• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

view on Alden long wingtips - calfskin or cordovan?

Ennius

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to get my first Alden shoes and want the black long wingtips. I am trying to decide between the calfskin and the cordovan. Cordovan is about $150 more. Is this extra $$ worth it in terms of look and durability and comfort?

Thanks

Ennius

Reaction score
thanks - any color on the differences?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the model--yes.

For me personally, I think that model looks best in suede.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, although I prefer long wings in burgundy. Shell is worth 150 in any case though.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not #8 instead of black?

wumingde

Reaction score
Cordovan would be a better investment. Go with the general consensus.

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
I am enamored with the Alden cordovan PTBs I bought earlier this year, and comparing cordovan to calf, the former comes out far ahead. My only other input is that I prefer admiring the ripples in cordovan on less complicated (plainer) shoes, though this does not seem to be a widely held view on SF.

Edit: I also forgot to say that #8 is a great, rich color, which you should consider if it is acceptable in your environment

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
Thanks for the useful advice and opinions.

The color #8 looks very nice. I can certainly do that, too, as I work in a business casual environment. A couple questions:

(1) How do you think of the Black cordovan versus the #8 cordovan? Different uses, looks? I have become a fan of the Thom Browne look and figured I needed a black longwing but no need to be too doctrinaire.

(2) I live in NYC. Any thoughts on where to shop for Alden? I have heard the Alden store near Grand Central doesnt always have good customer service.

Thanks again.

erpet

Reaction score
The black cordovan shoes I have seen have not had the kind of shine I think black shoes should have (the "spit and polish" kind), so I think cordovan is better suited for non-black shoes.

axroox

Reaction score
My first Alden shoes were black shell lwb. Within a few weeks of that purchase, I picked up a pair of #8 lwb's. You really can't go wrong with either -- both are classic staple items, and with minimal care you will enjoy them for many years to come. Personally, I would give a slight edge to #8 over black-- as others have noted, it is a beautiful, rich color that is extremely versatile. Whatever you do, make sure that you are fit properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads