1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

view on Alden long wingtips - calfskin or cordovan?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ennius, Sep 20, 2012.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Spit shine your LWB? What's next? Wearing pocket square on your denim jackets?

+1

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

You may not need an E width in this particular shoe, unless you are saying you have tried it on and know you need a 10.5E. I wear a 10.5E in some of the narrower-lasted Alden shoes, but a 10D in their LWB's and other Barrie-lasted Aldens.

I am a happy customer of Alden/Madison, FWIW.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I prefer shell in #8.

4. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

thanks for all the comments and info.

Looks like I am off to the Madison Alden store for the #8 longwings and let them tell me what my right sizing is.

5. reggieburris

reggieburris New Member

Although this post is old, I wanted to chime in. I have 4 pairs of Alden shell cordovan (3 #8 and 1 black) and 4 pairs of Alden calfskin shoes. All of them are of equal quality. I personally cannot shine the shells any better than the calfskins but my shoeshine guys can. It takes them a short time to shine the shells and the shine last much longer. Overall Alden shoes are a bit bulkier and haven't changed much in decades but they are well built throwbacks. I love my AEs and Crockett & Jones but my Alden's are special.