Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Yeah, Dragon Age is the entire reason that I haven't picked up Demon's Souls. While a great deal more roguelike, I only have time for so many dungeon crawlers. Same reason I want to support Torchlight but can't bring myself to drop the $20.

I've also been a 'world-first' type of person ('run' an RP guild in WoW)... how are the towns and environments in Dragon Age? Is it completely linear or is there exploration and a decent story, etc? I can barely stand reviews lately (mainly because I seem to be stuck pounding them out myself), so've avoided pretty much any in-depth info.

I really want Shattered Horizon, but don't have the supercomputer to run it on.

2. horndog

horndog Senior member

DA:O is a very good single player RPG. I wouldn't call it revolutionary but it's excellent if you're looking for a wonderful story driven timesink.

Speaking of timesinks, how's WoW these days jon? I used to be a world-first type dude too but the WoW grind got to me, and the e-fame of being #1 on a WoW server lost its luster real quick.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

DA:O is a very good single player RPG. I wouldn't call it revolutionary but it's excellent if you're looking for a wonderful story driven timesink.

Speaking of timesinks, how's WoW these days jon? I used to be a world-first type dude too but the WoW grind got to me, and the e-fame of being #1 on a WoW server lost its luster real quick.

I bowed out of WoW, yet again, just before the intro of new content this spring. The thought of a fight in motorized tanks to get to the dungeon was too much. I have to say, I really enjoyed tanking on my DK in the end game dungeons though.

I just tried Aion, which sucked. Any new would-be WoW killers?

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Anyone peel themselves away from COD?

5. Lel

Lel Senior member

Anyone peel themselves away from COD?

I can't believe they actually put in a tactical nuke in the game. I think half the things I always joked about what Modern Warfare 2 should have ended up in the game, even before I knew it existed.

But yes, awesome, everything is awesome. Will be playing it later after school, luckily no school tomorrow.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Wow, I can't believe it. Mauro doesnt like the game....What a fucking newb.

We will be playing tonight btw. If anyone wants to join us send me a PM with your gamertag.

BTW

This game is so amazing I cant get over it. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that I have to wait to get to level 19 so I can play hardcore modes again.

So far I have called in Predator missles, attack helicopters, I've been a gunner on another helicopter, set up a sentry gun, and have been killed by my own care packages (twice). Oh and how about the silenced shotguns?!!?! I cut down a few people with my silenced SPAS last night. What a pleasure! I do miss my ak-47 though [​IMG].

7. Helix

Helix Senior member

Wow, I can't believe it. Mauro doesnt like the game....What a fucking newb.

We will be playing tonight btw. If anyone wants to join us send me a PM with your gamertag.

BTW

This game is so amazing I cant get over it. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that I have to wait to get to level 19 so I can play hardcore modes again.

So far I have called in Predator missles, attack helicopters, I've been a gunner on another helicopter, set up a sentry gun, and have been killed by my own care packages (twice). Oh and how about the silenced shotguns?!!?! I cut down a few people with my silenced SPAS last night. What a pleasure! I do miss my ak-47 though [​IMG].

[​IMG]

8. tor

tor Senior member

I bowed out of WoW, yet again, just before the intro of new content this spring. The thought of a fight in motorized tanks to get to the dungeon was too much. I have to say, I really enjoyed tanking on my DK in the end game dungeons though.

I just tried Aion, which sucked. Any new would-be WoW killers?

There's a game called Blade n' Soul. I'm not sure when there's going to be released, not to mention released in NA. But look it up on youtube. It is ridiculous. Graphics intensive though.

I can't wait to get MW: 2 though...ughhh, I wish I had less things to spend money on. Watches are my kryptonite. [​IMG]

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I couldn't be less excited about MW2... and I've played plenty of COD4. I just don't understand the hype for what I see as a bland war shooter that basically has two functions - Aim down sights + Fire (okay, I also press Triangle from time to time to drop my special ability).

It's just mindless action to me. The only reason I'd play it is for single player, and at 6 hours for the campaign, I ain't payin $10 an hour to play a game in my own home.

Fighting games and RTSs, I can get into for multiplayer because they're strategically very deep. Shooters are just.. meh.

10. Helix

Helix Senior member

Am now thoroughly addicted to Dragon Age and spending way too much time with my Dwarf Rogue of stabby goodness.

11. breakz

breakz Senior member

Fighting games and RTSs, I can get into for multiplayer because they're strategically very deep. Shooters are just.. meh.

I'd argue otherwise about shooters.

CoD 4 is a game with rhythm and flow, and if playing in a clan is anything like clan play in CounterStrike (which I was a part of; not in CoD though), then there's a good mix of strategy and skill involved. It sucks that CoD 4 draws the frat dudes & gaming assholes in, b/c it's a well-rounded MP experience with a long learning curve.

The strategy in RPGs (aside from the Persona series, which you enjoy but I've never played) generally operates as an advanced version of paper-rock-scissors. I can't touch Final Fantasy anymore because (i) the plot is always terrible, and (ii) fire-ice-lightning is just overworked. FFXII was different but that game was too expansive for my taste.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

There's a game called Blade n' Soul. I'm not sure when there's going to be released, not to mention released in NA. But look it up on youtube. It is ridiculous. Graphics intensive though.

I can't wait to get MW: 2 though...ughhh, I wish I had less things to spend money on. Watches are my kryptonite. [​IMG]

Blade does look interesting.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

I couldn't be less excited about MW2... and I've played plenty of COD4. I just don't understand the hype for what I see as a bland war shooter that basically has two functions - Aim down sights + Fire (okay, I also press Triangle from time to time to drop my special ability).

It's just mindless action to me. The only reason I'd play it is for single player, and at 6 hours for the campaign, I ain't payin $10 an hour to play a game in my own home.

If you don't like shooters as a genre, then you probably shouldn't expect anything from a shooter. Bu if you think that Modern Warfare multiplayer is all about aiming down the sights and firing, then you're obviously ignoring a HUGE portion of the multiplayer aspect in the customization of attachments, perks and combining them, customizing and calling in Kill Streaks, that all really add an extra dimension of depth in the strategy(many of which are small, subtle aspects of gameplay that you only see after playing for a long time). All those things I mentioned alone are, IMO, what makes Modern Warfare more than a generic shooter where you really just run, shoot, and throw grenades (*COUGHHALOCOUGH*).

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'd argue otherwise about shooters.

CoD 4 is a game with rhythm and flow, and if playing in a clan is anything like clan play in CounterStrike (which I was a part of; not in CoD though), then there's a good mix of strategy and skill involved. It sucks that CoD 4 draws the frat dudes & gaming assholes in, b/c it's a well-rounded MP experience with a long learning curve.

The strategy in RPGs (aside from the Persona series, which you enjoy but I've never played) generally operates as an advanced version of paper-rock-scissors. I can't touch Final Fantasy anymore because (i) the plot is always terrible, and (ii) fire-ice-lightning is just overworked. FFXII was different but that game was too expansive for my taste.

There's a certain degree of strategy, but its not nearly as deep as fighting games.

I'm referring specifically to the multiplayer aspect. I don't want to invest the time in getting good at a multiplayer game if the gameplay is shallow.

Yea, RPGs are basically rock-paper-scissors, but I'm not too big a fan of them, outside of specific instances like the aforementioned Persona series (which has a surprising amount of strategy involved, at least on the higher difficulties) and Demon's Souls, which is a real-time game.

I don't really think the Final Fantasy games are good games, from a gameplay perspective, they're just visual marvels that get a reboot every couple of years and I enjoy them mostly because of the legacy factor (I've been playing them since I was a kid and it's interesting to track the evolutions and changes) and the Japanese pop-culture that they're a representation of.