1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vienna Holtzgenagelt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the.chikor, Dec 30, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

what was the price of the first pair of monk strap boots?

2. Tudor

Tudor Member

Is the pattern of the toe a Scientology symbol?

lol no [​IMG]
    it's my own design

could you give me a link to the symbol that my medallion reminded you of?-just out of curiosity[​IMG]

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

nice. reminds me of a santoni last.

"We" have been knighted. [​IMG]

4. janne melkersson

janne melkersson Senior member

the.chikor congrats on a beautiful pair of boots! Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship. This method is used in the bootmaking trade in the US where many makers still are sewing and pegging the waist. Here is a link to how Austin boot maker Lee Miller are doing it http://customcowboybootsandshoesforu...tml?1194381978 Janne Melkersson ps shown in the photo is another method used when sewing the upper leather to the insole i.e. look at the heel area.

5. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

the.chikor
    congrats on a beautiful pair of boots!

Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship.

Janne Melkersson

Janne,
    Thanks for the compliments and the link. I do find the art of shoemaking absolutely facinating! If I knew of this when I was a kid-I would have definately pursued this instead of my current profession! I had a lengthy discussion with Maftei about this technique and the materials used. They assured me that the quality was every bit as good as the sewn welt. They further reassured me that if I was not completely satisfied, at any time they would be happy to put a sewn welted sole on the shoe. The fit is the same to me as the regular sewn welt, so I am extremely happy with my purchase. I have no reservations about ordering another pair with the same pegged style of attachment.
    the.chikor[​IMG]

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

my first bespoke at Maftei

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7278/p1000795eo4.jpg
    http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8665/p1000796jb6.jpg
    http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/619/p1000797uk5.jpg
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2884/p1000800fx7.jpg
    http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3308/p1000803ky0.jpg

Tudor, well i for one am not a double monk fan, but putting that aside and talking about the importat things, the shoes. overall they look nice i like the last shape too! quite contempory looking even more so with you medalion.

is there a seam on the heel? i can not clearly on my monitor, or is it just 2 peices?

enjoy them![​IMG]

7. sebastophoros

sebastophoros Member

Tudor, they are very nice.
    Would you complete the gallery by adding a pic fof the sole ?

8. Tudor

Tudor Member

Tudor, they are very nice.
    Would you complete the gallery by adding a pic fof the sole ?

my camera is broke...these pics were taken by a friend....but he sole is standard leather sole type with metal toes. Very similar to the one the.chikor has but mine is sewn welted and without the rubber on the heel. Nevertheless in future shoe galleries I will include pics of the sole aswell.
    I should buy a new camera but I atm I prefer to spend the money on other mafteis[​IMG] [​IMG]

is there a seam on the heel? i can not clearly on my monitor, or is it just 2 peices?

yes, there is a seam ending at the top with a square shape (my suggestion)

PS
    Tuder
    edit please...name incorrect [​IMG]

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Just want to add some curiosity about pegged footwear. In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship.

I have a "Slatin Pasha" with Goyserer welt and a pegged sole from Maftei. I'll show the details in my upcoming story about my personal shoe history with a focus on Austrian-Hungarian shoe tradition.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

In the "old" days when the method was common the maker did sew the upper and lining leather through the insole. They had to sew it because the didn't had cement that could hold it together. I don't know how Maftei do it but it is sure a great workman ship.
    Accept an answer from a non professional. Yes, they do sew the upper and lining through the insole. I've been told that this is good for the stability and of course it is in the tradition of skillful workmanship. Here is a another example from Lattanzi: holzgenagelt in combination with a elaborate welt.

11. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Accept an answer from a non professional.

I don't know how accurate this statment is?[​IMG]

12. janne melkersson

janne melkersson Senior member

Fritzl,
    thank you for the info about how Maftei are doing it!
    I am looking forward to see your story about the Austrian-Hungarian shoe tradition.
    Janne

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I am looking forward to see your story about the Austrian-Hungarian shoe tradition.
    Janne

This Ouch made me overthink the whole story. Luk-cha was so kind and encouraged me. He said: "Chin up, keep swinging", so here we go again.

"My" report will be released at the end of February(personal deadline).

Meanwhile a snapshot from a Maftei shoe:
    [​IMG]

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Could you please say something about Maftei vs StCrispins.
    Having found out I can get some G&G for tha same amount as SC.
    I think the "RTW" from G&G is quite stunning, so this is a option for me.
    But the SC have some options that a RTW does not offer.
    So now for some info on Maftei please?

Speed

15. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

Speed

I was originally going to go with SC. However, after talking with fritzl, I opted for Maftei-I am glad that I did. If you tell them or show them what you want, they will do exactly what you want. You will not be disappointed; not that you will be disappointed with SC, either. Plus, the price is much more affordable with Maftei![​IMG] Also, the fit is great and they are very accomodating when flying in. For example-do you need to meet them at 10pm? Not a problem for Maftei-don't even think about with many other makers. I have never met someone so accomodating and willingness to reach perfection as Maftei. If you are not satisfied, they will remake the shoe to your satisfaction (as long as you are not taking advantage of them.)

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

No. Because I have never seen a St. Crispin's in person. The fact that my family is from Siebenbürgen and my grandfather was a famous shoemaker, does not qualify me either. From what I have seen in pictures, methinks they are great shoes.

Having found out I can get some G&G for tha same amount as SC.
    I think the "RTW" from G&G is quite stunning, so this is a option for me.
    But the SC have some options that a RTW does not offer.

As the.chikor pointed already out. If you are willing to travel, coming to Vienna, or attend one of their measurement days in Germany, using a metapher, you'll be treated like a king.

SF member tudor got measured by them and he was served to his satisfaction.(see below) ;-)

Methinks, G&G is a different beast to Maftei. But, it is a vice versa situation. Depending on your own style, all three of them are superb in their own way.

17. Tudor

Tudor Member

SF member tudor did his order on a long-distance-bespoke basis(self measurement) and he was served to his satisfaction.

that's not true ....they camed and measured me at my home [​IMG]
    so once again [​IMG] to Maftei

18. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

that's not true ....they camed and measured me at my home [​IMG]

How many of them? [​IMG]

19. Tudor

Tudor Member

How many of them? [​IMG]

my lips are sealed[​IMG]