Vietnamese Cuisine.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 24, 2008.

1. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

meh....after five years...it gets boring [​IMG]

just back from Hanoi - generally I dont like northern Vietnamese food (take southern, remove taste) - although I did have some really good bun cha yesterday.

bun cha is the best in the north. the southern stuff, i could eat the rest of my life, actually have been. i'm assuming you have been to pho pasteur? that was my fav place in saigon

the only thing i have grown out of is the coffee. the condensed milk is much too sweet for my liking now

2. poly800rock

Hue food is gooooooood.

there is one dish particular to hoi an I found really tasty. don't recall the name now, will dig through that

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

Vietnamese food is excellent.

Unfortunately most the items you find in restaurants, Vietnamese people don't actually eat on a regular basis, except for pho perhaps.

Well, most people usually don't eat family-style when they go to Vietnamese restaurants. You can definitely have an authentic Vietnamese meal if you know what to order. If not, just leave it to a knowledgeable waiter for recommendations. At least, it should have a meat or fish dish, a vegetable dish, and a soup.

Pho can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any time in between. If a restaurant is particularly known for its broth, people will even order that and use it as a soup for their dinner meal.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i'm assuming you have been to pho pasteur? that was my fav place in saigon

You mean Pho Hoa on Pasteur Street? Yah, Ive been there, it kind of went downhill. Personally I think the best place in town is Pho Phu Vuong on Le Van Sy Street in Phu Nhuan. It is on the way out toward the airport, so if you come through again, give it a try.

there is one dish particular to hoi an I found really tasty. don't recall the name now, will dig through that

Despite being in the same neck of the woods, Hoi An/Danang food is really different to Hue food, but at a guess I would say you either had Cao Lau or My Quang

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Aside from beef pho, I also like the chicken pho.

I don't care for the sprouts, mint leaves and sauces some people add, however.

6. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I enjoy Vietnamese food, but good Vietnamese restaurants are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I have to drive to Chinatown or drive to "Little Saigon" in Orange County to get good/decent Vietnamese food. When I'm in Honolulu, there are several that I go to and are excellent.

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I eat pho all the time in the fall and winter time in Houston. It's too hot for me to eat in the spring and summer in Houston.

Pho places open and close all the time here in Houston since it's so competitive with a boat load of pho places here (probably over 150 stores at least).

8. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

What are some good Vietnamese restaurants around San Jose? I know of the King/MacLaughlin, King/Tully areas, but don't really have the time to go sample all of the places.

I'm looking for some good bun bo hue, com tom (crushed rice dish with pork chop and egg meatloaf?), REAL banh mi thit (not Lee's, though sometimes it is really good), and bun cha. Thanks!

9. Lel

Lel Senior member

Well, most people usually don't eat family-style when they go to Vietnamese restaurants. You can definitely have an authentic Vietnamese meal if you know what to order. If not, just leave it to a knowledgeable waiter for recommendations. At least, it should have a meat or fish dish, a vegetable dish, and a soup.

Pho can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any time in between. If a restaurant is particularly known for its broth, people will even order that and use it as a soup for their dinner meal.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm Vietnamese and most meals were plain and consisted of rice, lean meat, and vegetables in some way. It's nothing like the exotic well prepared cuisines that constantly consist of tropical greens in every bite, grilled meats and such. I speaking out of bitterness, though.

10. poly800rock

What are some good Vietnamese restaurants around San Jose? I know of the King/MacLaughlin, King/Tully areas, but don't really have the time to go sample all of the places.

I'm looking for some good bun bo hue, com tom (crushed rice dish with pork chop and egg meatloaf?), REAL banh mi thit (not Lee's, though sometimes it is really good), and bun cha. Thanks!

isn't san jose chock full of viets

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm Vietnamese and most meals were plain and consisted of rice, lean meat, and vegetables in some way. It's nothing like the exotic well prepared cuisines that constantly consist of tropical greens in every bite, grilled meats and such. I speaking out of bitterness, though.

yeah, and a lot of fish too

11. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

My mom makes amazing pho, the best part is, we're not actually Vietnamese.

12. whacked

whacked Senior member

It varies a bit depending on income level, lifestyle, and geographic location. But generally, I'd agree with this.

yeah, and a lot of fish too

We eat fish all the time. [​IMG]

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Many Vietnamese places also sell imported French goods and victuals such as assorted baked goods, cookies and items as diverse as Instant Potato Au Gratin, French Onion Soup and condensed milk.

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

Cafe Sua Da aka Vietnamese coffee is utterly sublime and I wonder if it's a solely Vietnamese thing or if I can get it in places outside of Vietnamese restaurants, perhaps french cafes?

15. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Senior member

You mean Pho Hoa on Pasteur Street? Yah, Ive been there, it kind of went downhill. Personally I think the best place in town is Pho Phu Vuong on Le Van Sy Street in Phu Nhuan. It is on the way out toward the airport, so if you come through again, give it a try.

Despite being in the same neck of the woods, Hoi An/Danang food is really different to Hue food, but at a guess I would say you either had Cao Lau or My Quang

Isn't there a Pho Hoa and a Pho Pasteur right next to each other on Pasteur Street in HCMC? I remember passing by them just a few months ago and thought it was funny because the two big pho chains in Boston are Pho Hoa and Pho Pasteur. Also HCMC has a Pho 2000, which we also have in Boston.