-stick for applications where you don't care about browning or fond. Eggs, fish, etc, are much better off non-stick. However you will not get a decent piece of browned meat out of it. Go for cast-iron-- same thing that is under the enamel of the Le Creuset-- but you can get a 10 or 12" Lodge cast iron pan for under $30. When seasoned it will work like non-stick but will also brown meat and develop fond if needed (when done on higher heat, less oil).

I would also avoid going over 350 degrees in an oven with any sort of non-stick surface as it will release fumes.

I wouldn't put a Le Creuset in a dishwasher but I assume it is dishwasher safe. They are very easy to handwash. If you cook something that is tough to remove just soak it in hot water and soap for an hour and it will slide right off.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that preheating a Le Creuset pan and then lightly oiling it makes for a better egg fryer than our nonstick pans. I agree- no nonstick in the oven. The heat distribution of Le Creuset is very good- almost as even as copper ( and much more durable). Although we've put them in the dishwasher, it'd be better to hand wash them.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well tag along the same topic...

Does anyone use any of the newer Le Creuset imitators like Batali's line? I prefer Emile Henry over LC but I've seen the Batali ovens on sale for under $90 lately.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use All Clad stainless... you can do just about anything in them well. I do have a cast iron skillet and a nonstick pan or 2.

ragdoll

Reaction score
I have all clad but the BEST is cast iron (in my case from Lodge). Lasts forever and is very cheap. There was a nice article about it in the NYT recently.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking to experiment with cast-iron, Marshalls seems to always have a decent selection of Lodge.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My mother has a lot of Le Creuset, which I cook on when I visit. I don't think it browns nearly as well as plain stainless All Clad. However, it is excellent for braising.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Hi... I don't really know much about decent cookware.

I just went ahead and bought a 9" frying pan from viking, but their non-stick version. I know that's some type of culinary sacrilege but I certainly don't need to be using too much oil at this point. I enjoy great ingredients but I really try to keep it as healthy as possible. My question is, can one still brown some meat in this pan, then stick it in the oven? I am not sure if the non-stick surface will accept that.

I am also wondering about the 5 qt Le Creuset french oven, if one can put it in the dishwasher? If I cook something onto it and it won't come off, will I damage the inside by really scrubbing at it? I don't want to ruin it obviously.

Thanks a lot, I'd appreciate any advice.

I wouldn't put a non-stick pan in the oven over 350 degrees. The non-stick coating might fume. For the same reason, you're not really supposed to brown things on non-stick surfaces. The fumes reportedly kill birds, and might give humans temporary flu-like symptoms. Nobody knows exactly how toxic the fumes are, but in the abundance of caution, I'd follow the usage instructions. Keep the non-stick for medium/low heat stuff, e.g. eggs, etc.

The porcelain coating over the Le Creuset seems to be pretty durable. I wouldn't worry about damaging it with scrubbing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Le Creuset surfaces will scratch. It doesn't make them unusable, but less pretty.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm returning the non-stick and will get the regular one.

How long does it usually take to season them, and how do I clean then after use for the best effect? I'f you've cooked with onion or other things which like to stick, do you scrub a bit? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going on Iron chef so I don't need anything rediculous... is a Wustoff Santoku ok for cutting vegetables? I will also buy an 8" for meat.

What do you guys use your different knives for? It's looking to me like I'll just have to see what works better for different cases. Right now it looks like I'll get a traditional Chef's knife, a Santoku (because I know the scallopped ones work very well with tomatos and onions), a smaller vegetable knife for julliening (sp...) peppers and things like that... maybe I'll need a deboning knife, but I'll probably have to take a technique class on it because I could see myself completely ******* it up. Anything else that you guys find quite necessary for simpler, mainly meditarranean type cooking?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Stainless does not need to be seasoned like aluminum.

Whatever fat you use to cook (butter, oil, faux butter, etc), get it hot before you start to cook. The more you use, the less sticking you will experience. But (of course) use too much and the food gets soggy and does not brown as well. Browning meat on high heat with scant oil can produce magnificent results, but will "spot" the edges of the pan with dried on flecks of oil. I have found that All Clad cleans up well -- there is no stain you can't get off. But some of them require real effort.

Also, forget about the shiney finish. Cleaning instructions that come with the pans are predicated on the notion that you want to preserve the out-of-the-box finish. But this is impossible if you want to actually clean your pots.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For knives, I find that I use a pretty wide array. An 8" chef's is essential. (You could also get 10"; I don't have one, but it might be cool.) This is a chopping knife. For chopping, you need the weight, the length, and the curvature to get a nice rocking motion. I don't see the need for one of these AND a santoku knife.

Chef's knives are too thick to be good slicers. For that, I use an 8" slicer. To get (say) really thin onion slices, this is essential. This knife can also be used as a carver. But if you want to go nuts, get a true round tip carving knife with a hollowed out (granton) edge.

For tomatoes and very soft fruits and veggies, you need a small serrated knife. For bread, a big long serrated knife.

I like to have a paring knife and boning knife as well. The boning knife in particular is useful for trimming the fat and silverskin off roasts and chops.

And, just because, a 6" utlity knife, which is nice for tasks a little too precise for the chef's knife and a little too tough for the slicer.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Also, forget about the shiney finish. Cleaning instructions that come withe pans are predicated on the notion that you want to preserve the out-of-the-box finish. But this is impossible if you want to actually clean your pots.
i think this is the best advice. if you want really pristine cookware - buy copper, leave it hanging up and have your maid ceaselessly polish it. if you use your pans they will look used . also, don't put nonstick cookware in the oven. you will end up with really slippery autistic children

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads