• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There’s a point imo, from story telling perspective I would rate it over BG2.

Problem was graphics and item stacking etc some ease of use issues. BG.EE fixed most of that. If you have original version I would use BGT mod + mod that allows jewel/arrow/etc stacking.

I don't PC game anymore so no mods, but I read/heard BG2 was better than 1 in every way. If the stories are separate and not linked, I may just skip 1.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as MMOs go....I don't get them. I have been trying to get into ESO for a while now, if for any reason at this point, to get some value out of the drunken purchase of 75 dollars worth of in-game currency from 2017. It just seems boring but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't PC game anymore so no mods, but I read/heard BG2 was better than 1 in every way. If the stories are separate and not linked, I may just skip 1.

Stories are linked and 2 happens just after 1, also some characters migrate from 1 to 2. I would not skip it.

To me BG1 was better than BG2 but they are both great games. I liked it more, mostly because you just begin to explore the story and strength of foes. Immersion was better for me in BG1. BG2 has superior design, graphics, more levels, more monsters, more classes etc.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have an Xbox? If so my gamertag is Leo Trollstoy hit me up

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well looks like BG is not available on Xbone yet, but, I bet my Thinkpad can run it.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well looks like BG is not available on Xbone yet, but, I bet my Thinkpad can run it.

Not sure but I think Enhanced Editions are, but I think any working Laptop can run BG1 and BG2 these days.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yikes, enhanced editions are coming out in October, but will cost 50 bucks for both games. I think I may just get a discounted PC version.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as MMOs go....I don't get them. I have been trying to get into ESO for a while now, if for any reason at this point, to get some value out of the drunken purchase of 75 dollars worth of in-game currency from 2017. It just seems boring but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV with a buddy who moved away as a way to hang out.

It is a very story driven MMO which makes it kind of different. The main story quest is mandatory for progression and takes quite a long time. Story is generally pretty good so far and I'm, about to start the expansion that is supposed to have one of the best storylines.

Unlike WoW where you are just hopping between quests and dungeons for loot and experience, FFXIV mostly feels like you are playing a single player RPG, except there are a bunch of other people roaming around, real people in town, a real economy, etc. I mostly play in a 2-person party, but the only time you actually have to join up with other people is in 4-person dungeons and 8-person boss fights--and there's a real good party finder for that.

Also, the classes are all fairly versatile. I play a healer, but even then I spend a lot of time in boss fights doing damage and I have zero problem soloing content. That's pretty different from original WoW where a full healing-specced priest in the mid-late game can barely kill anything and you never get to attack anything in dungeons.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is there any point playing Baldur's Gate 1 or don't bother and start with 2? Not that my Bioware backlog isn't massive already. I still need to play Jade Empire and KOTOR

Just play KOTOR already.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Also, the classes are all fairly versatile. I play a healer, but even then I spend a lot of time in boss fights doing damage and I have zero problem soloing content. That's pretty different from original WoW where a full healing-specced priest in the mid-late game can barely kill anything and you never get to attack anything in dungeons.

There was a time when a shadow priest melted faces pretty well but I agree with what you're saying. The way classes morphed overtime in both EQ and WoW was interesting and WoW was way more extreme than EQ. With WoW it was interesting how it felt like the devs had a taste for a given class and they'd be way OP only to be nerfed or morphed. When DKs came out they were so OP it wasn't funny. I was an MT with my DK for that expac and they were nearly indestructible. My last MT was a pally and he rocked the house at that time. When I left in 2/12 it was right at the time that expac came out where the end boss fight was that raid on the back of a flying dragon (can't remember the name.)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks otc, but I never really liked the Final Fantasy series, at all.

I'm excited to play KOTOR but I have Witcher 3 DLC to finish up first. Actually I was going to play Red Dead Redemption 1 and then KOTOR next.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a time when a shadow priest melted faces pretty well but I agree with what you're saying. The way classes morphed overtime in both EQ and WoW was interesting and WoW was way more extreme than EQ. With WoW it was interesting how it felt like the devs had a taste for a given class and they'd be way OP only to be nerfed or morphed. When DKs came out they were so OP it wasn't funny. I was an MT with my DK for that expac and they were nearly indestructible. My last MT was a pally and he rocked the house at that time. When I left in 2/12 it was right at the time that expac came out where the end boss fight was that raid on the back of a flying dragon (can't remember the name.)

I was a full-time shadow priest player...so my solo work was fine. I could heal well enough for any instances and I never really did any classic wow endgame content (never got to experience the full 40 man raid). But when I briefly dabbled in Holy specs, it was like all of the power was sucked out. Sure your healing was better...but oof...if you were a skilled healer you only really needed that for endgame content.

Thanks otc, but I never really liked the Final Fantasy series, at all.

I'm excited to play KOTOR but I have Witcher 3 DLC to finish up first. Actually I was going to play Red Dead Redemption 1 and then KOTOR next.

Well, the combat is nothing like final fantasy. It does have your standard FF character cameos, but I've only ever played through FF5, so I only recognize the big ones (like Cid and his airships). Combat isn't turn based like normal FF games...it is actually quite dynamic. Mixture of spells/abilities that go off when you hit the button and longer spells with casting times. Movement and positioning is important mid-fight.

Not full on action-RPG like a zelda or diablo, but more active and action-oriented than something like a KOTOR or Neverwinter Nights. Closest I have played is probably Guild Wars 2, although GW2 has far fewer skills and more focus on things like combos.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Those 40 man raids sucked, and again, it goes back to my beef about easy leveling allowing players not seasoned enough into the end game. It was not uncommon to get a Leeeeeeroy or two if your guild had to grab people to fill the raid.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gears 5, pretty great IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads