1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnamese Cuisine.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 24, 2008.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

If you don't mind venturing out to Flushing, Phobang is pretty good.

Edit: apparently they also have a location in Little Italy.

My favorite Pho place closed a year or two ago. It was a hole in the wall 2 doors down from the Burger King on Canal. You had to go to one of those places that sold luggage and jewelry, and walk all the way to the back. They had a kitchen next to luggage but the Pho was excellent.

I go to Pho Bang now, but only b/c I haven't found some where better.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Slanted Door is fusion, but the chef/owner is Vietnamese and Vietnamese food is the foundation, as it were. It's a concept restaurant, and Phan is something of a celebrity chef, and celebrity chefs these days scoff at doing traditional cuisine from any country. They have to add their own twist.

As mentioned earlier, the Tenderloin has a lot of Vietnamese dives. There are also some in the Mission, which is where Slanted Door started.

And, did I mention, it's really goooooooooood.

My favorite place in SF was in the Richmond district. I'd go with my Vietnamese friends who took care of the owner's dad while he was in the hospital. We'd get excellent service and fantastic food.

3. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

wow, how could i have missed the vietnamese cuisine thread?!?!! i'm chinese, grew up eating chinese food, like chinese food, but on any given day, if you asked me whether i wanted to eat chinese or vietnamese, 9 times out of 10 i'd say vietnamese. in fact i still remember that the first time i ate vietnamese food was after watching Batman (Keaton).

if it's lunch, i go with the sandwiches. dinner is usually pho or bun. Pho 79 in Alhambra is my go to place.

-Jeff

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Living no great distance from "Little Saigon" in Orange County, count me in as another big fan of Vietnamese cuisine.

I like just about all Asian cuisines though. I'm happy with Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Cambodian...you name it.

Not much experience with Korean food, though, despite having lived in Koreatown for a number of years. I've never found an Indonesian restaurant in SoCal that could come close to the good Indonesian food I ate during my stays in Holland, however. I still have fond memories of that after the passage of many years.

5. Ant restaurant

Ant restaurant New Member

Mmmm....pho with extra beef balls please. My ex's parents used to cook this for lunch all the time. Those were the days...
    Ants Restaurant
    143 Nghi Tam, Tây Ho Dist., Hanoi
    Tel: 04. 6297 2021/ 09783 99983 (Ms. Thuy Anh)/ www.quankien.com

Ants restaurant - A restaurant with unique liquors and delectable food- "˜Let's get drunk!'

A restaurant owns modern Hanoian's drinking and dining combination style. Ants restaurant attracts gourmands with a range of traditional Vietnamese liquors and a variety of foods for drinking, which Ants had to seek from different regions in Vietnam.

At Ants restaurant, you could enjoy special liquors which are 100% natural and do not contain any artificial additives or flavoring. Fruit liquors at Ants restaurant are quite interesting to enjoy, including: Huong pagoda's apricots liquor, Can Tho province's lime liquor, Tu Le's Rose Apple liquor, especially, in the 2011 summer, Ants Restaurant will meet its gourmands' expectations with Dalat passion-fruit liquor.
    Traditional Vietnamese cereals liquors bring you an exciting shock: Mường Khương corn liquor, herbal liquor, Bắc Giang province's rice liquor, Nếp Cái Hoa Và ng sticky rice liquor. It is more exciting to drink some the special liquor with Ants's dishes for drinking, such as roasted locusts, fried chicken cartilage, Tay Bac smoked sausage, H'mong liquor-steamed chicken, wild vegetables and herbs, as well as traditional hotpots such as field crab hot pot, "˜gion' fish hot pot. Ants restaurant's menu includes 100 dishes for drinking, which are chosen by Ants restaurant's owners on their trips to various regions nationwide.

Ants Restaurant
    143 Nghi Tam, Tây Ho Dist., Hanoi
    Tel: 04. 6297 2021/ 09783 99983 (Ms. Thuy Anh)/ www.quankien.com

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I hope NYC gets some decent pho by the time I get there again. It'd be a shame for that city to not have at least one place that makes a good bowl, but from what I've seen and read on the internet, it doesn't appear so at present.

7. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

This may sound odd. But there is Pho to be had in my parts of the world. Lantern in CH,NC just won a JBeard award. Their Pho is good. As well there are two nice spots in Durham that may suit the needs, but certainly for less cash.

8. impolyt_one

There's good pho in random spots that people wouldn't think of. It obviously depends on where vietnamese people live, but since the catholic churches sponsored many Vietnamese people to come to the US in the '70's and then kinda let them loose, there are enclaves all over the US. The Midwest is dotted with Viet enclaves with good food, Kansas City might be the strongest after Southern California and southern Texas.

As far as ethnic food goes, Viet food can be a strong-showing ethnic cuisine when it comes to remote locations. There are obviously a couple specific herbs like thai basil and optionally ngo gai (growable at home and/or also shared amongst a few ethnicities) and spices (same) that go into really good, well-made and presented pho, but the backbone of the soup is plain beef bones or chicken, and the pho noodles, fish and chili sauces, are dry goods. Other dishes beyond pho are the same story. A lot of Asian food is like this actually, 90% can be bought at a local wal-mart and the rest is special stuff that is like 2 fresh herbs and a few dry goods from an ethnic store, the only reason it ever shows badly is if the target market isn't their own ethnicity.

9. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

There's good pho in random spots that people wouldn't think of. It obviously depends on where vietnamese people live, but since the catholic churches sponsored many Vietnamese people to come to the US in the '70's and then kinda let them loose, there are enclaves all over the US. The Midwest is dotted with Viet enclaves with good food, Kansas City might be the strongest after Southern California and southern Texas. As far as ethnic food goes, Viet food can be a strong-showing ethnic cuisine when it comes to remote locations. There are obviously a couple specific herbs like thai basil and optionally ngo gai (growable at home and/or also shared amongst a few ethnicities) and spices (same) that go into really good, well-made and presented pho, but the backbone of the soup is plain beef bones or chicken, and the pho noodles, fish and chili sauces, are dry goods. Other dishes beyond pho are the same story. A lot of Asian food is like this actually, 90% can be bought at a local wal-mart and the rest is special stuff that is like 2 fresh herbs and a few dry goods from an ethnic store, the only reason it ever shows badly is if the target market isn't their own ethnicity.
    Agree completely. No experience making it outside my kitchen, however the freshest herbs always do it. For me anyways, as does presentation, quantity. And the environs. Always the environs. Hopefully authentic, not necessarily a plastic seat on the side Of the road, although they're nice too.

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Going to Hanoi in two days.

Gonna eat.

11. impolyt_one

12. impolyt_one

13. Canvas08

Canvas08 Well-Known Member

apparently they don't have good mexican food either. still want to visit there soon but can't imagine living there since mexican food and vietnamese food is like 65% of my diet

14. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

don't forget northern VA. the amount of viet people there...they have some PRIME spots...philly aint bad either. I think if I drive my car back east I'll drop by the midwest, have yet to explore

15. Lel

Lel Senior member

Had some Pho is Paris. Dunno' how locally rated it was but there was quite a line outside, though it was a small place. It was pretty meh. Not bad, not great, slightly less than good really. I expected better, or at least a more interesting French take.

16. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

What do people here think of the Pho Hoa chain? One just opened up here.

17. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

There was a great viet place next to GSU that doesn't have a website but there was this dish of pork, it was diced IIRC and two fried eggs were on top. Anyone know what that might be?

18. Pinhas

Pinhas Senior member

My local place have a very similar dish; they just call it their house spacial in English, but the Viet name is Com Viet Huong

19. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I don't know what more of a french take they could take? they're already using all the shitty parts of the cow the french didn't use.

20. dablyputs

dablyputs New Member

I see people have mentioned The Slanted Door but you should check out Tu Lan on 6th st in San Francisco.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011